Started by Frosty Venom, Oct 04, 2018, 05:57:26 PM

Which do you like better?

Prometheus
70 (50%)
Alien Covenant
70 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 139

Author
Prometheus or Alien Covenant? (Read 34,243 times)

Frosty Venom

Which film do you feel is superior? Prometheus or Alien Covenant?

Samhain13

Samhain13

I gave both the same grade, but I think as an alien movie, Covenant is better overall. Despite not liking a lot of things related to the alien lore, I liked the characters, the history and events happening, the creatures more in comparison to Prometheus.

I still need to watch them again, haven't seen it since the theater and will try the extended fan edits. Might improve it for me.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

While I appreciate Covy's gothic style, I think I've got a crush on Promy imagery. I prefer Covy's narrative thought, So I can't it decide yet  :-\   

Jutland

Jutland

Alien Covenant all the way.

But oddly, now that AC exists, I've grown to like Prometheus more. For years I considered Prometheus a "failed horror film" but now I've seen AC I've realised Prometheus isn't a horror film at all, it's just a straightforward science fiction one.

Huntsman

Huntsman

Covenant.

The Old One

The Old One

Alien Covenant

whiterabbit

I honestly don't know but I'm always being reminded that A:C has a better script and flow. However Prometheus was much more valuable to science fiction. Then again Covenant has aliens and the bad guy wins. You can't beat that.

So yea, I'll vote for The Cov.

Nostromo

Nostromo

Wow, Covenant in the lead. The first 2/3 is pretty good besides the incredibly ridiculous and goofy Faris scene. It's all downhill with the Alien though..Prometheus a bit better overall.

Stitch

Stitch

I'm surprised by the votes so far. Prometheus is way better in my opinion.

windebieste

Quote from: Jutland on Oct 05, 2018, 06:53:06 AM
Alien Covenant all the way.

But oddly, now that AC exists, I've grown to like Prometheus more. For years I considered Prometheus a "failed horror film" but now I've seen AC I've realised Prometheus isn't a horror film at all, it's just a straightforward science fiction one.

I feel the same way about 'PROMETHEUS'.  Largely because it's become obvious the movie is a prelude of sorts, a prologue if you wish of a much larger, chaptered work in progress.  I see 'ALIEN: Covenant' as Chapter 1.  We need to see where the next movie is heading to really appreciate these movies.  They should clearly be experienced as parts of a greater whole.

We are so accustomed to seeing these movies be fully self contained but these latest 'ALIEN' entries are obviously the first part of a much greater, Grander, experience.  Scott said it was going to be epic.  The next script has already been written.  I think if it is (hopefully) eventually made, it will be better understood why these movies are structured the way they are. 

Right now, as it stands, it's akin to an author releasing the prologue and first chapter of a book.  We've had the introduction of the main themes of the prologue and the initial set up of the greater story has been set to unfold in chapter 1. 

It would be a sad thing if it just ended here, just where the meat of any classic novel starts to emerge in Chapter 2.  We really need to see what the next instalment is going to hold. 

It is for this reason they cannot be easily separated and appreciated individually.  It's an incomplete work; and that's obvious, too.

Highland

Highland

Voted Prometheus, but only just. Prometheus could have got better with the sequel, but I feel like it's like the Force Awakens of the Alien trilogy. The movie after it sort of just destroys what it was all about.

As a film on it's own, Covenant is not bad though. I've no doubt in years to come I'll get past all the stupid stuff and enjoy as a monster mash.

Hudson

Hudson

QuoteRight now, as it stands, it's akin to an author releasing the prologue and first chapter of a book.  We've had the introduction of the main themes of the prologue and the initial set up of the greater story has been set to unfold in chapter 1. 

Yeah, but Prometheus and Alien Covenant aren't excerpts of anything; they are self-contained feature-length narratives with different characters, settings, and plots. It's unfair for the filmmakers to feel entitled for audiences to be that patient when something is so weak on its own merit, and it's not a convention of the Alien series for audiences to take each work as a piece of a whole instead of individually, even though the first four movies do satisfy a single narrative arc. It's much different, say, than Star Wars, when we know for certain that we're dealing with trilogies.

That said, I can't choose or vote in this poll. I have no preference between these two.

whiterabbit

Scott changed his mind on who created the alien while totally forgetting that the alien already exists within Prometheus. Meaning there is a big who really "dun it" hole in the alien world. Which once again comes full circle as to why they wanted to destroy us. The next movie has to answer that.

Huntsman

Huntsman

Quote from: Nostromo on Oct 05, 2018, 11:02:02 PM
Wow, Covenant in the lead. The first 2/3 is pretty good besides the incredibly ridiculous and goofy Faris scene. It's all downhill with the Alien though..Prometheus a bit better overall.
I always thought Covenant was better. Prometheus is more of a drag, in my view.

SM

SM

Quote from: whiterabbit on Oct 07, 2018, 11:44:32 AM
Scott changed his mind on who created the alien while totally forgetting that the alien already exists within Prometheus. Meaning there is a big who really "dun it" hole in the alien world. Which once again comes full circle as to why they wanted to destroy us. The next movie has to answer that.

A Deaon already exists in Prometheus.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed