A Divergent timeline?

Started by Frosty Venom, Oct 01, 2018, 07:59:19 PM

Author
A Divergent timeline? (Read 602 times)

Frosty Venom

Frosty Venom

With the announcement of William Gibson's Alien 3 does this reopen the discussion of a divergent timeline after Neill Blomkamp's Alien film faded away, which was to follow a different timeline than Alien 3.

After the events of Aliens when Ripley, Hicks, Newt and Bishop enter the cryotubes of the USS Sulaco and begin the journey back to Earth this is where the divergence of timelines first occurs. In the main timeline the events of Alien 3 take place and therefore Alien Resurrection, Sea of Sorrows, Weyland Yutani Report etc.

In the secondary timeline the events of William Gibson's Alien 3 take place and due to a navigational error, the ship drifts into an area of space controlled by the "Union of Progressive Peoples" approximately 4-5 years after Aliens.

In a third divergent timeline upon returning to Earth they are quarantined. Hicks is reassigned, removed from active duty and imprisoned whilst Newt is sent to live with her grandparents but is eventually instated in a mental hospital. The events of the comics follow and Blomkamp's Alien could've potentially worked in somewhere.

Having these separate timelines existing side by side would untangle lots of contradictions in the EU and allow for some unique story angles.

Samhain13

Samhain13

In which timeline m'boy Turk is on?

Frosty Venom

Frosty Venom

I mean, I wouldn't ever want to include Colonial Marines; I didn't ever play Stasis Interrupted myself but if you'd really want to I suppose it could have it's own timeline. But it's explanation of what happened to cause the events of Alien 3 is as crap as the game. I think mostly everyone mutually agrees Colonial Marines never happened.

SM

SM

And therein lies the problem - what about the people who do want A:CM to happen?

There's one timeline and the stuff that doesn't fit can still be enjoyed as stuff that doesn't fit.  The Gibson adaptation included.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: Frosty Venom on Oct 01, 2018, 08:13:25 PM
I mean, I wouldn't ever want to include Colonial Marines; I didn't ever play Stasis Interrupted myself but if you'd really want to I suppose it could have it's own timeline. But it's explanation of what happened to cause the events of Alien 3 is as crap as the game. I think mostly everyone mutually agrees Colonial Marines never happened.

Haha. I'm mostly not serious in regards this stuff.  :P

For me I just fit in any material I feel like it in my own timeline, even if it brings contratictions and plotholes, it's fictional material made by flawed people so its bound to have issues.

The Old One

The Old One

Indeed, standalone non-canon stories.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Samhain13 on Oct 01, 2018, 08:04:09 PM
In which timeline m'boy Turk is on?
All of them.

Quote from: Samhain13 on Oct 01, 2018, 08:32:27 PM
Quote from: Frosty Venom on Oct 01, 2018, 08:13:25 PM

Haha. I'm mostly not serious in regards this stuff.  :P

For me I just fit in any material I feel like it in my own timeline, even if it brings contratictions and plotholes, it's fictional material made by flawed people so its bound to have issues.
I call it "fuzzy continuity", and there are other franchises that use that method. Everything is canon, and contradictions big and small are handwaved as "everything is coming from an unreliable source".

Quote from: The Old One on Oct 01, 2018, 08:40:46 PM
Indeed, standalone non-canon stories.
"Canon" is what you make of it. :)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

It's just a fun what-if.  :)

And one I'm really frigging excited for!

SentryGun

SentryGun

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 02, 2018, 07:18:44 AM
It's just a fun what-if.  :)

And one I'm really frigging excited for!

Yes!

The Old One

The Old One

As stated before, canon or non-canon. Be quality regardless and be worthwhile regardless.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed