Do you hope that "The Predator" will get a sequel sometime in the future?

Started by Aliens1986fanboy, Oct 01, 2018, 10:42:09 AM

Author
Do you hope that "The Predator" will get a sequel sometime in the future? (Read 7,376 times)

Aliens1986fanboy

I wouldn't mind seeing a sequel or two

viendammage

I'd watch it! Not sure where they planned on going with that ending, they go hunting for Predators on or off planet?

Eldritch_DM

Eh.... I kinda want them to leave it alone for a while and start fresh again. The Predator left a bad taste in my mouth like... I'm almost ashamed to have seen it.

Don't get me wrong, there were cool ideas in them and I like the Fugitive and Upgrade Pred a lot.

I'd love to have another stand-alone-ish film like Predators. I really loved it.

SM

None of the Predator films have had direct sequels.  I don't imagine anyone is screaming out for a sequel to a film that seems to be pretty mediocre.

Xenomrph

I'd be okay with a sequel in the sense of "another Predator movie", sure.

SiL

Wot 'e said ^

More Predator movies, yes. More The Predator movies, no thanks.

Xenomrph

Maybe this is just because I just got the action figure two-pack in the mail and re-read the comic series, but I wish 'The Predator' had been more of an adaptation of 'Bad Blood'. It's got some similar beats (opens with a space chase where one Predator ship shoots down another ship and forces it to crash on Earth, ex-soldiers go after a rogue Predator outside of suburbia, a second Predator also shows up to hunt the first Predator) but takes it in more interesting directions. The Predator-on-Predator action is more balanced, the "bad guy" Predator is more interesting (both visually, and his motivations), it doesn't really f**k with "the lore" but still shows us something new (a sociopath Predator).

Eldritch_DM

Quote from: Xenomrph on Dec 26, 2018, 06:00:37 AM
Maybe this is just because I just got the action figure two-pack in the mail and re-read the comic series, but I wish 'The Predator' had been more of an adaptation of 'Bad Blood'. It's got some similar beats (opens with a space chase where one Predator ship shoots down another ship and forces it to crash on Earth, ex-soldiers go after a rogue Predator outside of suburbia, a second Predator also shows up to hunt the first Predator) but takes it in more interesting directions. The Predator-on-Predator action is more balanced, the "bad guy" Predator is more interesting (both visually, and his motivations), it doesn't really f**k with "the lore" but still shows us something new (a sociopath Predator).

This! I kinda wished it was more like that than what we actually got.

I had friends go with me that like the movies but wouldn't really call them fans per say. They all kinda just looked at me funny when they started talking about the Preds splicing themselves with human DNA and wanting to preserve us from extinction. I just kinda shrugged and was like... "I dunno what to tell you guys..."

SiL

Do not understand why two regular Predators hunting each other isn't enough -- one's gotta be bigger! Badder! Genetically modified!

Xenomrph

Quote from: SiL on Dec 26, 2018, 06:05:04 AM
Do not understand why two regular Predators hunting each other isn't enough -- one's gotta be bigger! Badder! Genetically modified!
You can probably trace it back to comic book logic - one of the easiest ways to show the audience that your new bad guy is Serious Business is by having him stomp the shit out of the hero (or previous bad guy).

I'm not saying it's good writing, it's just a common, go-to trope.

It also works better if the hero or whoever is, you know, not outright killed and is able to later overcome the Serious Business bad guy.

Eldritch_DM

Quote from: Xenomrph on Dec 26, 2018, 06:10:21 AM
You can probably trace it back to comic book logic - one of the easiest ways to show the audience that your new bad guy is Serious Business is by having him stomp the shit out of the hero (or previous bad guy).

It also works better if the hero or whoever is, you know, not outright killed and is able to later overcome the Serious Business bad guy.

A trope that is getting harder and harder to subvert for those wishing to do something different with the over saturation of super-hero movies nowdays.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Badwolf-00 on Dec 26, 2018, 06:12:33 AM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Dec 26, 2018, 06:10:21 AM

A trope that is getting harder and harder to subvert for those wishing to do something different with the over saturation of super-hero movies nowdays.
I felt Avengers: Infinity War handled it well with Thanos' henchmen. They're all consistently portrayed as being dangerous and competent, but don't grind any of the heroes into dust (let alone kill any of them), and end up getting defeated in satisfying ways.
If anything it cribs from 80s/90s action movie "henchmen". They're portrayed as more dangerous and difficult to overcome (and therefore more memorable) than your basic red-shirt mook, they force the heroes to regroup and reassess, but they're not insurmountable.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Xenomrph on Dec 26, 2018, 05:50:55 AM
I'd be okay with a sequel in the sense of "another Predator movie", sure.

This^^^

They're all sequels in the loosest sense of the word anyway.

Highland

No. This one's dead. Will wait for next one.

Maybe they should get a bit smarter and just close the endings instead of the "next time on Predator".

I liked the Predators ending, was closed and open at the same time.

Wysps

Absolutely not.  The Predator Killer suit 'killed' it for me, in every sense of the word.

I wouldn't mind seeing a film loosely tied to Predators, but at this point since so much time as elapsed, I'd probably prefer seeing something new altogether.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed