So let's write a new movie

Started by SentryGun, Sep 26, 2018, 11:50:57 AM

Author
So let's write a new movie (Read 1,434 times)

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Hell in the Pacific, Enemy Mine, Milo and Otis(yes I know about the horror), The Incredible Journey, Arashi no Yoru ni, Cast Away, The Old man and the Sea...

Shit I know most are doubles and there are other people in them but for the most part they are two character movies. Hell some of them are about animals walking. I'm sure there are more but a good movie could be made without people. Call it nuance or some shit. I know there are others as well. Just can't remember them off the top of my head.

Still the two character would be the alien and the predator. Basically men in rubber suits. It can be made to work. There can be people, in the way, but not important.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I kinda liked how the original AvP comic was basically nothing but panel after panel of the aliens and predators doing their thing with a "voiceover" of two space truckers having a debate about man versus nature.  I kinda wish the entire series had been like that.

Still Collating...

Yeah, that opening of the AvP comic was beautiful and realized well. I'd be all for something like that.

The Old One

The Old One

Agreed.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Damn, I'm on a roll lately.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: whiterabbit on Sep 27, 2018, 09:57:47 AM
Shit I know most are doubles and there are other people in them
This is my point, you can't really list a movie with literally two people that's actually engaging for 90 minutes, let alone a pantomime of two guys in rubber suits doing -- what, exactly?

The AvP comic was fine -- but it was a comic, and a single issue. Even then it had more than one Alien and one Predator!

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: SiL on Sep 27, 2018, 10:04:15 PM
This is my point, you can't really list a movie with literally two people that's actually engaging for 90 minutes, let alone a pantomime of two guys in rubber suits doing -- what, exactly?

The AvP comic was fine -- but it was a comic, and a single issue. Even then it had more than one Alien and one Predator!
While I agree overall, there have been good movies with 1-2 people. It's not common, but it's not impossible.
- Buried
- (most of) Life of Pi
- Moon
- 127 Hours
- Gravity
- Before Sunrise/Before Sunset

A good candidate for a "1 Alien, 1 Predator" story is 'AvP: Chained to Life and Death', but even that would work best as a short film.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 27, 2018, 10:38:41 PM

While I agree overall, there have been good movies with 1-2 people. It's not common, but it's not impossible.
- Buried
- (most of) Life of Pi
- Moon
- 127 Hours
- Gravity

A good candidate for a "1 Alien, 1 Predator" story is 'AvP: Chained to Life and Death', but even that would work best as a short film.
All of those films have more than 2 characters :P

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

You know, I didn't actually mean literally no humans. Just no humans front and centered. There can be other aliens too. On second thought, there doesn't even need too be discernible dialog. Yea why be chicken shit about, lets make a movie that is literally just one predator vs one alien. Lets get truly Alien here in movie making.

The Old One

The Old One

I've seen "true Alien" in film.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: SiL on Sep 28, 2018, 12:22:52 AM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 27, 2018, 10:38:41 PM

- Buried
- (most of) Life of Pi
- Moon
- 127 Hours
- Gravity

All of those films have more than 2 characters :P
N-.. no they don't? Not more than two main characters. Buried is literally set entirely in a wooden coffin. Gravity has Sandra Bullock and George Clooney (and Ed Harris has a couple lines at the beginning) and George Clooney dies pretty early on. The vast majority of 127 Hours is James Franco alone, pinned under the rock. Sure there are other human beings present in Before Sunrise and Before Sunset, but both movies are only about two people.

I also forgot about 'All Is Lost', with Robert Redford.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 28, 2018, 01:18:33 AM
Not more than two main characters.
Entirely different conversation to the point I was making. I was asking about films with literally two characters. Not two mains, just two, total.

SM

SM

I wrote an AvP comic script yonks ago that had three Predators (two main; one supporting) and an Alien.  No dialogue.  Sil was going to do the artwork at one point...  Spaghetti did do some artwork, come to think of it.

But it was only 10 pages or so, and while you could lengthen it, even half an hour would be stretching it.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: D88M on Sep 27, 2018, 03:05:44 AM
what about an AVP story with just one Alien and one Predator in it? Something more suspensful and intimate and claustrophobic like the first movies.

Sounds good for a short film.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: SiL on Sep 28, 2018, 01:45:07 AM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 28, 2018, 01:18:33 AM
Not more than two main characters.
Entirely different conversation to the point I was making. I was asking about films with literally two characters. Not two mains, just two, total.
For storytelling purposes, what's the difference?

As an example, you could omit Ed Harris from 'Gravity' entirely and then you do actually have a movie with only two characters in it. Likewise, 'All is Lost' genuinely only has one character.

Like I agree that movies with 1-2 characters are rare, and I don't think it would work well for an AvP movie, but saying that movies with only 2 characters don't exist is objectively false. :P

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed