Aliens' Al Matthews Dies Age 75

Started by Corporal Hicks, Sep 24, 2018, 08:57:38 AM

Author
Aliens' Al Matthews Dies Age 75 (Read 16,526 times)

AVP-CAPCOM

AVP-CAPCOM

This guy is such a legend, never forget his on screen introduction in ALIENS when everyone wakes up from cryosleep.

(copy and pasted from http://www.moviequotedb.com/movies/aliens/character_122.html )

"All right sweethearts, what are you waiting for, breakfast in bed? Another glorious day in the corps. A day in the Marine Corps is like a day on the farm. Every meal is a banquet. Every paycheck a fortune. Every formation a parade. I LOVE the corps!".

The fact he served time in VIETNAM for real (nope not acting, actual military service) and got two purple hearts and a notable promotion while on tour?
Credit to the man.

In fact not to sound PC but I think "THE BLACK PANTHER"  (2018) is disrespectful to actors who, in light of what BLACK PANTHER claims, have gone before that MARVEL film hit.

Immediately I thought, reading BP press release, "never have African actors ever had such a limelight front or centre of a film production". My immediate thought was "Excuse me! Spare a thought for Al Matthews he worked on a (mixed race) movie in ALIENS and no-one made a big deal about it. Cause it had more equality and didn't discriminate (positive or negatively) towards race and sex, not even mentioning it or over-compensating. Let alone Al Matthews did military service in VIETNAM".

Bit young to get the Grange Hill (a very long running UK TV drama series about a fictional high school in London) reference but looked it up. Wow that explains why he got the ALIENS gig (cause it was filmed in or near London in the 1980s).

Still Collating...

He was my favorite marine. Very sad news, he will be missed.  :'(

proto leech

Quote from: Xhan on Sep 24, 2018, 08:54:47 PM
The world just got a little smaller.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUuhndeOuQI

My shit has been secured.

Now and forever.

whiterabbit

Quote from: AVP-CAPCOM on Sep 25, 2018, 05:19:30 PM
This guy is such a legend, never forget his on screen introduction in ALIENS when everyone wakes up from cryosleep.
He just wakes from hypersleep and loads a cigar. Can't beat that introduction ever.

He also credits the alien as an actual threat. You didn't feel that the marines were in real danger until he was taken out. "the sarge's gone, let's get the f**k out of here". That entire performance was just to set up the alien as the most dangerous species in the galaxy. If Apone survived the first attack they surely would have mounted a much more creditable defense if not an actual counter attack.

Nostromo

Nostromo

Rest in peace! Great actor! One of the best in Aliens.

Richman678

Richman678

RIP. Your performance in Aliens has inspired so many other characters. You can be proud sir you are an originator!!!

Dr Feelgood

Dr Feelgood

RIP SIR :'(

Naginata

Naginata

One of the most legendary character introductions in cinematic history. RIP.

TheSailingRabbit

I knew I was missing something while at boot camp. Upon entering separations, there were some chances to get news from the outside world. What does everyone else care about? Somebody called Mack Miller? All anyone wanted to hear about were celebrity feuds and whatnot.

I didn't learn about Al Matthews's passing until I came home and opened my Twitter. I know I'm late, but respect is respect. He did a fantastic job playing Apone, and it's incredible knowing he served in Vietnam. Prayers and condolences go out to his family and friends.

elsiniestro

Alexander "Al" Matthews...? Guess that means Apone's first name is Alex.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: elsiniestro on Nov 13, 2018, 10:21:32 AM
Alexander "Al" Matthews...? Guess that means Apone's first name is Alex.

His first name is Sergeant.

That's Sergeant Apone to you. Look into my eye.

:D

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Huggs on Nov 13, 2018, 03:11:34 PMHis first name is Sergeant.

That's Sergeant Apone to you. Look into my eye.

:D

HuDaFuK approves this post.

Berend

Berend

That man could chew a sigar like no one else

Whiskeybrewer

Quote from: Berend on Dec 07, 2018, 08:49:52 AM

That man could chew a sigar like no one else

Arnie must have got lessons from him

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed