What I actually kind of like from the Alien prequels

Started by EJA, Sep 19, 2018, 10:34:20 AM

Author
What I actually kind of like from the Alien prequels (Read 7,606 times)

EJA

A lot of aspects of the prequel films Prometheus and Alien: Covenant by Ridley Scott bother me greatly, but I'll tell you all what I personally feel was done well in them: The revelation that the Engineers/Space Jockeys, beneath their totally otherworldy exterior, are virtually identical to us. Somehow, I feel this almost makes the initial concept even creepier. I'm also not entirely opposed to them having created us along with the Alien. But yeah, that really is just about all I like. Just wish the writing and a lot of the other concepts were better handled.

whiterabbit

... but it was the David™ advanced prototype model number 008 that created the Alien.

Although yea, finding out all of those neato stories were actually true and that we are nothing more than mere playthings for that gods really brings it home.

EJA

Quote from: whiterabbit on Sep 19, 2018, 11:03:56 AM
... but it was the David™ advanced prototype model number 008 that created the Alien.

Ugh. Don't remind me.

Huggs

Quote from: EJA on Sep 19, 2018, 02:17:57 PM

Ugh. Don't remind me.

He invented...nothing. 

Nothing I say! ;)

whiterabbit

Quote from: Huggs on Sep 21, 2018, 12:30:23 AM
Quote from: EJA on Sep 19, 2018, 02:17:57 PM

Ugh. Don't remind me.

He invented...nothing. 

Nothing I say! ;)
Well at the moment I feel confident saying he created nothing more that bootlegged xenomorphs.

Baron Von Marlon

SM

Highland

The tones of the films are quite good til you put the Alien in it. I think Scott's initial plans would have been better.

whiterabbit

Yea he should went full nose and had Jesus Christ be an alien.

Highland

Quote from: whiterabbit on Sep 21, 2018, 06:53:08 AM
Yea he should went full nose and had Jesus Christ be an alien.

I just mean I think he was on the right track with Prometheus. It made the most money, it's arguably the better film. The Engineers and the whole mythos that Prometheus had going is sort of just the side show to getting the monsters on the screen.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

What I actually kind of like from the Alien prequels is that Scott alienated his story from our personal tastes, confirmation biases and even from our own expectations; making something different, and I kinda respect that. And while the whole prequel series is far from being a couple of smart films, but rather a pair of pretentious ones, I like the art trivia and the philosophical plot elements. On a side note, the designs are elegant (despite the lack of Giger's biomechanics) & Scott's direction / cinematography is masterful. So yeah, even if the original films are just monster movies, there is a worthy attempt from Scott to bring something different but in a intellectual level instead of your regular Marve-lesque cinematic universe or your unoriginal & predictable Jurassic World's modus operandi (bigger and badder). I'd say it's safe to say that the last Predator movie suffers from this two trendy ways of make films. But overall, maybe the Alien franchise wasn't the right place to do that, but a new and totaly unrrelated universe instead.

The Old One

The Old One

The Alien universe was absolutely the right place to do it, the writing just isn't on the masterful level it needed to be.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Do you realize that a well written Prometheus means bye bye Covenant?  :D

The Old One

The Old One

It wouldn't be "Covenant" but it could still exist, ambiguity isn't Prometheus' problem.

Immortan Jonesy

With better reviews, without interference from FOX and ignoring the fans complaints; the shoehorned Alien (and offscreen death) wouldn't be required.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed