Shane Black got hung out to dry??- This movie stinks of a FOX f-up

Started by Original Predator, Sep 18, 2018, 07:22:45 PM

Author
Shane Black got hung out to dry??- This movie stinks of a FOX f-up (Read 11,269 times)

Original Predator

This site has protected Shane since he was announced to direct the film.  It's time to keep doing so. 

"I'd love to bid goodbye to this thing. As sad it sounds, it's been a long road. If it does well, great, but my lord, it's been seemingly forever."

That doesn't sound like a director that's excited about the film he got to make/just finished up making.  Also sounds like he has no interest in ever coming back to it for that matter.   

I think Shane was raked over the coals and then some by the FOX big-wigs.  My fear all along was not Shane Black, but rather it was Shane Black not being allowed to be Shane Black.

Shane's 4 previous Director credits were NOT with "Twentieth Century FOX".  I think Black was completely boxed in- with most aspects of this movie. I don't think we got to see his ideas come to fruition.  I think most elements of this film were "here put this in, make sure this is in it...our intel says we need this in it too..." Big Wig style.

The only thing that resembles a good director in this film is that the editing is soooo bad, (for a film of this budget and scale) that it could have only been done by a good director as a "f-you" to the studio. 

Even the scripts I bet were heavily edited and redone by FOX.  This thing is officially in the trash.  Fox's fault. I don't blame Black, cause I think somewhere, at some point, this was gonna be a good Shane Black Pred movie.  There are a few "moments" where you can see Black-like work....and they were solid.  It's too bad.

D88M

This is probably true, and the amount of butchering in this movie reeks of studio meddling, like has happenned with Justice League, Suicide Squad, Rogue One, Solo, etc.
But maybe they were trying to "save" the movie or make it shorter to gain more viewings and money because they knew it was bad, because on the other hand, this is from the director of Iron Man 3, a movie that has the exact same problem as The Predator: It had nothing to do with the universe it was set in.
Both movies have characters named after the Iron Man and Predator worlds, but there is nothing that resembles those characters or tone or anything.
So i take that Shane had no idea what he was doing and was just doing his own thing with disregard for all the previous movies.
A lot of people, and i dont mean just here but everywhere, defend the movie only becaue Shane made it and has a filmmaking style that they love.
I dont know who he is, i only saw Iron Man 3 from him, and is also an awful movie, so i am gonna put the blame on him.
Also, did Shane not made the leaked script along with Dekker or whatever is his name? The script that was even more stupid than the movie we got? If so, there you have your answer, they just made a bad script.

Naginata

The movie stinks of several concurrent f**k-ups IMO. Script, studio interference, behind-the-scenes f**k-ups, etc.

Original Predator

Quote from: D88M on Sep 18, 2018, 11:19:33 PM
This is probably true, and the amount of butchering in this movie reeks of studio meddling, like has happenned with Justice League, Suicide Squad, Rogue One, Solo, etc.
But maybe they were trying to "save" the movie or make it shorter to gain more viewings and money because they knew it was bad, because on the other hand, this is from the director of Iron Man 3, a movie that has the exact same problem as The Predator: It had nothing to do with the universe it was set in.
Both movies have characters named after the Iron Man and Predator worlds, but there is nothing that resembles those characters or tone or anything.
So i take that Shane had no idea what he was doing and was just doing his own thing with disregard for all the previous movies.
A lot of people, and i dont mean just here but everywhere, defend the movie only becaue Shane made it and has a filmmaking style that they love.
I dont know who he is, i only saw Iron Man 3 from him, and is also an awful movie, so i am gonna put the blame on him.
Also, did Shane not made the leaked script along with Dekker or whatever is his name? The script that was even more stupid than the movie we got? If so, there you have your answer, they just made a bad script.

I agree with most of this.  Shane is/was being billed as the next great thing.   And had yet to do a "great" movie (He's done "good" movies) But nothing that would/will go down in movie lore.

I'm trying to give him the benefit of doubt here.  Cause in this case I can't believe a movie on this scale could turn out so bad.  We are talking about scenes barely put together, cuts and edits that were just plain bad (no other word to describe it). For all the talk up Black was getting I gotta believe this wasn't on him.  The studio had to have undercut most of his sh-t.

I didn't see Iron Man 3 (not a Marvel guy) but again, the things introduced new to this Pred Universe I'd like to believe Shane had some backstory to "connect" his audience to.  I'm now curious to watch Iron Man 3 to see if there are the same issues that are CLEAR and PRESENT in this film as there are in that film. 

I'm just baffled.  Like still even after a few days of this soaking in....all I can do is just be baffled. 

Naginata

Shane Black was never billed as the "next big thing" because Shane Black has been an established big nae action director for years. He did Leathal Weapon fer chrissake.

Uncanny Antman

Quote from: Naginata on Sep 19, 2018, 12:55:30 AM
Shane Black was never billed as the "next big thing" because Shane Black has been an established big nae action director for years. He did Leathal Weapon fer chrissake.
No he didn't.  That was Richard Donner.   Shane Black's first directing credit wasn't until 2005.

Original Predator

Quote from: Naginata on Sep 19, 2018, 12:55:30 AM

He didn't "do" Lethal Weapon.

And on this site.  Yes he was billed and regarded as the next big thing and that this movie "can't" fail.  And The masses on this site got it wrong. 

That's ok tho.  Cuz I'm trying to give Black the benefit of doubt that he's not that bad of a director as this movie showed. 

It's really sad to say that the AVP's from a film making standpoint were cut and edited cohesively better with less "wait, when did that happen" moments, than Shane's Predator movie. 

Samhain13

Samhain13

Autism as superpower. Global warming killing us in one generation. Bad lines. Bad jokes. Predators's dna upgrades and plans to invade Earth because they like the heat. The Predator dogs.

I think that's all on him and the other guy that wrote the script with him, and I hated this crap, to think I would miss having Predators teaching humans how to build pyramids and Wolf's magical blue goo. The only things that the studio got involved was making the Fugitive come to Earth to give humans the predator suit. I think I would have prefered those predators wearing military pants over what we got at the end. But it would just make the movie go from 5/10 to 6/10 depending on how the friendly predators were handled.

It would still be bad movie for me. The studio probably saw the mess Shane was making and got so desperated they resorted to the worse idea we had so far in a predator movie, because they know even less about the creature than Shane. The studio/Fox wanted the Predalien to use predator weapons, turn invisible and fight both aliens and predators on AVPR. They are that crazy.

If some nobodies like the Strauses were able to prevent that, why coudn't Shane do the same about the suit...

Original Predator

Quote from: Samhain13 on Sep 19, 2018, 01:43:48 AM
Autism as superpower. Global warming killing us in one generation. Bad lines. Bad jokes. Predators's dna upgrades and plans to invade Earth because they like the heat. The Predator dogs.

I think that's all on him and the other guy that wrote the script with him, and I hated this crap, to think I would miss having Predators teaching humans how to build pyramids and Wolf's magical blue goo. The only things that the studio got involved was making the Fugitive come to Earth to give humans the predator suit. I think I would have prefered those predators wearing military pants over what we got at the end. But it would just make the movie go from 5/10 to 6/10 depending on how the friendly predators were handled.

It would still be bad movie for me. The studio probably saw the mess Shane was making and got so desperated they resorted to the worse idea we had so far in a predator movie, because they know even less about the creature than Shane. The studio/Fox wanted the Predalien to use predator weapons, turn invisible and fight both aliens and predators on AVPR. They are that crazy.

If some nobodies like the Strauses were able to prevent that, why coudn't Shane do the same about the suit...

Hate to say but I can't argue much with this. 

Scary to think Black was that bad. 

whiterabbit

Hey remember when Black said he was glad it was over? Guess what? He meant it to be taken quite literally I bet.

newagescamartist

The script was shit to begin with. I'm not going to apologize for Black because if you start with shit you end with shit.

Nostromo

Fox doesn't use editors for its films.

whiterabbit

ok... and this film was clearly lost in the edit room.

oduodu

So it was Shane's idea to include the Iron Man suit?

as to who Shane is: he was in the original predator as an actor  and was sent to keep an eye on Mctiernan and he has also made contributions to the Predator script. therefore he has more insight into the Predator franchise than most. and he is a very good writer. it seems one of the best.

that should make him an ideal candidate to direct a Predator movie.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed