Anyone else think it's time for fox to stop with Predator and Alien?

Started by shakermakerman, Sep 16, 2018, 12:37:19 PM

Author
Anyone else think it's time for fox to stop with Predator and Alien? (Read 8,715 times)

Naginata

Naginata

Eh, David being the sole creator of all xenos is pretty easily retcon-able anyway.

"He was wrong, and it was just the one strain."

That could even get you a situation where the black goo will, sooner or later, create something Xenomorph-ish, which could imply the elixir of life has an "undo" button - a pretty cool concept that elevates the Xenos back to a more Lovecraftian threat.

If that sounds dumb, remember: It's this or time travel.  :-X

EJA

Quote from: Marc505 on Sep 16, 2018, 07:07:04 PM
I don't think AvP as a concept is dead. There's enough excellent, horrific, scary ideas there to make an incredible film.

To the average movie goer though it might not get the time of day anymore after the last two

AVP is dead. Predator is dead. End of.

Naginata

Quote from: EJA on Sep 16, 2018, 07:09:08 PM
I don't think AvP as a concept is dead. There's enough excellent, horrific, scary ideas there to make an incredible film.

To the average movie goer though it might not get the time of day anymore after the last two

If AVP:R couldn't kill it, nothing can.

The Old One

The Old One

Generally Agreed Naginata
You could state that he was simply mistaken in his belief that he was creating it for the first time, and was unconsciously following instructions.

Look upon my works, ye mighty- and despair.

Marc505

Quote from: EJA on Sep 16, 2018, 07:09:08 PM

I believe you're probably right especially from a big studio production point of view. We can but hope though.

EJA

I'm going to be honest now: No one really gives a crap about Predator. It's never been a particularly high ranking franchise. Honestly, there is much more chance of Ridley churning out movie after movie about David and how he is behind everything Alien. I'd advise you to forget all about Predator, and AVP. It's done.

Fleshwound

I don't think the franchises are dead but they need to get better people involved and then not interfere with the production. The Predator was transparently altered by studio interference. Maybe after Disney's aquisition they can let it rest for a few years then try again with maybe a more competent studio production staff behind it.

Naginata

So no new continuity-wrecking movies but Dark Horse and Titan are still free to tell new stories without having to 'tie in' to anything? Win-Win.

EJA

Quote from: Fleshwound on Sep 16, 2018, 07:16:09 PM
I don't think the franchises are dead but they need to get better people involved and then not interfere with the production. The Predator was transparently altered by studio interference. Maybe after Disney's aquisition they can let it rest for a few years then try again with maybe a more competent studio production staff behind it.

The David franchise definitely isn't dead. That will go on for a while, you can bet on it. Predator or AVP......No more movies after this. I had an idea for a follow up, but it was really awful.

Naginata

Naginata

I reiterate my earlier statement about AVPR...

EDIT: Also, David is bae, and must have many more movies in which to wreck shit.

EJA

Quote from: Naginata on Sep 16, 2018, 07:21:04 PM
I reiterate my earlier statement about AVPR...

There'll be no more movies though.

The Old One

The Old One

Hyperbole seems to be a pattern.

Naginata

Yeah, everyone said that after AVP:R. I'm not trying to be difficult, just making a point: if there's money in it, they'll try again.

Dusk

I'm not even sure I'd say Studio interference ruined the Movie. There's still a ton leftover from what was in the original script. It's the 3rd act that was completely revamped and thanks to it The Loonies, which many seemed to like, stuck around longer before they found their end. A lot of the really terrible stuff like 3 legged Predators are gone from the Movie, but the Predator dogs still existed and were used as jokes like in the original script. Probably the only thing that reeks of studio interference is the ending. But I'd say 90% of the Movie, that's all on Black and Dekker.

The problem started in the script stages and 90% of it should have never been used. And Black's sensibilities just don't mesh with the Predator franchise. For someone who starred in the first Movie, it seems like the doesn't understand the creature and the franchise at all.

Fleshwound

Quote from: EJA on Sep 16, 2018, 07:19:31 PM

The David franchise definitely isn't dead. That will go on for a while, you can bet on it. Predator or AVP......No more movies after this. I had an idea for a follow up, but it was really awful.
The David stuff needs to die off. It hijacked the Alien franchise and turned it into a second rate Blade Runner franchise (which says something when the guy who created Blade Runner messed it up).

Quote from: Dusk on Sep 16, 2018, 07:25:59 PM

I'm not even sure I'd say Studio interference ruined the Movie. There's still a ton leftover from what was in the original script. It's the 3rd act that was completely revamped and thanks to it The Loonies, which many seemed to like, stuck around longer before they found their end. A lot of the really terrible stuff like 3 legged Predators are gone from the Movie, but the Predator dogs still existed and were used as jokes like in the original script. Probably the only thing that reeks of studio interference is the ending. But I'd say 90% of the Movie, that's all on Black and Dekker.

The problem started in the script stages and 90% of it should have never been used. And Black's sensibilities just don't mesh with the Predator franchise. For someone who starred in the first Movie, it seems like the doesn't understand the creature and the franchise at all.
I avoided reading the script or spoilers from it for the most part. So if the movie really wasn't interfered with that much then why the hell is it so inconsistent and choppy?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed