The Predator Behind-the-scenes Thread

Started by Corporal Hicks, Sep 16, 2018, 12:30:59 PM

Author
The Predator Behind-the-scenes Thread (Read 134,480 times)

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jan 12, 2019, 04:41:50 AM
Quote from: SiL on Jan 12, 2019, 04:32:10 AM
Ain't nothing topping the original.

Hell, Winston's own team couldn't do it :P

Yeah but i had no issue with the P2 pred effects (aside from that one shot with the wide eyes, but thats just one shot.), even if they werent better than the original. I would be happy to get back to even that level of qaulity when it comes to the mandibles/mouth.

Yeah, I whole heartedly disagree with SiL's suggestion. P2's City Hunter and the Elder was just as good as P1's Jungle Hunter in my opinion.

Quote from: The Old One on Jan 12, 2019, 04:42:05 AM]
So, the problem comes from not sculpting the mouth to close to begin with.
I wonder then is that a choice ADI made or it just so happens it's a choice;
Paul Anderson, The Strause Bros and Shane Black all made.

Then you've got KNB- that got the "X" correct, but otherwise the mouth
couldn't close or articulate much, to quote Leonna and then Danny boy-
"What the f**k is going on?"
"This is not good Mike, not good at all."

Yeah, I'll still give props to KNB. It's no Winston design but at least it's not a Crabator.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jan 12, 2019, 04:35:39 AM
Hence the problem. It results in The Crabator, unnecessary, widely unappealing changes to the fictional character's inherent design.
Agreed there.

Quote from: The Old One on Jan 12, 2019, 04:42:05 AM
So, the problem comes from not sculpting the mouth to close to begin with-
I wonder then is that a choice ADI made or it just so happens to be a choice;
Paul Anderson, The Strause Bros and Shane Black all made.
Anderson wanted more "heroic", handsome-looking Predators, so the mandibles became marginalised. With AvPR they wanted to make the most of the fact they didn't need to use the actor's eyes and created a very differently shaped head. The Predator, eh, probably used to it by now and nobody said to do otherwise.

QuoteThen you've got KNB- that got the "X" correct,
The "x" is only for certain cases. The original doesn't actually make much of an "X", more of a T or Y shape. The lower mandibles aim relatively straight up, and the upper mandibles either sit across or with a slight downward turn.

The lower mandibles aim in a bit, but it's not an X.

EDIT
I should specific "T or Y at rest"...

The Old One

The Old One

The Elder was the original, just all "dolled up"
to be older and accessorised to look different.

KNB's also got wrinkly mouth going on.
This guy/gal's got it more right than
anyone since 1990- and I'm not saying
ADI or KNB didn't do other things right.
IMO they can and have gotten nearly -
all else correct but the mandibles.

SiL

SiL

KNB's got a weird problem where the upper mandibles are lower than the bridge of the upper jaw, which just looks wrong.

That video looks like one of AlienFX's suits. They do amazing replicas of the original Predator -- but they're specifically trying to create replicas. Their custom Predators can be quite different.

The Old One

The Old One

Yet KNB's was trying specifically to create the original too.
Couldn't find anything on "AlienFX" BTW, kept getting A.W.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: The Old One on Jan 12, 2019, 05:20:35 AM
Yet KNB's was trying specifically to create the original too.
They don't make a living off it though :P

QuoteCouldn't find anything on "AlienFX" BTW, kept getting A.W.
https://www.facebook.com/AliensFX/

AliensFX, my bad.

The Old One

The Old One

This seems to be the right approach;

;D

Not saying all Predators should be the same,
but the way the mandibles operate should be.

SiL

SiL

I agree about the mandibles. They work best when they close the mouth and work kind of like funky lips. They should be used to create both subtle and gross expression.

Uncanny Antman

As well as the mouth actually closing, I still don't understand how companies like KNB or ADI seem incapable of making the flaps between the mandibles seem "real".  The originals act like skin, stretching and behaving believably, whereas the subsequent ones all bunch and fold in abnormal ways.

The Old One

The Old One

Maybe all the BTS is bullshit and Stan Winston had real Alien friends.
:P

Still Collating...

I wholeheartedly agree with what's been said here. The mouth has been annoying me more and more over the years, but the cheek flaps are a greater problem for me. They need to be smooth and elastic, to seem more natural. The mouth shape is clearly a design choice in the sense that they don't care for the closed mouth, so we get what we usually get. Fugitive looked great in the movie, it's just these little details that are left to make the predator suits perfect, aesthetic wise.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jan 12, 2019, 04:14:35 AM
Quote from: 426Buddy on Jan 12, 2019, 12:49:12 AM
Its too bad we didnt get an actual answer from Alec Gillis. Im not sure if he understood what he was be asked exactly and got a lil defensive.

I was so happy to hear Old One's queston raised, and was looking forward to finally understanding the drastic design changes. But Alec did sound a bit defensive in my opinion, and was quick to dismiss the question as nonsense. Also, Hicks surprisingly even had trepidation in asking her question, which confounded the situation even further.

Pft. Was RidgeTop who didn't want to ask that. Though I knew it might go down poorly, I knew it needed asking.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 12, 2019, 05:03:28 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jan 12, 2019, 04:14:35 AM
Quote from: 426Buddy on Jan 12, 2019, 12:49:12 AM
Its too bad we didnt get an actual answer from Alec Gillis. Im not sure if he understood what he was be asked exactly and got a lil defensive.

I was so happy to hear Old One's queston raised, and was looking forward to finally understanding the drastic design changes. But Alec did sound a bit defensive in my opinion, and was quick to dismiss the question as nonsense. Also, Hicks surprisingly even had trepidation in asking her question, which confounded the situation even further.

Pft. Was RidgeTop who didn't want to ask that. Though I knew it might go down poorly, I knew it needed asking.

Ah, sorry for the mistaken identity / mistaken recollection good friend. Also glad you found the topic with merrit. Now, on to business.

{ scans room for a certain suspicious individual, until finding him at the bar }

RidgeTop...

;)

TheSailingRabbit

Are you trying to annoy the mods, Voodoo?

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: TheSailingRabbit on Jan 13, 2019, 02:55:28 PM
Are you trying to annoy the mods, Voodoo?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed