Shane Black Talks The Predator's Third Act Revisions

Started by Corporal Hicks, Sep 11, 2018, 02:32:37 PM

Author
Shane Black Talks The Predator's Third Act Revisions (Read 21,191 times)

Samhain13

Quote from: Serpico Jones on Sep 11, 2018, 05:04:00 PM
So basically Fox didn't want Arnold in the movie because they didn't want to pay his salary and felt he was box office poison. I think that was a mistake.

Indeed. Arnie would have been a better marketing tool than anything else we had in the last years. They should have given a better role for Arnie even if it meant doing a lot of changes to the script. But I'm glad he didn't participate, the original ending with Dutch was cheesy, still not as bad as the one we got.

funk_master_chunk

Sounds like studio involvement has f**ked this, IMO.

Arnie saying no will no doubt have been a big blow to everyone; but I'm not having that the best they could do in the months/years since he said no is "I know, guys - LET'S GIVE HUMANS PRED TECH COZ REASONS!"

No. It sounds like they want to piggy back off the success of the MCU at the expense of what makes the Predator the Predator.

As poor as the script/concept was initially it was salvageable. Now humankind has Pred Tech and we're being invaded by Chads. And the original antagonist has been shit on from a great height.

After my initil scepticism, I was really looking forward to this, I'm not going to lie. Especially after they announced the reshoots and re-structure of the finale.

But then they go and give us an "Iron Pred" suit?? They can f**k off.

Huge kick in the teeth this.

georgeromero

Quote from: Samhain13 on Sep 11, 2018, 06:45:36 PM
Quote from: Serpico Jones on Sep 11, 2018, 05:04:00 PM
So basically Fox didn't want Arnold in the movie because they didn't want to pay his salary and felt he was box office poison. I think that was a mistake.

Indeed. Arnie would have been a better marketing tool than anything else we had in the last years. They should have given a better role for Arnie even if it meant doing a lot of changes to the script. But I'm glad he didn't participate, the original ending with Dutch was cheesy, still not as bad as the one we got.

When was the last time Arnie brought $$ for studios? We don't know (most of us) how things work out behind the curtains but from a business perspective if you see your asset keeps failing for the last few years you replace that asset.

Quoteit was the same set, the same sequence basically, but all set during the day with them attacking the Ark and freeing the kid, and running away with the predator chasing them but it was all daylight. It just... we started to do our effects work, and it looked kind of cheap in a way. It looked... it didn't really feel like a big expensive movie when the predators are just running around in daylight like that.

Yet the creature looked convincing in P1 during daytime scenes. In fact most horrifying and gory scenes were done during daytime.

The Old One

The Old One

It's actually something that's always stuck with me about Predator, most monsters appear in the cold, at night, in deep space, old structures, on dead worlds.

The Predator hunts in an uncomfortably hot,
bright environment.
The idea of the Predator running across the rooftops and skyscrapers on a hot summer's day, in fact it's stuck with me more than him in the jungle with a isolated group.

Take him to the desert next is my vote.

Shimmering Canopy

darn it shane. You were the chosen one!
will still go watch it though. twice probably. and get the bluray. Anyway, Why can't they come up with a decent fiiiilm!

PredBabe

Quote from: Wysps on Sep 11, 2018, 03:02:37 PM
Sounds like it's coming from a man who has worked very hard, but is incredibly tired and maybe even a little defeated. How much of the movie was him and how much the studio I wonder.

I know, that part of the interview stuck out the most to me. I find it sad that it got to that point for him.

Yautja_Warrior

Big shame if it was studio interference, which seems a possibility, because Shane Black is normally a very good director and doesn't do messy movies like this.

You would think they would have learned after Alien 3.......

azamultic

Quote from: Huggs on Sep 11, 2018, 05:22:33 PM
"Because I think there's a case to be made that people who have what is viewed as a disability are actually the most valuable members of our society."

That was poorly worded Shane. Coming from a man who supposedly suffers from a disability, it could be viewed as egotistical and self serving. I'd like to think that no person is more or less valuable than the next. Although those who serve in defense of our nation, and our emergency personnel and police officers who put their lives on the line to protect and save ours every single day might be in the running for that. As we saw 17 years ago today.

maybe it is poorly worded, but I think Shane meant no harm with this statement. For me personally it felt like comparison between "All Star Team" (Predator 1) in basketball, and their replacement on the chair (the Predator), who could be more valueble for the Game at some moments )))

ttttt

Black is tired of the fans and the re-recordings not of the Fox.

Shane Black is tired by the fans who criticized him every day for a movie with black style comedy. With predators with pants. For not being faithful.

For the comments on your twitter every day.

Because the shooting was hard and the post.produccion was more complicated by the fx and because that caused rerecording that he asked Fox.

He had total freedom.In other movies like Logan Kingsman, Deadpools ... Fox gave it. Only he did not do it so well. To say it's because of Fox does not make sense when he says it was because of the re-recordings.

neoryu33

Quote from: ttttt on Sep 12, 2018, 02:34:46 AM
Black is tired of the fans and the re-recordings not of the Fox.

Shane Black is tired by the fans who criticized him every day for a movie with black style comedy. With predators with pants. For not being faithful.

For the comments on your twitter every day.

I believe that this (what you have stated) is obviously true.

Shane Black probably came into this thing wide-eyed and without any preparation whatsoever for just how unforgiving, belligerent, and downright spoiled some of us "fanatics" can be. Fandoms can be quite toxic and resistant to changes, whether said changes are for the better or worse. 

As it stands, it doesn't surprise me that he can't wait to be completely done with this.

demonbane

The problem is that new idea was executed badly. While it's true that you have to keep faith in your own vision, that doesn't mean you can always backstab fans that supported the series. Look at Last Jedi.

SiL

Quote from: neoryu33 on Sep 12, 2018, 07:53:04 AM
Shane Black probably came into this thing wide-eyed and without any preparation whatsoever for just how unforgiving, belligerent, and downright spoiled some of us "fanatics" can be. Fandoms can be quite toxic and resistant to changes, whether said changes are for the better or worse. 
I'm sure he got plenty of that after Iron Man 3.

roc84

Quote from: ttttt on Sep 12, 2018, 02:34:46 AM

He had total freedom.In other movies like Logan Kingsman, Deadpools ... Fox gave it. Only he did not do it so well. To say it's because of Fox does not make sense when he says it was because of the re-recordings.

From a recent interview with the Independent:

"Nowadays, given the cost and the necessity of meeting a certain quota in terms of recouping your investment, the playground factor for directors has diminished, that's for certain," Black admits. "It's collaboration at best and scrutiny at worst given to the films that are not allowed to fail. There's a dearth of risk-taking in a lot of films. Ultimately, it's up to me to argue whether a risk is worth taking. But it's certainly going to be easier if it's not got a high budget."

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/features/shane-black-interview-predator-2018-lethal-weapon-kiss-bang-director-a8531186.html

SyntaX

I can garantuee you guys that not only the 3rd act got changed.

Jesus.. this movie went through some troublesome shooting... poor Shane.

Biggles

I've been muttering for years that a Predator movie set in Afghanistan in either 1979 or 2001-10 would be amazing. So many possibilities.

Quote from: The Old One on Sep 11, 2018, 09:38:22 PM
It's actually something that's always stuck with me about Predator, most monsters appear in the cold, at night, in deep space, old structures, on dead worlds.

The Predator hunts in an uncomfortably hot,
bright environment.
The idea of the Predator running across the rooftops and skyscrapers on a hot summer's day, in fact it's stuck with me more than him in the jungle with a isolated group.

Take him to the desert next is my vote.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed