Didn't care for it (2/5)
39 (15.5%)
It sucked (1/5)
49 (19.5%)
Hated it! (0/5)
30 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 251

Author
The Predator Fan Reviews (Read 96,936 times)

SentryGun

SentryGun

So I saw The Predator last night. There are two ways I can review this movie.

The first is as a general moviegoer. In which case I found the film to be fun, quite often silly, with enough action, gore and genuinely funny humour to keep you mildly entertained.

The second way is as a devoted fan of all things Predator ( and Alien ). Which leads me to say that I thought the movie was a disappointing, at times incoherent mess with lots of small elements that annoyed me - the poor CGI, Traeger's death (WTF!!), the Marvel-esque ending, characters just disappearing out of the story with no explanation as to where they went etc. The whole story seemed like a mash of different ideas that they tried ( and failed ) to cram into one story.

5/10

oldnorse

oldnorse

Alright - finally found time to watch it. And... meh.

The movie is pretty shitty imo - and through no fault of the actors.

It's just that the story and plot is so poorly executed that it simply doesn't work. It's not a comedy, it's not a horror movie, but it's trying to be an entertaining action movie. I think? Trouble is it doesn't quite work, in particular during the third act. It's messy and stupid, and at times, the music alone makes me feel like I'm watching E.T. which is not what I want from a Predator movie. And of course the ending is pure puke - felt like I was watching a Disney movie.

BUT I liked the Loonies, I wish we had gotten more scenes with each of them so that we might have gotten to know them better. In the end, their individual deaths left me cold as the movie failed to make me really care about them as individuals. I think what we ended up with was a waste of a very talented cast. 

I laughed several times though and was generally mostly entertained. Just not as good as I had hoped for.

2.5-3/5 stars.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Hudson on Sep 19, 2018, 11:40:22 PM
Quote from: Nathsp on Sep 19, 2018, 10:40:41 PM
Quote from: Ingwar on Sep 19, 2018, 10:32:53 PM
According to the poll 18 people gave it the highest score (5/5). Is this actually possible? Please, enlighten me.
Theres 2 types of fandom, the ones that have criterium and the ones that dont, it has a predator, 5 of 5! By any way this is a 5/5, just for the reshoots, incoherency and bad cgi.. You can like it, i respect it, but 5/5? No way

This is how I would describe the majority reaction to Alien Covenant on these same boards to be honest. I'm kind of surprised that I'm not hearing more love for The Predator...simply because it exists. Maybe there's still hope after all.

+ 100000

The Ultimate Predator

Quote from: SiL on Sep 16, 2018, 11:25:22 AM
I put it at the bottom of the pile.

Which is saying something, because I can rant for hours about how insulting Predators is to its audience. But at least it takes itself seriously.

My thoughts exactly - although I'm not quite so critical of Predators. But The Predator was awful. Struggled to sit through it all, it progressively just got worse and worse. Didn't care for the characters, the comedy doesn't work, the predator felt like a caricature, it wasn't remotely scary etc, etc. And then capped off with one hell of an embarrassing ending. Don't waste your money on this.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Sep 20, 2018, 12:44:47 PM
According to the poll 18 people gave it the highest score (5/5). Is this actually possible? Please, enlighten me.
Theres 2 types of fandom, the ones that have criterium and the ones that dont, it has a predator, 5 of 5! By any way this is a 5/5, just for the reshoots, incoherency and bad cgi.. You can like it, i respect it, but 5/5? No way

This is how I would describe the majority reaction to Alien Covenant on these same boards to be honest. I'm kind of surprised that I'm not hearing more love for The Predator...simply because it exists. Maybe there's still hope after all.

+ 100000

Really? Those are horrible posts by people who think their opinion on these movies are more valid than those of other fans. Not mention its revisionist bullshit, AC was massacred just as badly here as the predator has been. Its just their way of crapping on fans who have different tastes and opinions. As bad as this film is, it has nothing on the childish and often insulting garbage being posted in the predator forum.

skull-splitter

skull-splitter

Don't get me started on those "true fans" claims, only to get a really narrow narrative of what a true fan entails.

Personally, I'm quite realistic in my fandom. I might not agree with every single idea on the screen or not even most of them, and still have a good time.

I overal think Predators worked better in terms of ideas for instance, but it fails in execution and portrayal. It lacks decent pacing too. While The Predator on the other hand has decent pacing but choppy editing, besides me agreeing with virtually nothing I saw on screen.

Both films entertain me, both films I would score around 6 to 6.5 on 10.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: skull-splitter on Sep 20, 2018, 08:44:27 PMDon't get me started on those "true fans" claims, only to get a really narrow narrative of what a true fan entails.

Lol, yeah, gotta love those guys.

Marc505

Marc505

And after all this, I just remembered the Upgrade spitting. Oh my.

skull-splitter

skull-splitter

Quote from: Marc505 on Sep 20, 2018, 09:19:18 PM
I wonder how much of these ideas where met with "that sounds so cool"...

Xan21

Xan21

Quote from: Marc505 on Sep 20, 2018, 09:19:18 PM

He couldn't help it, he travelled back to '87 and got Blaine's spinal fluid. 🙄😏

Jigsaw85

Jigsaw85

The more you think about the plot the more you realize how much it just doesn't make sense.

Fugitive wanted to give us a weapon but attacks us instead of trying to negotiate

Why does traeger want Casey dead? He wanted her help but he later wants her dead because sher ran off with some spinal fluid? She only left the base because she wanted to catch fugitive.

What happened to the device? McKenna gave it back to fugitive then upgrade pulls him through the window and traeger is still looking for it? Shouldn't have been on his body?

What was up with that dog sub-plot?  Not the alien dog, the actual dog that the kid befriends? I don't understand what the point of that was.

Fugitive has wolf- levels of script immunity. Because those guards were the dumbest guards in cinema history. One runs at him while holding a machine gun instead of shooting him from a distance. These guys are as useless as the avpr aliens. Seems the only way to make a predator look badass is to make his enemies retarded.

Huggs

Huggs

It's the Rorschach test of the predator franchise.

Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid

+ 100000

BigDaddyJohn, I've always found your input on the Predator universe interesting. I'm curious, have you avoided offering your official fan review or did I miss it?

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

+ 100000

Get out of here with those kinds of comments. People are entitled to enjoy what they want and don't you act all high and mighty about it.

Huntsman

Huntsman

It's nearly a week since I saw TP. I feel about the same. A respectable 7/10.

Fugitive lands amongst a violent situation. He may seek to help humanity, but if there are armed humans they are deemed fair game. I'm okay with the rules of the hunt applying there. And Fugitive wakes up as a drugged and restrained prisoner. He's doing what it takes to break free.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed