Didn't care for it (2/5)
39 (15.5%)
It sucked (1/5)
49 (19.5%)
Hated it! (0/5)
30 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 251

Author
The Predator Fan Reviews (Read 96,696 times)

D88M

D88M

Quote from: The Old One on Sep 18, 2018, 03:01:04 AM
8 years is nothing compared to the 20 between Predator 2 and Predators. You're being hyperbolic.

Yeah, but Predators was bad too, the franchise is so simple and yet they cant even bother to make an effort to make a at least decent movie. What i mean is that there is no point on waiting so long to release movies of this quality.

The Predator looked like a guy in a suit by the way, but that is just one item in the long list of flaws this movie has.

It also had a lot of visual simmilarities, specially regarding the Predators tech, to Requiem.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Quote from: The Old One on Sep 18, 2018, 02:30:02 PM
Gravity

But Alien or Predator never have.

Serenity did as well.

I think the first Alien film didn't have much sound if any for the nostromo, might be wrong of course. Can't recall about the shuttle thrusters though.

The Old One

The Old One

The explosion of the Nostromo and thrusters of the Narcissus definitely did.

No atmosphere in space?
"There is now." -R.S

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

There was sound in all the space scenes in the first film, but most notable are the separation sequence for the Nostromo (the mechanism and particularly the ship's engines firing all make noise), the destruction of the Nostromo and Ripley blasting the Alien in the Narcissus' engines. Still, the actual physics of space flight in the film were reasonably accurate (or at least not overtly inaccurate).

In Aliens the Queen can be heard screaming after being ejected from the Sulaco.

Resurrection also has typically lousy space physics. Aside from the recurring issue of sound, the Betty is seen zipping about like a conventional airplane à la Star Wars before it docks with the Auriga.

But again, this is basically par for the course with space in film. The Predator is by no means the first movie to inaccurately apply conventional flight physics to space, even within this franchise. Hell, if we're being picky, the craft the Jungle Hunter arrived in at the very start of the original movie made a noise as it zipped past the camera.

It's just one of those things. It's so ingrained now it doesn't even bother me to be honest (although I do love to see films try and do it more accurately).

Russ840

Russ840

There is the opening scene in the Star Trek reboot where the ships are doing battle with no noise but the orchestral music. I liked that scene.

Nathsp

Nathsp

The sound in space is the minor problem of the film...

Hudson

Hudson

Well, I saw it on Saturday and have digested it a bit, and by digesting I mean I've barely thought about it because it's not a movie that sticks with you as a self-contained entity. I'm disappointed that it seems to be going the route of Alien Covenant, which is to open threads at the end instead of bringing any closure. Predator 2 managed to do this without feeling like it necessitated a direct continuation. If a sequel to this movie doesn't arrive, The Predator isn't going to exist in any sense of relevance on its own terms. It will just end up feeling incomplete. I'm afraid that this is the path it's probably heading for.

Overall, I think I would give it a 3/5 (although I would classify that as 'good' and 4/5 as 'great', but that's neither here nor there). I think for the most part, it met my expectations. When stood up against "Predators" this might as well be a masterpiece because that movie's story was crafted with such a level of ineptitude that I don't find the experience of watching it to be pleasurable at all. In that movie, the characters are not only all unlikable, but they all dislike each other (and the casting was terrible). At least here there's some chemistry and a sense of fun and play, while "Predators" took itself so seriously that it in turn became laughable, especially the ridiculous opening scene where people are just falling out of the sky into a jungle. There weren't any moments in this movie, for the most part, where I thought "WOW, that was stupid." So, that's good.

Things I liked:
-It's an entertaining movie, and mostly fun.
-It moves quickly for its length.
-It has an odd, but laugh-worthy sense of humor.
-The child actor was fine.
-It didn't take itself too seriously, because following Predator and Predator 2, I wouldn't expect a progression into pretentious territory (Prometheus, Covenant).
-It seemed to usher in new conventions to the series, which I thought was interesting (in particular, subtitled Predator dialogue).
-Overall, I enjoyed the characters.
-It actually felt, mostly, like 'a Predator movie' unlike the previous entry.

Things I didn't like:
-The plot is convoluted, and there's no call for that when we're really talking about a monster movie franchise. It isn't even a clever plot, but it seemed like Shane Black was trying to 'out-clever' the earlier movies...which doesn't make sense. Look at the plot of Alien and Predator and reflect on how good those movies are. The surface level conflicts are pretty damn simple (think, Mad Max Fury Road). Now look at this film along with Prometheus or Covenant. They over complicate things for no reason but to seem smarter and more involved somehow, but I honestly couldn't tell you the plot of this movie by using an elevator pitch. It takes detailed description to parse out.
-It's tie-in to the Predator franchise is deeply unsatisfying, nearly on an upsetting level. I'm not sure, but are we supposed to be proud of the filmmakers for including Jake Busey as Peter Keyes' son? I thought he would return later in the movie, or make some, ANY mention of who he was beyond sharing the same last name. As it stands, he pops up for what, about five minutes? Not to mention, there are two screenshots taken from Predator and Predator 2 which we glimpse for a second, and that's it. I don't understand the aversion which Fox has to creating some kind of actual continuity with this series. There's no reason to ignore the original film, because if we know anything is certain by this point, it's that they won't be able to top it. I'm not sure they are even interested in trying to do so, to be honest.
-Olivia Munn's dialogue was awful. I appreciated the movie's sense of humor, but come on. EVERYONE in the movie has the same level of whit and snark, including someone who in real life would be a prestigious, if not boring, scientist. I get that her character can also  be fun and entertaining (and should be), but I guess I felt Shane Black's hand as the writer in the voice of every character in the film, in exactly the same way including the little boy who also used expletives.
-The ending is awful. I hated it and couldn't believe the film was over at the moment the credits rolled. It really shows that they did re-shoots for the third act, because everything falls apart. Beyond the final scene itself coming off as rushed, there are moments where significant character deaths are passed over so quickly, or even barely noticeable at all.
-I'm the last person who would even try to locate something like this, but I felt the movie exhibited some ableist sensibilities regarding autism and Tourette's. Particularly, the moment when Thomas Jane says something about 'eating pussy' and there's an overly long exchange where he tries to convince Olivia Munn otherwise was in bad taste, mean spirited, and not funny. Munn's character is meant to be a scholar, so it made no sense that someone didn't just say "he has Tourette's syndrome, don't worry about it" and they would move on. Instead, the moment essentially dwelled on making fun of him for a disability. I thought there'd be an eventual moment where this was all reconciled, but nope. It's just there for jokes because people with Tourette's syndrome are so funny when they say naughty words in public!  :D
-This is a nitpick, but as a veteran, I can confirm that the portrayal of the military is pretty terrible. Predator isn't very accurate per say, but I question whether there was even a military adviser on set for The Predator. It's not something that's hard to get right. I really didn't believe for one second that the main character was a captain in the Army. When they first stated his rank, I was pretty shocked. Commissioned officers at his age are people who've graduated with a bachelor's degree from a university, not clumsily spoken farmboys. I know he's meant to be a special forces sniper, but go and look at Lone Survivor for an appropriate portrayal of officers vs. enlisted in that context. I mean...Arnold's character is a major in Predator, and I believe that he is a major. There was also a hilarious moment where Olivia Munn (or someone) directs a comment at everyone to the tune of "You're all soldiers!" and the immediate cut goes to a close up of Keegan Michael Key's character, who was obviously in the Marines. He nods at the comment. You don't call marines soldiers, because we aren't soldiers. That's the Army. It's a different word with a different denotation.

It seems like my dislikes are stacking up, which is interesting because I did enjoy the movie overall, but I predict that my opinion of it may sour over time, the opposite of a movie like Alien Resurrection which I've come to enjoy more and more. I think one thing is for certain though: John Davis is a bad producer for the Predator franchise. His track record is one of failure, time and time again with this series. Let's not forget that Predator and Predator 2 are really Joel Silver movies, and since then with Davis primarily at the helm, it's all been disappointment for the most part. AvP, AvPR, Predators, and now this. It's not a good look for him, but I doubt anything will change.

Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones

John Davis is a bad producer in general. If you look at his IMDb page it's almost all flops and failures. In Hollywood you truly do fail upwards.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Hudson on Sep 19, 2018, 03:42:22 PMI'm disappointed that it seems to be going the route of Alien Covenant, which is to open threads at the end instead of bringing any closure. Predator 2 managed to do this without feeling like it necessitated a direct continuation.

The thing is, the only obvious sequel baiting is in the final scene.

Lop that out, and not only do you remove by far the worst thing about the movie, you also eradicate the issue you (quite rightly) bring up here.

Hudson

Hudson

QuoteThe thing is, the only obvious sequel baiting is in the final scene.

Yeah, I guess that is my real problem with it. When the movie ended, I kind of thought
Spoiler
"Whoa, they were really serious about all that climate change crap and Predators invading? Um, okay then."
[close]
Until the very ending I didn't expect any of that to follow through in terms of suddenly becoming a staple of the franchise.

Spoiler
It does also seem odd that the reveal of the original Predator's intention to 'save humanity' (or whatever the hell was going on?) was a true reversal in that I don't think it was signaled at all. I mean, he slices and dices his way through a significant amount of human people in that laboratory...who he's supposedly trying to save from extinction? Nope. That was a cheap, unearned plot twist. And I can't state how stupid I think it is for Predators to be allied with humans in any way. It was dumb in AvP, and ::hot take:: I still actually think it's kind of dumb in the original comic. Predators are the villains. They're monsters, not our damn friends. They're supposed to be scary and shit.
[close]

EDIT: I guess I can hop on this wagon and post my rankings too:

Predator
Predator 2
The Predator
AvP
Predators
AvP R

Ingwar

Ingwar

According to the poll 18 people gave it the highest score (5/5). Is this actually possible? Please, enlighten me.

Nathsp

Nathsp

Quote from: Ingwar on Sep 19, 2018, 10:32:53 PM
According to the poll 18 people gave it the highest score (5/5). Is this actually possible? Please, enlighten me.
Theres 2 types of fandom, the ones that have criterium and the ones that dont, it has a predator, 5 of 5! By any way this is a 5/5, just for the reshoots, incoherency and bad cgi.. You can like it, i respect it, but 5/5? No way

Hudson

Hudson

Quote from: Nathsp on Sep 19, 2018, 10:40:41 PM
Quote from: Ingwar on Sep 19, 2018, 10:32:53 PM
Theres 2 types of fandom, the ones that have criterium and the ones that dont, it has a predator, 5 of 5! By any way this is a 5/5, just for the reshoots, incoherency and bad cgi.. You can like it, i respect it, but 5/5? No way

This is how I would describe the majority reaction to Alien Covenant on these same boards to be honest. I'm kind of surprised that I'm not hearing more love for The Predator...simply because it exists. Maybe there's still hope after all.

echobbase79

echobbase79

I'd never thought I'd see the day when I actually didn't care for a Predator movie, but that day has come after watching the extremely disappointing The Predator. What happened? The script I read a year ago was so much fun and exciting, but all of that got lost apparently in the editing room. I was yawning during the first thirty minutes. The escape scene with 'Fugitive' did nothing for me. And a Predator using a gun to kill a human just didn't look right onscreen. I sat in the theater waiting for the movie to find a pulse which it finally did when 'the Uprade' showed up. At least they got that part of the movie right.

The characters were fine, but I think a lot of the relationships were edited down for the final release. I think I remember Quinn and Nebraska having a deeper relationship in the script, but in the final film it didn't feel like it.

I honestly didn't mind the new epilogue all that much. It fit well with the new ending that was shot, which I did like. That being said I think the original ending from the script was probably the way to go. I hope that's put on the upcoming bluray release.

IMO I think it's time to stop with these movies. This made Predators look like a classic by comparison and I'm not a fan of that film at all.

2/5

Predator
Predator 2

AvP: Requiem
AvP
Predators
The Predator

ChanceVance

ChanceVance

Quote from: Hudson on Sep 19, 2018, 07:16:44 PM
QuoteIt does also seem odd that the reveal of the original Predator's intention to 'save humanity' (or whatever the hell was going on?) was a true reversal in that I don't think it was signaled at all. I mean, he slices and dices his way through a significant amount of human people in that laboratory...who he's supposedly trying to save from extinction?

I mean to be fair he's being fired upon and escaping from being restrained. Besides it could be as much about just giving the middle finger to the Upgraded Predators than it is about saving the human race.   

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed