Didn't care for it (2/5)
39 (15.5%)
It sucked (1/5)
49 (19.5%)
Hated it! (0/5)
30 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 251

Author
The Predator Fan Reviews (Read 91,292 times)

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 17, 2018, 01:39:40 AM

Spoiler
The "global warming is going to kill us, so Predators are going buck-wild while they can" was a pretty dumb idea, and even dumber was the notion that the Predators might move in on Earth.
[close]

Spoiler
The idea that Predator's might "move in" was a dumb notion considering how advance they are but the idea that we are a dying race "so hunt em while you can" is a really great theme. What if we're on an intergalactic "endangered species" list. Hell maybe the Predators themselves have heavily regulated the hunting of mankind. Or even more so, perhaps the predator elders have given up on man or in some way came to the conclusion that we should be snuffed out. Where as other Predators think we're too valuable a game to just let rot away. So they are interfering by giving us things we have no business having. There's so many way to play off of the concept... although we're seriously getting into Prometheus territory here.
[close]

The movie's main problem is the editing and not the ideas and themes; and here's hoping to getting a better version one day.

Huntsman

Huntsman

I actually think the global warming idea is good in theory. Predators are attracted to hot climates...it matches up. I'm just going to expect that in the world of The Predator, warming is MUCH more advanced than what it is today. Or it's just one character's theory for increased Predator appearances.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: whiterabbit on Sep 18, 2018, 08:50:02 AMThe movie's main problem is the editing and not the ideas and themes; and here's hoping to getting a better version one day.

^ This.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

I would argue some of the ideas are a problem, the dna thing and Rory able to use predator tech, plus the predator tech itself is just borderline magic.

Also the beginning part of the movie made me face palm a little. There is not supposed to be sound in space, I think some of the previous movies did that but back then I doubt anyone knew that fact as much as they should today.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: The Cruentus on Sep 18, 2018, 09:53:53 AM
I would argue some of the ideas are a problem, the dna thing and Rory able to use predator tech, plus the predator tech itself is just borderline magic.

I'm not a huge fan of Rory's autism being used like that, but the idea of mankind deciphering Predator tech is one I think should be played with. I just think it should involve a deeper backstory of research.

QuoteAlso the beginning part of the movie made me face palm a little. There is not supposed to be sound in space, I think some of the previous movies did that but back then I doubt anyone knew that fact as much as they should today.

That's a none issue for me. Unless film's are going for that accurate representation of sound in space, it'll always be a thing. I just wish that opening sequence was longer.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

I agree, Mankind trying to decipher the predator tech could make for interesting story and it should take years and years, (a rogue predator perhaps to help but that could go so wrong without proper reasoning) and maybe that could justify an invasion or at least an attack, the predators feel like mankind is now too much of a threat with that stolen tech and wants to kill them before they get the chance to become too dangerous. Best I can come up with short notice but I could see there is plenty of stories to tell.

Nathsp

Nathsp

A specie that can trvel in space in seconds, that open worm holes,  with such advanced tech, the idea of traveling in universe searching for dna its just dumb and unnecesary.
They can travel in seconds, there will be plenty of planets with better temperature..
It doesnt have any sense.
A ten feet thing kidnapping a child with mental problems to pass those mental problems to its race..0

demonbane

demonbane

The problem with dna stuff is that the movie itself implied that it was whole Predator species that went into DNA upgrade.
It completely failed to show that it was one clan that was really into that idea. It's possible that the sequel may be able to make this movie better, but I doubt it. DNA stuff could've worked if it were on one or few clans.
Yes. Editing in this movie is OBJECTIVELY bad. Anyone who says otherwise is dishonest.

ChanceVance

ChanceVance

Quote from: The Cruentus on Sep 18, 2018, 09:53:53 AM
Also the beginning part of the movie made me face palm a little. There is not supposed to be sound in space, I think some of the previous movies did that but back then I doubt anyone knew that fact as much as they should today.

I mean I hear this complaint a lot but unless you're a person in the space industry, should it really be such a bother. I'll take the roar of space engines over scientific accuracy anyday. 

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

It's certainly by no mean the first movie to get space physics totally wrong.

In fact, I can't think of many that even attempt to do it accurately.

The Old One

The Old One

Gravity

But Alien or Predator never have.

The_Foxcatcher

The_Foxcatcher

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 11, 2018, 07:41:05 AM
So, we're a couple of days away from general release! Please share your own reviews here in this thread.

Ok, saw it today.....

And I do admit that the comedy was bad as hell and made the movie really disjointed. The acting was not good and there was another disjoint from director for not seamlessly  retrieving the right emotions from the actors.

The practical effects and CGI were good and competent. The action was too good; not great like the original Predator, Predator 2 and AVP1. Ofcourse, the movie was miles better than AVP2.

My verdict is Shane Black should stick to serious action and improve in creating tension which this film was lacking. He should surely stay away from creating comedy which he seemingly sucks at.

The line 'get the fukc out from here is my middle name' made me cringe!

Anyway, the action scenes at the end were too good. When I watched, I wished if Alien Covenant had the same caliber with well endowed justice to the screen time of Alien.

Unlike Alien Covenant, this movie didn't wrap it as a fast-packed-goodbye-to-audience.

I loved the Gore; it was too good!

Anyway a 6/10 for me. Would like to watch again for sure for its gore and action scenes but at the same time am afraid to face the cringe worthy comedy and disjointed direction on acting department.

ChanceVance

ChanceVance

No doubt the movie is an absolute mess at times in regards to editing and things that go nowhere like that random shot of the dog running or Yvonne's character disappearing from the film. 

I got to say though I really enjoyed it on the first go around. It doesn't even try and do the slow burn approach, the Predator is on-screen and killing in minutes. Cast worked out better than I expected, the jokes weren't landing to me but Holbrook was a likeable lead and Munn was surprisingly okay. I thought her casting would be Denise Richards in James Bond bad but she was just fine. My apologies to her for thinking she could reach those levels of bad. 

The Upgrade is supposed to be the most fearsome Predator put to screen but everything about him just felt bland. He's big and bad, the end. Jungle and City hunter had distinct traits, even in Predators you at least had interesting designs.

Lefty

Lefty

Saw the film in the states over the weekend. I'd pretty much agree with the majority of reviews and opinions already shared: some fun stuff, some legitimately good moments, but overall a frustrating and sloppy experience.

I was hoping I'd enjoy the Upgrade, but he was my least favorite part (along with the dogs). I loved the loonies cast overall and Fugitive looked fantastic. Really wish they had simplified and streamlined the ideas for this film, and come up with a simpler approach focusing on Fugitive and his motivations / character. It felt like 3 or 4 story ideas all fighting for screen time.

I was fine with the idea of Upgrade going into it but I really wasn't impressed with his portrayal in the movie at all. And the last act into the ending...well it's already been said here enough.

I'll echo the interest in seeing a directors cut and the original plan for the film one day. But, I don't see much hope of that happening - especially if it doesn't perform well financially. Just a really frustrating result for something that had a lot of potential.

Kudzu

Kudzu

Quote from: The Cruentus on Sep 18, 2018, 09:53:53 AM.

We did. There was 2001: A Space Odyssey, after all. And the moon landings. By the late 80s we all knew there was no sound in space, but we also knew that no sound made for pretty boring space battles.

I actually didn't like seeing a laser fight with spaceships in a Predator movie. Best leave that stuff to Star Wars and other pulpy sci-fi. One of the things I always liked about Predator was that the sci-fi stuff was just dressing. You got glimpses of stuff, like the ship dispatching what can be assumed to be a smaller pod for Jungle Hunter in the beginning, but it wasn't dwelled on. I liked how Predator 2 embellished things but still kept tech stuff weird and mysterious. Predators did a fairly good job, too. But AvP and The Predator just couldn't resist and shove your face in it, ruining the magic for me by making it mundane.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed