Didn't care for it (2/5)
39 (15.5%)
It sucked (1/5)
49 (19.5%)
Hated it! (0/5)
30 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 251

Author
The Predator Fan Reviews (Read 96,522 times)

ace3g

ace3g

Still feel like it was a wasted opportunity when you cast a "creature actor" who does parkour and not really showcase it in the film.  It would have made the predator appear more agile/less wooden than recent appearances.  After Kevin Peter Hall (P1, P2) - Wolf is still the best build/movement creature performance.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

I just saw this movie.

It's... okay? The editing is all over the place but I still had no problem following what was going on, it was just really clear that a ton of scenes were truncated, I found it most noticeable at the very beginning of the movie to be honest. Funnily enough, 'The Predator' has the same run-time as the other 3 movies in the series, but it definitely felt "rushed" compared to the others. I chalk that up to the editing issues.
I suspect there's a real good movie buried in there somewhere, and maybe we'll get something neat out of a "re-cut edition" on home release? I'm getting 'Alien 3' vibes in the sense that too many fingers in the pie really muddled everything up.

I liked the action, and the characters were distinct and memorable. A couple jokes felt forced, and I never really found myself laughing at "unintentionally funny" goofy shit.

Spoiler-time.

Spoiler
I think the stuff that bothered me the most were how they tried to f**k with the Predator "lore", and I'm really trying to keep my fanboy bias in check with this. 'Predators' introduced new, bigger Predators that do (somewhat) different shit and even pick fights with "regular" Predators, but I was okay with it because the movie made it clear that the big guys were a different faction and didn't represent the entire species, and that "classic" Predators are still around and doing Predator things. Shane Black said in a few interviews that the "upgraded" Predators in his movie were also a faction and didn't represent the whole species, but it just didn't quite come across that was on-screen and I think that might be an editing issue, not necessarily Shane Black talking out of both sides of his mouth or something.

Theorizing that Predators rip spines not because they're taking trophies but because they're harvesting spinal fluid for DNA was a wacky "explanation" that I don't think anyone asked for. We're talking 'Prometheus'/'Alien Covenant' levels of unnecessary explanation here. I think it goes back to the movie not really conveying that these "upgrades" might be their own faction, because it kind of tries to overtly tie it back to the Predators' actions in the prior movies and it just doesn't feel right.

Part of me didn't like a Predator that had humanity's best interests at heart, but the more I think about it, the more of a novel idea it feels - I just wish it was executed better. Like, the Fugitive Predator who was trying to help humans absolutely killed the f**k out of a ton of humans. Yeah it was cool action, and yeah I can get why he'd be pissed when he's restrained by a bunch of people and he breaks free, but it still felt like it undermined the idea of a rogue Predator who thinks hunting humans is bad.
I think a more novel idea is to have a sort of "pacifist" Predator - clearly convey that he's a combat badass who could wreck people's shit whenever he wants, but that he actively chooses not to and have him not kill any humans. Then, finally have a payoff of all his combat prowess by having him go apeshit on the antagonist Predator and show that maybe "upgrades" aren't everything. Also, having a Predator actually survive the events of the movie would be a refreshing change of pace.

The "global warming is going to kill us, so Predators are going buck-wild while they can" was a pretty dumb idea, and even dumber was the notion that the Predators might move in on Earth.

Predators biting the shit out of people with their mandibles was pretty great.

The Preda-dogs were... okay? When I first noticed that they had dreadlocks, part of me was afraid that they were actually radically genetically-altered Predators, but it didn't seem that way. I'm pretty okay with the notion that on Predator world perhaps other indigenous species have evolved thick dreadlocks, that's kind of a neat idea.

I got a chuckle at some of the callbacks. "Get to the choppers", "you are one beautiful motherf**ker". There were even some AvP shout-outs - Lex's Alien-tail spear is in the glass case in the Stargazer lab, and the shurikens are straight out of the AvP movies. I wish we'd gotten to see more random Predator gear. The use of the decades-old fan-made Predator "font" was a nice touch, too.
[close]

The more I write this, the more I think my thoughts and opinions are settling down. On the whole I think it was worth a watch, but it's not as good as 'Predators' (which I really liked) and definitely not as good as the first two. It's not as schlocky-bad as 'AvP: Requiem', but it's also not as silly-fun, either. On the whole some of my initial complaints as I walked out of the theatre aren't bothering me as much anymore, but there's still some real goofy shit that especially makes the fanboy in me say "those are dumb and bad ideas."

The Old One

The Old One

Totally understand where you're coming from.

Huntsman

Huntsman

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 17, 2018, 01:39:40 AM
The more I write this, the more I think my thoughts and opinions are settling down. On the whole I think it was worth a watch, but it's not as good as 'Predators' (which I really liked) and definitely not as good as the first two. It's not as schlocky-bad as 'AvP: Requiem', but it's also not as silly-fun, either. On the whole some of my initial complaints as I walked out of the theatre aren't bothering me as much anymore, but there's still some real goofy shit that especially makes the fanboy in me say "those are dumb and bad ideas."
A balanced impression. That's basically how I feel about the movie. The 1/10 reviews are way overboard. Some of the stuff just doesn't bother me as much as it does others, even though I do have complaints about other things.

XENOMORPHOSIS

XENOMORPHOSIS

I just saw it, while it had some interesting elements, its at the same standard as Alien Resurrection.

Bloodee Jacob

Bloodee Jacob

Quote from: AlienFanIL18 on Sep 16, 2018, 07:48:48 AM
@Bloodee Jacob

"I couldn't get immersed in it like I have been with EVERY OTHER Predator or even AVP film to some extent."

I'm not sure I've ever been immersed in a film.  What do you mean by that?  What does immersion mean to you?

Like I get really focused and so into the movie or situation that I stop thinking about everything else because I'm so focused on what's happening and what will happen next. This can happen with any movie or show. I'm saying that the new film couldn't pull me in like that.

Wysps

Wysps

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 17, 2018, 01:39:40 AM
I just saw this movie.

It's... okay? The editing is all over the place but I still had no problem following what was going on, it was just really clear that a ton of scenes were truncated, I found it most noticeable at the very beginning of the movie to be honest. Funnily enough, 'The Predator' has the same run-time as the other 3 movies in the series, but it definitely felt "rushed" compared to the others. I chalk that up to the editing issues.
I suspect there's a real good movie buried in there somewhere, and maybe we'll get something neat out of a "re-cut edition" on home release? I'm getting 'Alien 3' vibes in the sense that too many fingers in the pie really muddled everything up.

I liked the action, and the characters were distinct and memorable. A couple jokes felt forced, and I never really found myself laughing at "unintentionally funny" goofy shit.

Spoiler-time.

Spoiler
I think the stuff that bothered me the most were how they tried to f**k with the Predator "lore", and I'm really trying to keep my fanboy bias in check with this. 'Predators' introduced new, bigger Predators that do (somewhat) different shit and even pick fights with "regular" Predators, but I was okay with it because the movie made it clear that the big guys were a different faction and didn't represent the entire species, and that "classic" Predators are still around and doing Predator things. Shane Black said in a few interviews that the "upgraded" Predators in his movie were also a faction and didn't represent the whole species, but it just didn't quite come across that was on-screen and I think that might be an editing issue, not necessarily Shane Black talking out of both sides of his mouth or something.

Theorizing that Predators rip spines not because they're taking trophies but because they're harvesting spinal fluid for DNA was a wacky "explanation" that I don't think anyone asked for. We're talking 'Prometheus'/'Alien Covenant' levels of unnecessary explanation here. I think it goes back to the movie not really conveying that these "upgrades" might be their own faction, because it kind of tries to overtly tie it back to the Predators' actions in the prior movies and it just doesn't feel right.

Part of me didn't like a Predator that had humanity's best interests at heart, but the more I think about it, the more of a novel idea it feels - I just wish it was executed better. Like, the Fugitive Predator who was trying to help humans absolutely killed the f**k out of a ton of humans. Yeah it was cool action, and yeah I can get why he'd be pissed when he's restrained by a bunch of people and he breaks free, but it still felt like it undermined the idea of a rogue Predator who thinks hunting humans is bad.
I think a more novel idea is to have a sort of "pacifist" Predator - clearly convey that he's a combat badass who could wreck people's shit whenever he wants, but that he actively chooses not to and have him not kill any humans. Then, finally have a payoff of all his combat prowess by having him go apeshit on the antagonist Predator and show that maybe "upgrades" aren't everything. Also, having a Predator actually survive the events of the movie would be a refreshing change of pace.

The "global warming is going to kill us, so Predators are going buck-wild while they can" was a pretty dumb idea, and even dumber was the notion that the Predators might move in on Earth.

Predators biting the shit out of people with their mandibles was pretty great.

The Preda-dogs were... okay? When I first noticed that they had dreadlocks, part of me was afraid that they were actually radically genetically-altered Predators, but it didn't seem that way. I'm pretty okay with the notion that on Predator world perhaps other indigenous species have evolved thick dreadlocks, that's kind of a neat idea.

I got a chuckle at some of the callbacks. "Get to the choppers", "you are one beautiful motherf**ker". There were even some AvP shout-outs - Lex's Alien-tail spear is in the glass case in the Stargazer lab, and the shurikens are straight out of the AvP movies. I wish we'd gotten to see more random Predator gear. The use of the decades-old fan-made Predator "font" was a nice touch, too.
[close]

Aside from editing issues, I'd probably also put some of the blame on the lengthy action scenes with few moments of respit in between.  Of course, we go into a Predator movie expecting lots of action right.  But there were not enough quiet moments to build tension and suspense.  Most of the non-action scenes were filled with humor.  I thought most of the fight scenes were great, but found myself getting a bit mentally fatigued from the pacing.

huntin8-t0n

huntin8-t0n

Quote from: XENOMORPHOSIS on Sep 17, 2018, 12:56:42 PM
I just saw it, while it had some interesting elements, its at the same standard as Alien Resurrection.

Wow. Haven't thought about this, could be called Predator: Resurrection too. Nice.

Embry Starred

Embry Starred

After taking a few days to digest The Predator. I came to the conclusion I loved it just as much as I hated it. It has awesome Shane Black writing and whit, but in terms of lore, serious moments, and editing/re-shoots in the 3rd act the movie. It is a stupid mess that does not take itself serious whatsoever (that's good and bad) and does not have a cohesive tale and retcons 30 years of established material in some cases. The loonies I went in expecting to dislike but they are honestly kept me in it and enjoying the whole film! The ending ending made me just groan and annoyed. Honestly if you took the predators out of this and replaced it with any other alien species/monsters you would have the exact same movie. As a fun hard R popcorn flick this is a 7.5 to 8 but as an actual PREDATOR film it gets moved to 6.5/10. 2010 predator's had its problems but at least it followed through 95% of its ideas of what it it added to the lore/ mythology and was legitimately more plausible then what was added here.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Just watched it today and I am little conflicted about it, on one hand there many elements about it I enjoyed and on the other... many I didn't.

First the bad.

I really don't like the dna plot thing, it makes no sense because genetics do not work like that and I know most of you do agree it was a terrible concept, one that was thankfully dropped from Predators.
The Predator technology seems to be borderline magic. The plasma weapons apparently don't need firing, they just do so automatically whenever their user is attacked. Of course this is possibly only just some of them, as previous Predators aim, track and kill using plasma weaponry without ever being attacked.
Don't like AVP being referenced, even if it is only an easter egg.

Spoiler
Rory accidentally kills someone and it is not brought up again in the movie, I understand some people on the spectrum may sometimes have stunted emotions or poor social skills, but they are not sociopaths.
[close]
Also while Rory wasn't used as bad as I thought he would (I thought he was going to be a typical godmode character and single-handedly save the day), he still does things he shouldn't have been able to and his ability to translate or at least understand the predator language is just silly. Even an autistic person needs to have a basic understanding of something before they can excel at it. I don't know much about translations but don't you need the proverbial rosetta stone?

The Predator hounds....oh man this is one of the face palm moments in the movie.
Spoiler
One gets shot in the head and suddenly because friendly and just like an ordinary dog, one of the loonies say it got "lobotomized", I don't know much about lobotomy but I doubt it would instantly cause such behavior not to mention it is still a living animal with a bullet wound to the head, yet other than behavior change, its not really affected by it
[close]

The Predator killer weapon would have suited the film had the first movie been a superhero genre with fantastical technology in the first place. Here it just looks like someone watched the latest avengers and the black panther, and just plain copied them.

There is a few continuity issues I noticed straight away too, the vambrace keeps changing from left arm to right arm in between some scenes. Fugitive isn't able to penetrate the Upgraded Predator's skin with his predator tech metal wristblades yet Baxley drew blood with his knives.

The movie is a far cry from the suspenseful first movie that had some genuine horror moments.

Now on for the good.

I got to say, Fugitive might just be my favorite Predator.

Maybe its just because I haven't long come from the theater and I am still riding on some of feelings from watching the movie, but I think Fugitive was done well and his design was terrific.
Now the nostalgic part of me wants to keep Jungle Hunter as my favorite because he is the first, his appearance is awesome and while he did use his Plasma Caster a lot, he killed one at a time in a hunter style fashion.

But Fugitive is almost on another level, whereas JH fought two teams of special forces and CH took on gangsters and the police, Fugitive took on a military force that was actually prepared for him and spent decades trying to find his kind. Also unlike the previous Predators which had the technological advantage right from the start. Fugitive starts his slaughter unarmed and not long out of sedation, and takes down the armed threats with just claws, mandibles and cunning.
Spoiler
He then retrieves his equipment but cheekily uses a human rifle to take down some more in such a casual manner. Between that and some of his other moments like using a severed arm to make a thump up gesture to deceive the aemt truck driver that everything is ok, makes him a bit of a character with a twisted and cheeky sense of humor. Where he does falter  however, is in his fight with the Upgrade, I get he was kind of stunned or concussed from being pulled through a wall but I would have thought he would have put up a better fight since his plasma caster could easily have fired more than one shot
[close]

Baxley, Thomas Jane's character is a laugh riot and I got to say other than Fugitive, he really was one of the better things in the movie. I would say all of the loonies are really, though Alfie's character is probably the weakest.

Final thoughts.
I think this film could have been so much better but that goes without saying. They should have dropped the upgrade thing and just have a berserker predator fill in that role instead. Also instead of having Rory translate the tech and access the mask to have him know where the ship was from that, it should have been automatically like when Fugitive is using his mask to view where his ship is, it is connected wirelessly to the other mask while Rory is looking at it, and he simply sees what the other Predator triggered. That would have been slightly more believable.

Another way would have been to reverse the roles of Fugitive and Upgrade (or a berserker). Fugitive being the one hunting the other predator for either maybe stealing technology to use against other Predators or perhaps some other reason but Fugitive crashes his ship first while trying to find him due to being ambushed and ends up captured (that way we still have his cool escape scene) and the plot can follow from that but with necessary adjustments.

Traeger is another issue too,
Spoiler
I get that they needed a human antagonist but he seems a little cartoony, whereas Peter Keyers believed in helping mankind by taking the Predator technology, and had a very serious and professional demeanor. Traegor acts too casual and humorous for a man that kills mercilessly and without hesitation or good enough cause.  He gives termination orders of Munn's character literally not long after being friendly to her and with no good reason except that she took a sample from a lab that he couldn't possibly know about due to the mayhem that occured. Though even if he did know, that seems like an overreaction to me because she was cooperative with them
[close]

D88M

D88M

Oh God.

From the director of Iron Man 3, a bad movie that has nothing to do with anything related to Iron Man, comes The Predator, a bad movie that has nothing to do with the Predator, what a surprise.

The movie has so, so many things wrong and bad that i could very easily write a huge wall of text.

But it simply does not deserve it, this was known since the script leaked.

Is a mediocre blockbuster not well made in any aspect with the worst editing i have seen since Justice League, is a mess.

This is Requiem level of bad only that is more professional in the technical aspects, it has very minimal decent stuff in it but it just goes nowhere.

Please, let the franchises die, the last movie we got was 8 years ago and it was bad, before that we got the terrible Requiem, and now 8 years later we get another awful movie, just let them rest in peace.

Waste of time

The Old One

The Old One

8 years is nothing compared to the 20 between Predator 2 and Predators. You're being hyperbolic.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: The Old One on Sep 18, 2018, 03:01:04 AM
8 years is nothing compared to the 20 between Predator 2 and Predators.

My God, was it really that long? Time does fly.

Marc505

Marc505

The Creuntus, excellent review. Great point as well about the Predator technology being borderline magical, totally agree and that was one of the most jump the shark elements of the whole thing for me.

In the Predator universe up until now the majority of the tech you could believe in (save perhaps for some of the 3D maps etc from AvP) but this just went a ridiculous route.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: The Cruentus on Sep 18, 2018, 12:19:18 AMJust watched it today and I am little conflicted about it, on one hand there many elements about it I enjoyed and on the other... many I didn't.

Thanks for sharing!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed