User Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Memory – The Origins Of Alien – New Alien Document...  (Read 19115 times)

iain
Aug 28, 2019, 03:52:03 PM
Reply #225 on: Aug 28, 2019, 03:52:03 PM
Q
Can't wait to sit down and watch this!

Huggs
Aug 29, 2019, 12:17:09 AM
Reply #226 on: Aug 29, 2019, 12:17:09 AM
Q
So will this be available in the U.S.?

Corporal Hicks
Aug 30, 2019, 07:18:20 AM
Reply #231 on: Aug 30, 2019, 07:18:20 AM
Q
Just got my shipping notice for the DVD. I'll chuckle if it's here tomorrow before I go see it at the cinema.

Corporal Hicks
Aug 31, 2019, 07:46:31 AM
Reply #233 on: Aug 31, 2019, 07:46:31 AM
Q
Please remember we don't allow or advocate piracy here.

Corporal Hicks
Sep 02, 2019, 09:21:30 AM
Reply #234 on: Sep 02, 2019, 09:21:30 AM
Q
The later production history is interesting, but has been extensively detailed elsewhere. It’s Philippe’s deeper psychological excavation that really bears fruit, even if his bibliography gets a bit too indiscriminate (the influence of HP Lovecraft seems more relevant to Alien’s icky soulmate The Thing). He joins the dots from Bacon to the Greek Furies, who often hounded children who committed crimes against their creators, their parents; the implication being that the xenomorph is a scourge for over-reaching humanity. Scott, of course, has picked up such Promethean themes in his recent sequels, but it was only the primal power he helped uncork in the first instance that has powered him through these mangled new incarnations.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/aug/30/memory-the-origins-of-alien-review-francis-bacon-greek-myth-dan-o-bannon-sci-fi-classic-film

I enjoyed the doco. It was certainly a different take on Alien and refreshing because of it. I like that O'Bannon got much more focus for his involvement.

HuDaFuK
Sep 02, 2019, 09:31:51 AM
Reply #235 on: Sep 02, 2019, 09:31:51 AM
Q
Neat as well that a lot of it is dedicated to outsiders analysing the various subtexts, which isn't something that's really been featured as heavily ion the existing documentaries. From memory I think Alien Evolution did a bit of that, but certainly not to the same extent.

Baron Von Marlon
Sep 05, 2019, 03:39:22 AM
Reply #236 on: Sep 05, 2019, 03:39:22 AM
Q
The later production history is interesting, but has been extensively detailed elsewhere. It’s Philippe’s deeper psychological excavation that really bears fruit, even if his bibliography gets a bit too indiscriminate (the influence of HP Lovecraft seems more relevant to Alien’s icky soulmate The Thing). He joins the dots from Bacon to the Greek Furies, who often hounded children who committed crimes against their creators, their parents; the implication being that the xenomorph is a scourge for over-reaching humanity. Scott, of course, has picked up such Promethean themes in his recent sequels, but it was only the primal power he helped uncork in the first instance that has powered him through these mangled new incarnations.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/aug/30/memory-the-origins-of-alien-review-francis-bacon-greek-myth-dan-o-bannon-sci-fi-classic-film

I enjoyed the doco. It was certainly a different take on Alien and refreshing because of it. I like that O'Bannon got much more focus for his involvement.

Watched it today and I second the above.
Didn't know O' Bannon and Carpenter had a falling-out so early. A real pity, I think they could've created movie magic together.
Also re-interested in O' Bannon's version of Necronomicon. I read about it a while ago and forgot about it. But his wife brought it up again so now I'm hoping again for a release someday.
And all the other stuff he has written, waiting for the right people to be picked up.

Valaquen
Sep 05, 2019, 12:42:23 PM
Reply #237 on: Sep 05, 2019, 12:42:23 PM
Q
I really haven't had time to write a review, but I got a screener of this a month ago or so. It was interesting, the best parts for me was seeing the excerpts from Memory itself. Otherwise there wasn't much new. The focus on O'Bannon was absolutely welcome. The score for this was great actually (watched it with headphones). But in trying to do something new it goes off on unwelcome tangents. I had flashbacks to sitting in my literary criticism classes at uni. I paused it two or three times to tidy my house  :-[

FenGiddel
Sep 06, 2019, 02:45:38 AM
Reply #238 on: Sep 06, 2019, 02:45:38 AM
Q
I do believe that is one of the most original (and heartfelt) ALIEN-related film reviews I have ever set my eyes upon...  ;D

HuDaFuK
Sep 06, 2019, 11:54:28 AM
Reply #239 on: Sep 06, 2019, 11:54:28 AM
Q
Yeah, while I still far prefer Beast Within overall, I really liked that this had a much more personal feel to it.

Facebook Twitter Instagram Steam RSS Feed