Memory – The Origins Of Alien - New Alien Documentary On The Way

Started by Corporal Hicks, Sep 10, 2018, 05:38:04 AM

Author
Memory – The Origins Of Alien - New Alien Documentary On The Way (Read 59,282 times)

Corporal Hicks

Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jul 01, 2019, 02:33:06 PM
Maybe subterranean just means underground?  As in, not main stream?

Alien was pretty mainstream back in 79. Even more so now.

From that Facebook page......."From writer Dan O'Bannon's original script Star Beast, to H. R. Giger's startling designs, the influences of Egyptian and Greek mythology"

I thought O'Bannon's influences was the old sci-fi/horror films, but Dan does reference Greek drama several times in his book albeit mainly for historical purposes.  I suppose this is where Phillipe sees Greek mythology as one of Dan's driving influences.

However, never once does Dan mention Greek mythology in his book. As for connecting from the influence of Greek drama (or in this case, mythology) for historical purposes to modern script writing, this could be said for countless screenwriters.

Okay, I think I got it sorted it out. It's a matter of applying the 'Seven Degrees of Kevin Bacon' game . . . sorta.

Influenced by numerous old sci-fi/horror films, O'Bannon created the Alien universe, which Giler and Walter Hill, who is largely influenced by Westerns, gave Dan's script a "complete makeover" (contested by O'Bannon). In turn, Ridley Scott was tasked with bringing it to the box office.

In creating the chestburster, Ridley was influenced by Francis Bacon. And in turn, Francis was influenced by Greek mythology for his Crucifixion triptych paintings. So Ridley tasked Giger to create the chestburster with the influence of Francis Bacon, which in turn is influenced by the Greek Furies, though Giger's strongest influences were surrealists Dado and Dali.

So if you go back far enough, eventually you will bump into Greek drama or mythology . . . . though you could pretty much apply that to any modern story. Phillipe decided to hoist the Furies from the back row of influences to a front row showcase of his documentary......and that's why we see wicked witches of the mess rising from the Alien 79's illuminated blue mist.

And there you have it.....The Seven Degrees of Francis Bacon game.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 01, 2019, 03:14:11 PM
For UKians.

https://www.facebook.com/events/2198200837067221/?notif_t=plan_user_invited&notif_id=1561993826974399

Thanks to HuDa for the link. We're thinking of going but not sure when yet.

And tickets booked.  ;D We're doing the 4pm showing on the 31st if folk want to meet up.

The Old One

The Old One

Enjoy!  ;D

Whos_Nick

Legion M will be hosting a couple of Alien themed events at SDCC, just got the press release.

Thurs., July 18 (7:15 p.m.-8:15 p.m.) "Fans Celebrating 40 Years of Alien" Panel, Room 6BCF, San Diego Comic-Con

A deep dive into the origins of "Alien" and its fandom with documentary director Alexandre O. Philippe ("The People vs. George Lucas," "Doc of the Dead," "78/52: Hitchcock's Shower Scene"), Diane O'Bannon (Dan O'Bannon Estate), Will Linn (Joseph Campbell Foundation), David Baxter (Legion M) and special guests as they discuss Philippe's upcoming feature documentary "Memory: The Origins of Alien" and the sustaining power of Ridley Scott's horror/Sci-Fi masterpiece with fandom. Trailer debut from the "Memory: The Origins of Alien" documentary will be shown.

Fri., July 19 (10:00 p.m.- 12:00 a.m.) "Memory: The Origins of Alien" Fan Premiere and Q&A, Theater Box

Come see the critically-acclaimed documentary "Memory: The Origins of Alien" followed by a special Q&A with the film's director Alexandre O. Philippe ("The People vs. George Lucas," "Doc of the Dead"). The feature-length film, which premiered to rave reviews in the Midnight Section at the 2019 Sundance Film Festival, unearths the largely untold origin story behind Ridley Scott's cinematic masterpiece, and reveals a treasure trove of never-before-seen materials from the archives of "Alien" creators Dan O'Bannon and H.R. Giger, including original story notes, rejected designs and storyboards, exclusive behind-the-scenes footage, and O'Bannon's original 29 page script from 1971, titled Memory. The documentary also takes fans on an exploration of the mythical underpinnings of "Alien" and dedicates focus on the film's iconic "Chestburster" scene. "Memory: The Origins of Alien" screening and Q&A hosted by Legion M and Screen Media is a must-see SDCC event for "Alien" fans celebrating the epic horror/Sci-Fi film's 40th anniversary. Ticket info coming soon at www.legionm.com/sdcc2019!

The Old One

The Old One

I hope somebody films the Q&A, if allowed.

Darwinsgirl

My thought exactly...

The Old One

The Old One

We'll see I guess!

The Old One

The Old One

Around the world then? Good.

The Old One

The Old One

I hope the "treasure trove of content" is also available for individual viewing on the home release.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: The Old One on Jul 09, 2019, 12:08:07 PM
Around the world then? Good.

It screened here a couple weeks ago, the publicly funded radio station did a decently long interview with Alexandre too.

The Old One

The Old One

You see the film?

Valaquen

I was encouraged to talk to Alexandre's people to see a preview of this months ago but noped out. I hope it's good. I just wanna know the names of the characters in Memory.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed