Any word on the Strause bros?

Started by Nostromo, Sep 10, 2018, 03:19:12 AM

Author
Any word on the Strause bros? (Read 6,256 times)

Nostromo

Nostromo

Where are they today?  ;D

SM

SM

Busy doing VFX work I expect.

Samhain13

Samhain13

They seem to have move past trying to direct movies and are only into special effects now. If only Paul Anderson had given up as well...

Corporal Hicks

Funnily enough I stayed behind to watch the credits for The Predator last night and I saw Hydraulix credited as working on effects for it. There was Colin's name as a VFX supervisor.

Wweyland

Wweyland

The Predator ship interiors and hologram/UI graphics were quite AvP: R like.

skull-splitter

Quote from: Wweyland on Sep 13, 2018, 08:04:09 PM
The Predator ship interiors and hologram/UI graphics were quite AvP: R like.
Which explains a lot. Didn't care for that at all.

The Cruentus

I don't know if they deserve the crap they get, yes they made a bad movie, two actually and they do seem to have preferences but originally they were going to try to do Requiem in space before that was shot down, they also had a reduced budget. And lets be honest, they didn't write the script (As far as I know). There might have also been some interference as well.
Although, I remember someone on set, either the brothers or someone else telling another crew member to "shut the f*** up" when they mentioned the lack of lighting.

The Old One

The Old One

There were just doing a job that they shouldn't have been IMO.

SiL

SiL

Hydraulx has shut down two of its three studios. Only source I can find at the moment is this Reddit thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/vfx/comments/9k9q06/hydraulx_vfx_studio_shut_down/

Apparently the company was dodgy as hell to work for and nobody has a nice thing to say about it.

Nightmare Asylum

And let us not forget the incredibly weird and creepy treatment of pregnant women in both of their feature films.

The Old One

The Old One

So, Hydraulx shouldn't have been doing any jobs.

SM

SM

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Oct 01, 2018, 03:10:39 PM
And let us not forget the incredibly weird and creepy treatment of pregnant women in both of their feature films.

Been trying to...

Quote from: SiL on Oct 01, 2018, 12:56:00 PM
Hydraulx has shut down two of its three studios. Only source I can find at the moment is this Reddit thread:

Apparently the company was dodgy as hell to work for and nobody has a nice thing to say about it.

Crikey.  :o

AVP-CAPCOM

AVP-CAPCOM

Quote from: SiL on Oct 01, 2018, 12:56:00 PM

I recall reading in a Golden Raspberries Award nominee that SKYLINE (2010) was up for a Razzie. They shamed Hydraulx for using non union CGI artists to create the $10 Million micro-budget SKYLINE film* (*Hydraulx way of showing off spectacle on a thrift budget).

Despite the controversy over working conditions; as a consumer I can definitely say I liked their work for VFX on many good titles.
TERMINATOR 3- RISE OF THE MACHINES, 300, The Avengers (Marvel film), X-Men the list is endless.
Oh and Aliens Vs Predator-Requiem and THE PREDATOR.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydraulx

Considering Liam O Donnell did an AVP-GALAXY podcast to commemorate the 10 year anniversary of AVP-R while promoting his direct to Blu-Ray/DVD BEYOND SKYLINE it would be interesting to see why this VFX company went off a cliff.

SM

SM

If even half of what these people are saying is true - mismanagement.

SiL

SiL

One comment about "the bad boys of VFX" was particularly interesting. Never heard that about them before.

EDIT

Jesus Christ

QuoteIf you know how to kiss ass, you will be the best employee there. If you are unhappy with your supervisor and you complain to your higher ups, nothing will happen because the said supervisor is best friends with one of the brothers. If you go complain about the forced overtime, you would be fired. If you don't agree to the micro management of your supervisor, you are done. Some supervisors in some departments hire only girls because they are easier to control.

QuoteAdding here one brother was worse than the other in terms of berating. Quite a few leads also took pleasure in this and much yelling.

QuoteThe supervisors were all but outright telling me the place was a shithole as I was sitting there.

"sometimes we leave at 6, sometimes we're not sure when we'll leave"

No direct deposit, only hard checks.

They asked me what I heard about the owners. When I spouted some biographical shit I knew about them they stopped me and asked what I really heard about them, and proceeded to explain how difficult they were.

All single monitors, and they still used mental ray. Not a huge thing in its own right, but spoke to their cheapness and that they didn't want to invest in technology.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed