DC's Swamp Thing TV series

Started by Immortan Jonesy, Sep 10, 2018, 01:30:46 AM

Author
DC's Swamp Thing TV series (Read 9,761 times)

Immortan Jonesy

https://twitter.com/slashfilm/status/1039627414727417857

QuoteThere've been a few attempts at Swamp Thing as movies. What can you do with the TV series and the resources available in 2018 to really do it right?

This is one, when you talked earlier about the rating for The Nun, we always set out to make Swamp Thing as hard R as we could and go graphic with the violence, with the adult themes and make it as scary as possible. Because we're doing it through the DC streaming service, they really pushed us, although they didn't have to push hard, for us to go as extreme as we could. We really took our inspiration from the Alan Moore run in Swamp Thing, this landmark I think run. Fans of that series will know it gets pretty weird and extreme and scary. We really wanted to live up to that standard that Moore set up back in the '80s. Then of course it allows us, Swamp Thing himself looks incredible what Justin Raleigh and the guys over at Fractured are doing with the suit. So it's going to look amazing and less of the "man in suit" that you've seen in the movie and the other TV show.

But it is still a suit?

There is a physical costume, yes.

Is it the origin story of Swamp Thing?

Yeah, it's the origin story of the Swamp Thing and it's Alec Holland wrestling with who he's become. A lot of it's told through the point of view of Abby Arcane.

We'll see Titans first but is there an idea that these shows can share a universe?

I think the opportunity is there if we want to but it's not mandated. I think we could if, in the future, it organically works itself out to be that way. I haven't discussed that with the guys from Titans and they haven't discussed it with us.

Is there an opportunity to update Swamp Thing for any modern day environmental concerns?

That stuff is hard not to address when you're doing a show like this. Certainly, it's not Captain Planet but there is an underlying eco message there. We don't want to become too preachy with that stuff but it's more of dealing with people who are living out in the swamps and what they do to the environment, how it affects things and causes things to react. It's hard not to draw some parallel there to what's happening today.

'The Nun' Screenwriter Gary Dauberman Talks 'Conjuring' Spin-offs, 'It: Chapter 2' and DC Universe's 'Swamp Thing' [Interview]

Wweyland

Wweyland

It's cool that they can now have John Constantine and Swamp Thing interactions like in the comics.
The Constantine series was the only one of the DC shows I watched.

SM

SM

I was thinking the same thing.

Not sure they really got Constantine on that TV show, but it was going in the right direction before they canned it.

Mr. Xenomorph

Mr. Xenomorph

Oh I do love Swamp Thing. When I found out that they were actually doing this, I wanted to do cartwheels I was so excited. I remember watching the TV series back in the 90s and playing with Swamp Thing toys. The Wes Craven movie is one of my top 5 favorite super hero movies of all time.

I personally wanted to see Sam Raimi have a stab at ol' Swampy, but I'm just happy it's happening at all.

Immortan Jonesy

Wysps

Wysps

Swamp Thing love right here  :) So looking forward to seeing how this continues to take shape. Happy that they're going the practical suit route.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Wysps on Sep 29, 2018, 05:13:17 PM
Swamp Thing love right here  :) So looking forward to seeing how this continues to take shape. Happy that they're going the practical suit route.

It is supposed to be based on Alan Moore's era so I'm feeling cautiously optimistic about the series.

Stitch

Stitch

I wonder if this means we'll see a re-release of the old Swamp Thing TV show on DVD. I know it's already available, but it's not easily accessible if I remember correctly.

Immortan Jonesy

Mr. Clemens

Mr. Clemens

Man I loved readin' Swampy back in the 80s, even before Alan Moore came into the picture.

Anybody know if this'll come to Netflix? That's all I've got TV-wise. If not I'll torrent it, and if it's good I'll buy it on blu-ray as I've done with Gotham and the two Star Wars shows...

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Deadline is reporting that DC's Swamp Thing will be played by 2 different actors.

QuoteDC Universe's upcoming Swamp Thing series is continuing to cast up, setting Power's Andy Bean to play biologist Alec Holland, who in the DC mythology as created by Len Wein and Bernie Wrightson transforms into the titular creature. Derek Mears, who played another horror icon Jason Voorhees in the Friday the 13th reboot, will play the bog monster.

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1059913902404841472

Mr. Clemens

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Nov 07, 2018, 09:23:52 PM
Deadline is reporting that DC's Swamp Thing will be played by 2 different actors.

QuoteDC Universe's upcoming Swamp Thing series is continuing to cast up, setting Power's Andy Bean to play biologist Alec Holland, who in the DC mythology as created by Len Wein and Bernie Wrightson transforms into the titular creature. Derek Mears, who played another horror icon Jason Voorhees in the Friday the 13th reboot, will play the bog monster.

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1059913902404841472

Makes sense to me. Alec Holland and Swamp Thing should be unlike in physical stature.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Mears was a good Jason. And the old movies did the double casting as well.

Immortan Jonesy

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed