The Predator
Resurrection
Neither
Like them both equally.
Author
The Predator vs A:R (Read 5,780 times)

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Resurrection. It was a bad script salvaged by interesting direction and performances, whereas The Predator was a bad script with maybe one or two good moments but hacked apart by a million rounds of reshoots and incredibly sloppy editing.

SiL

SiL

The first two Predator movies have plenty of cheese, but they take themselves seriously. The Predator never does.

EJA

EJA

I'm not sure I'd say A: R was a particularly comedic movie. That said, I think I agree with Corporal Hicks that I prefer The Predator, despite its flaws.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 18, 2018, 07:35:45 AM
Resurrection is definitely more coherent but I don't really enjoy watching it. There's elements to it that I really like and think there's some real potential with but it's not one of the films I revisit very often. The Predator I had fun with and I just absolutely love the Loonies but I can already feel myself getting increasingly frustrated with its plot. I think of the two, I'd be more likely to rewatch The Predator though.

I definitely enjoyed Predators more but I am not sure if that is simply because I have seen Resurrection so many times that I am bored by it. The loonies were a highlight for Predator and they stood out more than the pirates of the betty did. That being said, Johner and Elgyn, stood out well and were entertaining but I would say Thomas Jane eclipsed them.
Fugitive is another highlight for me, even if it was short lived. Resurrection didn't really have antagonist that awed or scared you.

Quote from: Wweyland on Sep 18, 2018, 08:38:09 AM
Resurrection is the better movie but I have seen it too many times. I would watch The Predator again to discover something new.
I fear that is why I did seem to enjoy Predator more but the plot and the ideas and just so bad, its a film that doesn't know where it wanted to go thanks to the rewrites.

Quote from: PsyKore on Sep 18, 2018, 09:14:32 AM
Both are cheesy and have comedy but it's at least more fitting in the Predator universe. The first two Predator films have a lot of cheesy stuff in them and over-the-top action, so The Predator is still in keeping with tradition.

But with Resurrection, the comedy and silliness doesn't work well because the Alien saga up until then had always been overtly dark in nature and serious, so it has a very out-of-place presence in the saga.

My vote is The Predator is a far better film despite its warts.

I definitely agree that such humor is more well placed in the Predator side but I think it doesn't make it immune to being affected by it. There is also the intent behind the movies. I am not sure if Black was trying to make a parody but I read somewhere recently that Joss Whedon actually did write Resurrection as straight up parody in an effort to get himself fired from the job, unfortunately someone up there liked and went with that script. However I am not sure how true it is since I just looked for where I could have read that and all I see is tv tropes  :laugh: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Creator/JossWhedon

Quote from: The Old One on Sep 18, 2018, 09:32:15 AM
Which is a good thing IMO- the fourth entry in which you bring back Ripley and the Alien via cloning shouldn't be serious.
Precisely why I take it as a parody, in fact I dare say that had Alien:Ressurection been marketed as a parody along with a few minor adjustments, it might have actually been more well received because one thing that can factor in critic reviews is what they believe the intent of the movie was vs what they are reviewing.

Russ840

Russ840

For me, Alien Resurrection is an Alien comic book movie on screen. I don't consider it to be Ripley's story i.e the original trilogy.

I kind of see The Predator as a Predator comic book movie also.

EJA

EJA

Quote from: Russ840 on Sep 18, 2018, 10:58:08 AM
For me, Alien Resurrection is an Alien comic book movie on screen. I don't consider it to be Ripley's story i.e the original trilogy.

I kind of see The Predator as a Predator comic book movie also.

One of the better Predator comic books.

skhellter

skhellter

Resurrection.

It's actually shot like a real movie, for one. And has a great soundtrack.
Ryder and Weaver are both super convincing in their roles.

The Predator looks like a CW show with some super dull cinematography.

bobby brown

bobby brown

I prefer Resurrection, a far better-accomplished film.
Although The Predator kind of succeeds as an ok movie in terms of comedy.

Lionhart

Lionhart

this is a hard one. I remember when AR came out, I enjoyed it back then. I Think I will have to go with AR

Bishop2

Bishop2

Quote from: The Cruentus on Sep 09, 2018, 10:24:42 AM
Got this idea from another similar thread, the AVPR vs A;R one.

Now both of these movies are the fourth in their respective series and both have taken directions some may or may not like.
Both seem to be high on comedy, bordering on parody, both feature a group of misfits and they have both gone in a little over the top in terms of lore and plausibility.

The difference so far is that critics seems to be slightly favorable to the Predator than Resurrection, but what does us fans think?

That sure wasn't true in 1997.

Back then, critics were majority-positive on Resurrection. Although only barely. I think the positive roundup rating was like, in the 49-51% range.

Perhaps they were just relieved to see something so different from the tone of 3? I dunno. It's hindsight that's made people decide/realize/hivemind (depending on your POV) that Resurrection is largely awful.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Speaking of critics, Resurrection is currently higher on the RT meter with 55% to the predator's 34%. They are both classed as mixed at the moment.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Predator 2 stands at 43% and Predators at 65% on RT. How can i take this site seriously after that lol

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

While I agree the site is probably not accurate, I think those are only critic ratings, not audience. Us fans are more likely to like something like Predator 2 than critics who are usually more objective. Though I personally agree that Predators is probably the better film in some ways, that being said I enjoy Predator 2 just as much if only out of nostalgia.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Sep 20, 2018, 05:42:35 PM
Predator 2 stands at 43% and Predators at 65% on RT. How can i take this site seriously after that lol

Pfffftt. Who could believe such a source?  :D

bb-15

bb-15

I got confused because I thought the vote must between "The Predator" and "AVP Requiem".  :P

While there's comedy in both "The Predator" and "Resurrection", they are very different kinds of films.

So anyway, my vote was wrong.
I rate "The Predator" and "Resurrection" about the same.

;)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed