Game Over Man!?

Started by chrisr232007, Sep 08, 2018, 01:43:31 PM

Author
Game Over Man!? (Read 2,699 times)

chrisr232007

chrisr232007

Is the end near for our beloved Alien and Predator movie franchises?

Prometheus was average then Alien Convenient being worse and neither achieving much success at the box office (Ya i know Prometheus made some profit but not much). Which we haven't had a great and successful Alien movie since Aliens. Then you have the Predator movies yes the first one was great and a success but after that everything has been a failure either finaclaily, by reviews, and/or been hated by general audiences/fans (I love P2 and Predators was ok while the AvP movies were horrible). Now The Predator seems to be a mix bag so far. If The Predator fails along with the failure of Alien Convenient (Then add the past 25 years plus of failed attempts to make good Alien and Predator movies) and with Disney buying Fox, is the end to are beloved franchises (movie wise)?

Wysps

Wysps

Maybe under FOX. But both Alien and Predator have survived bad movies in the past - I expect this time to be no different. A brief period of respit may be in order to "re-group" however...

chrisr232007

chrisr232007

Quote from: Wysps on Sep 08, 2018, 02:23:25 PM
Maybe under FOX. But both Alien and Predator have survived bad movies in the past - I expect this time to be no different. A brief period of respit may be in order to "re-group" however...

I don't know man. Im not saying its dead for good but its a poor investment for any studio going forward even more if The Predator fails.....the best case if The Predator does fail I see both franchises being put on the self for 15 to 20 years then doing a total reboot on both.

SiL

SiL

The longest we've gone without an Alien related movie since 1979 is 7 years. Prometheus made almost half a billion dollars. Covenant under performed but they're still discussing a sequel.

SM

SM

QuoteIs the end near for our beloved Alien and Predator movie franchises?

No.

chrisr232007

chrisr232007

Quote from: SiL on Sep 08, 2018, 08:41:45 PM
The longest we've gone without an Alien related movie since 1979 is 7 years. Prometheus made almost half a billion dollars. Covenant under performed but they're still discussing a sequel.

Prometheus made i think barely made 400 million around the world on a 130 million budget while Covenant made 240 million around the world on a 100 million budget. With that said Prometheus only made that money because it was Ridley's big return to sci-fi and Covenant barely made money because they stuck Alien on the label and forced Ridley to put a alien in it. I doubt a third gets made seeing Ridley has lost his touch and believes the alien is done plus Disney is taking over. As for Predators movies well if The Predator fails then we can forget seeing another Predator movie for awhile. I love both Alien and Predator but Fox has run each into the ground and each has lost what made them special in the first place. Their best bet for not getting shelved is to be sold to a new studio once Disney takes over (Which Disney may not sell them off instead keep the rights due to what they can make off the comics, merchandise, and re'releases of the previous movies) if not then it will be many years before we see any type of movie from either of them.

SM

SM

The main thing holding stuff up at the moment is the Disney purchase.  Once that's sorted we're more likely to hear solid news about where they're going.

chrisr232007

chrisr232007

Quote from: SM on Sep 08, 2018, 09:11:57 PM
The main thing holding stuff up at the moment is the Disney purchase.  Once that's sorted we're more likely to hear solid news about where they're going.

True....kinda sucks not knowing what the future holds for my second and third favourite franchises (Godzilla will always be number one for me  ;D )

Wweyland

Wweyland

There will be a hiatus but this is not the end.

The Old One

The Old One

If nothing else you've got Tongal Alien 40th Anniversary short films to look forward to and all this upcoming media:

Alien Isolation Novelisation,
Aliens Dust To Dust,
William Gibson's ALIEN 3
& Cold Iron Forge's Alien.

chrisr232007

chrisr232007

Quote from: The Old One on Sep 09, 2018, 06:26:01 PM
If nothing else you've got Tongal Alien 40th Anniversary short films to look forward to and all this uocoming media:

Alien Isolation Novelisation,
Aliens Dust To Dust,
William Gibson's ALIEN 3
& Cold Iron Forge's Alien.

Which is great and with Disney taking over I can see them just investing in anything other then big budget movies.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

It pains me but I don't imagine The Predator is going to done that well so I think we're going to end up with another hiatus. But realistically it's all going to depend on the Disney buy-out and what they do with the properties.

Kel G 426

Kel G 426

Quoteand Covenant barely made money because they stuck Alien on the label and forced Ridley to put a alien in it.

I don't know, but I'd guess that the Alien hurt Covenant more than it helped, and that its absence was a big factor in the success of Prometheus. I never see anyone outside the fandom getting excited over another Alien or Predator movie. The brand seems worn out to me.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: Kelgaard on Sep 10, 2018, 01:30:50 PM
I don't know, but I'd guess that the Alien hurt Covenant more than it helped, and that its absence was a big factor in the success of Prometheus. I never see anyone outside the fandom getting excited over another Alien or Predator movie. The brand seems worn out to me.

The avp movies kind of took away the status the brand had in the 80s and 90s. The absence of aliens on Prometheus bothered me because the alien franchise was highjacked and turned into an ancient astronauts pseudoscience propaganda movie with some christian bias as well. So bringing back aliens on Covenant did sound like a good idea at first.

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

I think the they could benefit a lot from going the limited series route in the future, Aliens especially.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed