Do you feel that a new AVP film would be popular with the general audience?

Started by Scott Conover, Sep 02, 2018, 07:23:59 AM

Author
Do you feel that a new AVP film would be popular with the general audience? (Read 2,090 times)

Scott Conover

I think maybe the franchise has too much of a bad reputation after the previous two cinematic outings. 

whiterabbit

If they made an AVP3 it would be the most loved AVP movie ever.

Huggs

Huggs

It depends on how it is made and marketed.

As a Jurassic World style guns blazin' pg-13 critter fest? probably decent, but only decent.

As an R-rated property that actually does justice to the concept? Not good. It would be one of those movies that would only please a certain amount of people (the fanbase) initially, but become a cult icon later, aka the movie we need.

As another lower budget sequel set on earth? Fair. It would do okay, like the previous 2. But it would likely suck, and spell the absolute end of the franchise on film, and I mean permanently.

ChanceVance

They'd need to take a hint from the video games and set it in Colonial Marines times.

I also think a semi big name actor/actress attached to it would help sell it better to a general audience. That's what the other two films suffered from. No big names, no big budgets. 
Prometheus had the right idea. Rapace was a good lead backed up by a supporting cast people recognized.

Violence would also have to be toned down which the Predator would suffer from. The Xenos horror and menace doesn't need a ton of blood to be conveyed.

yautjapet

It's been 14 and 11 years since AVP and AVP:R, respectively, and by the time a new movie would be approved, make it through production and onto screens, etc, several more years would be tacked onto that. When we consider the new generation of people in their teens and early twenties who were too young to see the original AVP movies when they came out, I think that's enough time to mitigate some of the negative stigma.

Quote from: ChanceVance on Sep 03, 2018, 12:55:02 PM
They'd need to take a hint from the video games and set it in Colonial Marines times.

I agree, we need to move away from Earth and the current time period or it's just going to feel like "why are we doing this again?"

KillCrites

I think Aliens vs Predator is more well known with general audiences than both properties individually so maybe???

SM

AvP would've done better in the mid-90s when both series were way more popular.

Samhain13

Quote from: SM on Sep 03, 2018, 08:27:01 PM

This. Over the last 10 years, the interest in the series from the general audience decreased. And the quality of the movies post-2000 just made things worse. The last attempts to bring back each franchise didn't work so well. Covenant didn't make much money, Predators probably as well since it never got a sequel.

But AVP2010 and Isolation seem to have sold pretty well, the last novels as well. The movie series don't seem to get much attention from the average person but the EU does. Another AVP movie wouldn't work right now. A new game for the new consoles might be all that can keep the concept alive.

The Cruentus

I also think a semi big name actor/actress attached to it would help sell it better to a general audience. That's what the other two films suffered from. No big names, no big budgets. 
Prometheus had the right idea. Rapace was a good lead backed up by a supporting cast people recognized.

Violence would also have to be toned down which the Predator would suffer from. The Xenos horror and menace doesn't need a ton of blood to be conveyed.

The movies didn't suffer because there was no "big names" in it, it suffered due to a lot of other reasons.

No, but when the kills do happen, we want to be able to see them and not have extreme unfocused close ups or cut-a-ways like in the PG-13 AVP film.

D88M

Quote from: yautjapet on Sep 03, 2018, 04:50:38 PM
It's been 14 and 11 years since AVP and AVP:R, respectively

Where does time gooo

Quote from: SM on Sep 03, 2018, 08:27:01 PM

Yeah, i like this idea, specially because it would have barely any CGI in it, after Predator 2 and Alien 3 it would have been great, something like 1995 maybe. With a big budget for the time it would have been a great movie and done great at the box office, i think.

I think that if the marketing is well done, a new AVP movie could do well at the box office, i doubt that it would do GREAT, but good enough for the people who invested the money to be satisfied. We need serious, violent movies like before, we barely get any commercial blockbuster that is not family friendly or humorous, and we need more horror. If the trailer was well edited it could get people hyped.

ChanceVance

Quote from: The Cruentus on Sep 03, 2018, 11:45:32 PM

The movies didn't suffer because there was no "big names" in it, it suffered due to a lot of other reasons.

No, but when the kills do happen, we want to be able to see them and not have extreme unfocused close ups or cut-a-ways like in the PG-13 AVP film.

I suppose suffered is hyperbolic but if you wanted to make a film that resonated well with audiences and the box office, a notable name or director would certainly help.

The Cruentus

It would only help the marketing and possible box office draw, it would not guarantee that the movie itself would be critically well received.

Alien did fine with the cast they had back then, most of them weren't as famous as they are now, especially Sigourney who practically an unknown back then.

Corporal Hicks

I think if we could manage an all around successful film for each of the franchises, general interest for a crossover may return.

SM

Post Alien 3 would've been the best point after you had two films that were in the public consciousness but not overly successful.

The only way it'd work again in future is if, as you say, they had really big standalone flicks.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed