Alien: Isolation The Novel Bursting January 2019!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Sep 01, 2018, 06:39:31 AM

Author
Alien: Isolation The Novel Bursting January 2019! (Read 65,293 times)

Still Collating...

If I remember, they were on Luna Station when they met?

I agree as others have said, reference the company, important lore bits of Isolation, but having Zula and Amanda be buds was a little silly.

Wweyland

Ellen Ripley was born on Luna though, right? Makes sense for her daughter to also grow up there.

SM

SM

She just worked there.  There's nothing to suggest she grew up there.

I liked how they linked Zula and Amanda. It gives the 'EU' a bit more cohesion between titles and media.

Perfect-Organism

I think that a short random encounter with Amanda was silly.  However, Zula could have been a great back-up character in an Amanda story.  If the intent was to create a cohesive story tying the two characters together, then it would have worked.  Otherwise, this was another element of Defiance that failed.  It could have literally developed into a story from Zula's point of view as a back-up character and how she relates to Amanda's bigger story.  I just don't like shoehorning...

SM

They each have their own stories.  Defiance is Zula's story; Isolation is Amanda's story.  Why does the black woman have to be the "back-up character"?

And it wasn't a short random encounter - they became friends and she helped Amanda out on tech jobs while she was doing rehab at Luna.

Xenomrph

I'd have been okay with it even just being a "random encounter". It visually helps establish a timeframe of when things are going in relation to other things. Cameos are cool and I'm okay with them. :)

The Old One

The Old One

It was a mistake.
Too ultimately coincidental that they would both encounter the Alien, separately.
It's contrived and I believe it was a misstep.

As was not having the entirety of Defiance under Tristan Jones.

Xenomrph

Quote from: The Old One on Sep 06, 2018, 01:33:36 AM
It was a mistake.
Too ultimately coincidental that they would both encounter the Alien, separately.
It's contrived and I believe it was a misstep.

As was not having the entirety of Defiance under Tristan Jones.

Well they both would have encountered the Alien separately even if Amanda Ripley hadn't cameoed - 'Alien Isolation' came out before the comic, and the comic was always intended to be about Zula and since the word "Aliens" is in the title, the odds are pretty good that she'd encounter an Alien at some point. :P

Definitely agree on the second point, though.

The Old One

The Old One

Of course they encountered them separately, it's the fact they encountered them in two completely different instances;
Both miraculously the singular survivors of their own encounter with the same deadly Alien.
While also both having an unrelated personal relationship.
It's that which I believe is contrived and I do not buy it.

Xenomrph

Quote from: The Old One on Sep 06, 2018, 01:56:01 AM
Of course they encountered them separately, it's the fact they encountered them in two completely different instances;
Both miraculously the singular survivors of their own encounter with the same deadly Alien.
While also both having an unrelated personal relationship.
It's that which I believe is contrived and I do not buy it.
What if Amanda's presence had just been a passing cameo?

The Old One

The Old One

I wouldn't find it as egregious but still dislike the inclusion.

cloverfan98

Hope its a sequel to the game as it sadly looks like we won't get a proper game sequel and the sequel bait ending of the first game was really annoying.

The Old One

The Old One

I don't believe ambiguous = Sequel bait, especially with the way it ended.

SM

She got picked up.  Not really sequel bait.

The Cruentus

Yep, she see a lot pass over her face, clearly a ship has found her.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed