Alien: Isolation The Novel Bursting January 2019!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Sep 01, 2018, 06:39:31 AM

Author
Alien: Isolation The Novel Bursting January 2019! (Read 67,296 times)

HuDaFuK

The combination of this novel announcement and Hicks mentioning the game's DLC the other day has led me to reinstall Isolation on the PS4. It's high time I finished the last couple of Survivor add-ons that I never played.

Wweyland

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 04, 2018, 08:08:26 AM
The combination of this novel announcement and Hicks mentioning the game's DLC the other day has led me to reinstall Isolation on the PS4. It's high time I finished the last couple of Survivor add-ons that I never played.
Never played those although I loved the original game. Heard you just replay some levels from the original game without any story?

The Cruentus

Unfortunately that is true, there is't any story in most of the DLCs, I think there may be some tidbits as in a few logs but there is no story. I have yet to do them myself.
I have only done the Nostromo ones, which actually do have a little story to them, namely it focuses on a deleted scenerio from Alien where they managed to flush the Alien out of the vents and into the airlock.
The other one is a recreation of Ripley's escape I believe.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Wweyland on Sep 04, 2018, 09:16:44 AMNever played those although I loved the original game. Heard you just replay some levels from the original game without any story?

They're completely new levels, but there isn't a lot of story (other than playing as a character you come across in the main game trying to survive before Amanda arrives on Sevastopol). Gameplay-wise they're great though. Considerably more difficult than the main game and a good way to jump straight into the action without having to play through the entire campaign of the main game.

They also mix up the gameplay a little bit - there's a good one where virtually the entire level consists of you being stuck in some vents with a load of Facehuggers.

Nostromo

Kick ass storyline and perfect timeline. Wish this would have been selected as a movie trilogy, although prequels are always interesting..

Add the Defiance storyline as a tie in and wow.

The Old One

The Old One

Amanda Ripley being involved in Defiance was contrived, and Defiance unfortunately totally fell apart in the second half.

Wweyland

Quote from: The Old One on Sep 05, 2018, 04:11:00 AM
Amanda Ripley being involved in Defiance was contrived, and Defiance unfortunately totally fell apart in the second half.
Just a cameo in the beginning would have been fine, but they started to mention her a lot and she was supposed to be the best friend on Zula, which was just too much.

HuDaFuK

^ What they said.

The Cruentus

It seems to be happening everywhere though, ever since Isolation and how successful it was, nearly every novel, audible or comic that came after has to reference something from it. Its not a bad thing and it has shown that Isolation has really made an impact but I think some references are better than others.

The Old One

The Old One

Referencing an interstellar hub, or a company/organisation is one thing-
Referencing a survivor of an unrecorded Alien infestation is another.

Corporal Hicks

It was supposed to be before Isolation, wasn't it?

The Old One

The Old One

I believe so.

The Cruentus

From what I remember of that comic, Zula used to follow Amanda about on gateway or some other station I believe. So it was set before Isolation but I remember Isolation telling us that Amanda spent most of her time working in the area her mother disappeared. Gateway is right by earth which is no where near the Zeta Reticuli.

SM

Quote from: Wweyland on Sep 05, 2018, 08:15:44 AM
Just a cameo in the beginning would have been fine, but they started to mention her a lot and she was supposed to be the best friend on Zula, which was just too much.

Amanda was Zula's only friend - so therefore was best friend by default.

Defiance takes place entirely after Isolation (apart from the flashbacks).

Nostromo

Quote from: Nostromo on Sep 05, 2018, 04:03:48 AM
Kick ass storyline and perfect timeline. Wish this would have been selected as a movie trilogy, although prequels are always interesting..

Add the Defiance storyline as a tie in and wow.

You're right, when one mentions Defiance, they should also add an asterisk, with issues 1-6 and without the constant wasted space and chatter of Zula's health problems. Great locations and story though, in the first 6 issues.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed