Alien: Isolation The Novel Bursting January 2019!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Sep 01, 2018, 06:39:31 AM

Author
Alien: Isolation The Novel Bursting January 2019! (Read 67,181 times)

Hudson

Hudson

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Aug 29, 2019, 10:24:21 PM
Mediocrity isn't good for marketing.

Well maybe you should start working for Fox. I think they've needed this insight for quite a while with regard to Alien and Predator.

Samhain13

Quite.

Wweyland

The book mentions an incident in Ellen Ripley's past where she helped save a shuttle from "Earther terrorists".
Wonder if that is a nod to the Alien: Covenant Origins prequel where an exactly similar event occurred. The timeline doesn't quite match (she would have been 11 years old), but maybe she was a cadet in training?

HuDaFuK

It's not. It's a nod to Ridley Scott's original notes for the character, which I believe mention just such an event.

SM

SM

That ^.

Quote2115 (October 16)

Ripley successfully negotiates an end to a hostage crisis on Weyland-Yutani shuttle craft Erebus saving 49 lives and resulting in the conviction of 8 terrorists.

From Alien DVD.

Kimarhi

She should've taken them all out. 

Kradan

Kradan

Have listened to audiobook recently. Pretty enjoyed it. I really like the flashback parts 'cause they really made me believe that Amanda was the person able to survive the situation she was in on Sevastopol. Also I really liked how Ellen's missing was described as a real tragedy for her daughter - what was supposed to be the happiest day in her life turned into the worst one. I didn't get that sense from game itself and mention of Amanda in Aliens was too damn short. Seeing situation through Amandas's POV was cool too and sometimes it was surprisingly funny ( " f**k, f**k, f**k "  if you know what i mean )

But on another hand, the actual in - game events weren't translated to a book format very well and felt very cut . Hospital, Project KG -348, hive sections ( the most memorable ones IMO ) were unforgivably short. Alien didn't seem more of a threat than goddamn Joe or just some malfunction which is a total shame especially knowing what Stompy is in Isolation. And I think it didn't really appeared much in the book. Also not a fan of killable xenos and Amanda being able to outrun them.

But again i enjoyed Amanda's backstory very much and honestly would prefer if whole book was just about Amanda dealing with her life after mom's missing. I guess it would be called Alien Isolation Origins 'cause it wouldn't have any Aliens in it  :P

7,5 / 10

The Old One

The Old One

Yes, I very much concur.

SM

SM

QuoteAlso not a fan of killable xenos and Amanda being able to outrun them.

They get killed and outran in the films a lot.

QuoteBut again i enjoyed Amanda's backstory very much and honestly would prefer if whole book was just about Amanda dealing with her life after mom's missing.

Not the best plan for to attract casuals.

The Old One

The Old One

So? It's an adaptation of Isolation, not the films-
and the essence of the original (superior) story isn't present.

Corporal Hicks

I'm revisiting this to review it! Wonder how it holds up for my second read through.

HuDaFuK

My overriding memories of the book are loving that they tied Ripley's history into the Ridley notes and hating how badly it mishandled the actual Alien stuff.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Sep 12, 2019, 09:12:36 PM
So? It's an adaptation of Isolation, not the films-
and the essence of the original (superior) story isn't present.
The Alien's not actually indestructible in the story, though. It's a game mechanic.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 23, 2019, 09:00:38 AM
I'm revisiting this to review it! Wonder how it holds up for my second read through.

We need podcast Corporal. Bay 12, please .

Spoiler
And what about long-awaited Isolation walktrough ?
[close]

Hudson

Hudson

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 23, 2019, 11:18:19 AM
My overriding memories of the book are loving that they tied Ripley's history into the Ridley notes and hating how badly it mishandled the actual Alien stuff.

My lasting first impression will be the pervasive sense throughout that the author never once played the video game. And then this turned out to be the case.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed