Alien: Isolation The Novel Bursting January 2019!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Sep 01, 2018, 06:39:31 AM

Author
Alien: Isolation The Novel Bursting January 2019! (Read 67,207 times)

The Cruentus

Interesting, if you do find it Hicks, could you post it? It would be nice to see a side by side comparison and see if they did a good job fixing it.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Samhain13 on Jul 15, 2019, 01:12:54 PMIts like some writers don't even bother to watch the movies.

Some of the film-to-novel goofs in River of Pain struck me as especially egregious, because there were moments when it conspicuously recreated scenes from the film and then got them wrong. I mean ffs, I'm not talking about really picky stuff that only nerds like us would jump on, I'm talking about things that would be abundantly obvious from watching said scenes even once, which you'd think would be par for the course if you're actively trying to duplicate them.

It just makes the whole thing feel sloppy and careless.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 15, 2019, 01:55:06 PMI believe that got fixed in later printings? I remember seeing mention of it somewhere.

Really? That's interesting. I'll try to remember to have a peek if I ever stumble across a copy in a shop.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jul 15, 2019, 03:21:38 PM
Quote from: Samhain13 on Jul 15, 2019, 01:12:54 PMIts like some writers don't even bother to watch the movies.

Some of the film-to-novel goofs in River of Pain struck me as especially egregious, because there were moments when it conspicuously recreated scenes from the film and then got them wrong. I mean ffs, I'm not talking about really picky stuff that only nerds like us would jump on, I'm talking about things that would be abundantly obvious from watching said scenes even once, which you'd think would be par for the course if you're actively trying to duplicate them.

It just makes the whole thing feel sloppy and careless.

Yeah, sometimes the authors seems make very simple errors, which could have been easily avoided by simply watching the movies and paying attention. There has been moments which Predators kill unharmed humans in books, and it seems some authors weren't even aware that's a thing they don't tend to do.

But then sometimes they still want or have to change stuff for whatever reason, River of Pain and Out of Shadows had of lot of retconing of course, well the Ripley and Narcissus stuff, then they had the Jorden find bodies of Engineers and Aliens that killed each other on the Derelict, and automatically mentioned how they knew right way the Engineers were wearing suits.  ::) 

Maybe Fox also asked to try to tie in with what we saw on Prometheus. Another thing I noticed as I'm reading stuff, both Original Sin and Sea of Sorrows mention the beacon from the Derelict as being a distress call for help while its clear on Alien it was actually a warning signal to stay away.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 15, 2019, 01:55:06 PM
I believe that got fixed in later printings? I remember seeing mention of it somewhere.

Never heard any mention of this. Only the changes in later printings of Bug Hunt.

Corporal Hicks

Huggs

Huggs

Is that wear on the cover just part of the art, or does your mailman drive a paint shaker?

Corporal Hicks

Ha. It's part of the cover art.

Perfect-Organism

I still can't believe this exists.  So cool!

Now let's get that Prometheus expanded novelization done!

Frosty Venom

Interesting that DeCandido was given information particularly from Out of the Shadows...

SM

SM

If it pertains to Amanda's parentage then it's a given.

Corporal Hicks

I wish I'd have known to re-read Out of the Shadows before. I've already run into some flashbacks and I can't remember how it jives with what we learnt in Shadows.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SM on Jul 19, 2019, 03:35:09 AMIf it pertains to Amanda's parentage then it's a given.

I wondered how well this was going to tie into past info about her. I'm glad they're making an effort to get it all to line up.

SM

SM

From memory it ties in to the bits and pieces mentioned in the animated series.  But goes into more detail about her past.

Spoiler
And a little of her mother's, pre-Nostromo.
[close]

HuDaFuK

I already prodded Hicks to drop a question about how much background info DeCandido received should he ever get an interview with him :)

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 19, 2019, 07:25:05 AMI've already run into some flashbacks and I can't remember how it jives with what we learnt in Shadows.

Her dad's name should be Alex and she was born at home. That's about all I remember lol.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Thanks for that interview article.  I sure hope Out of the Shadows is not treated as canon and referenced here.  I love OotS but only as a sort of alternative universe scenario.  I'm all for a new Ripley adventure post Aliens, but for her to do something in the 57 years between the 2 main films is pretty silly.  It's silly fun.

Is that cover glossy or a flat finish.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed