"Rabbit Omnibus" - Aliens: Colonial Marines: Bad Company Library

Started by TheSailingRabbit, Aug 29, 2018, 11:56:36 AM

Author
"Rabbit Omnibus" - Aliens: Colonial Marines: Bad Company Library (Read 3,077 times)

TheSailingRabbit

TheSailingRabbit

The complete library of my fanfictions. Updated as new stories are published to FanFiction and Archive Of Our Own.

The original posts were a bit messy, so I decided to modify. :P

Main Series: Taking place between 2175 and 2179, we are treated to the daily journals of Private Drake.
1. Boreal Nightmare
2. Silver Flower
3. Humidity Ghosts
4. Grey Hearts
5. Past Shadows
6. Blue Moon
7. Cold Spirits
8. Lost Cause
9. Red Ice
10. Perpetual Storm
11. Night Rise
12. False Dawn
13. Looming Dusk
14. Shadow Rising

Spinoffs: Third-person narrative novels following other Marines in the unit.
Violet Horizons - Follows Vasquez. (Chronologically takes place between "Cold Spirits" and "Lost Cause.")
White Noise - Follows Hicks. (Takes place before "Boreal Nightmare.")
Dead Air - Follows Hudson. (Takes place between "Perpetual Storm" and "Night Rise.")
Crash Course - Follows Spunkmeyer and Ferro. (Takes place before "Boreal Nightmare.")
Ashen Mirror - Follows Wierzbowski. (Takes place between "Night Rise" and "False Dawn.")
Hidden Memories - Follows Hicks and Hudson. (Takes place during "Ice Star.")
Faded Voices - Follows Spunkmeyer and Ferro. (Takes place between "Looming Dusk" and "Shadow Rising.")
Whispered Scream - Follows Dietrich. (Takes place after "Ice Star.")
Burning Bridges - Follows Gorman. (Takes place after "Silver Flower.")
Winding Path - Follows Gorman. (Takes place after "Whispered Scream.")

The Aliens Rewrite: I had been asked by a reader on FanFiction whether I'd consider doing a rewrite of the film where all the Marines survive. In a few short months, a friend of mine presented me with a summary of a rewrite, where only a couple of factors are changed to make it work. The biggest two are a competent Gorman and an absent Burke. I ended up liking the end result of the story so much that the series is based around that rather than the actual film.
- Ice Star

Forthcoming:
- Eternal Eclipse
- Broken Arrow
- Absent Mercy
- Fallen Ice
- Polar Desolation
- Rebel Souls
- Ardent Stand
- Infernal Burden

TC

TC

Thanks, this was a.good read!

Possibly even better if I'd been able to get into the swing of things a bit earlier. When you pick up an Aliens/Colonial Marines story you expect a certain amount of grittiness and hard-hitting action, with a reasonable dose of "mature content." I was not expecting a Colonial Marines-Ewok mash up   :)

Most stories have some way of "positioning" the audience in advance. Maybe it's a movie's poster art, or the illustration on the book cover, or often just a carefully chosen title. Maybe a better title would have helped me?

My only other comment is that a story generally benefits from a strong-willed protagonist. Someone whose decisiveness helps shape the plot, rather than the plot occurring all around them and all they do is react. Drake seems to spend a lot of time being pushed around by others and being told off.

TC

TheSailingRabbit

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: TC on Sep 12, 2018, 09:44:19 AM
Thanks, this was a.good read!

Possibly even better if I'd been able to get into the swing of things a bit earlier. When you pick up an Aliens/Colonial Marines story you expect a certain amount of grittiness and hard-hitting action, with a reasonable dose of "mature content." I was not expecting a Colonial Marines-Ewok mash up   :)

Most stories have some way of "positioning" the audience in advance. Maybe it's a movie's poster art, or the illustration on the book cover, or often just a carefully chosen title. Maybe a better title would have helped me?

My only other comment is that a story generally benefits from a strong-willed protagonist. Someone whose decisiveness helps shape the plot, rather than the plot occurring all around them and all they do is react. Drake seems to spend a lot of time being pushed around by others and being told off.

TC

Thanks for taking the time to give this a shot.

I guess that's something I didn't consider at first when working on this (Drake not being an "active" protagonist). The story was more or less an attempt to throw something at a wall to see if it stuck. It could benefit from more details, added grittiness, and perhaps the creatures introduced could've been handled better. That all improves slightly as the series progresses, but I know that first story is supposed to hook people in.

TheSailingRabbit

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12882583/1/Silver-Flower

So, this is story number two. You might notice the plot appears to go in one direction and quickly swerves in another. Yeah, this was still a rather experimental phase. There was a point where I wanted to go in the Xenomorph direction, and chose not because one, it didn't make sense, and two, I like character drama more.

TheSailingRabbit

TheSailingRabbit

TheSailingRabbit

Opening post has been modified for easier readability, and updated library.

"Rabbit Omnibus" came from user Huggs.

Huggs

Quote from: TheSailingRabbit on Dec 29, 2019, 11:38:43 PM

Aww, shucks.

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: Huggs on Dec 30, 2019, 12:23:55 AM
Quote from: TheSailingRabbit on Dec 29, 2019, 11:38:43 PM

Aww, shucks.

It fit very well.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed