User Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Colonial Marines Short Stories and Ideas  (Read 500 times)

TheSailingRabbit
Aug 29, 2018, 11:56:36 AM
Topic on: Aug 29, 2018, 11:56:36 AM
Q
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12849606/1/Boreal-Nightmare

I will be honest, I don't think this is the best thing I've ever written. I didn't expect it to get the feedback it did when I uploaded it to FF.net. I was fairly new to writing Aliens stories at the time, and scared to death of screwing up the canon characters. Somehow, though, this and the following stories garnered a decent-sized following that prompted me to expand to other places. It's not likely this story will be edited, but constructive criticism is appreciated.

« Last Edit: Feb 28, 2019, 04:44:07 PM by TheSailingRabbit »

TC
Sep 12, 2018, 09:44:19 AM
Reply #1 on: Sep 12, 2018, 09:44:19 AM
Q
Thanks, this was a.good read!

Possibly even better if I'd been able to get into the swing of things a bit earlier. When you pick up an Aliens/Colonial Marines story you expect a certain amount of grittiness and hard-hitting action, with a reasonable dose of "mature content." I was not expecting a Colonial Marines-Ewok mash up   :)

Most stories have some way of "positioning" the audience in advance. Maybe it's a movie's poster art, or the illustration on the book cover, or often just a carefully chosen title. Maybe a better title would have helped me?

My only other comment is that a story generally benefits from a strong-willed protagonist. Someone whose decisiveness helps shape the plot, rather than the plot occurring all around them and all they do is react. Drake seems to spend a lot of time being pushed around by others and being told off.

TC

TheSailingRabbit
Sep 12, 2018, 10:15:58 AM
Reply #2 on: Sep 12, 2018, 10:15:58 AM
Q
Thanks, this was a.good read!

Possibly even better if I'd been able to get into the swing of things a bit earlier. When you pick up an Aliens/Colonial Marines story you expect a certain amount of grittiness and hard-hitting action, with a reasonable dose of "mature content." I was not expecting a Colonial Marines-Ewok mash up   :)

Most stories have some way of "positioning" the audience in advance. Maybe it's a movie's poster art, or the illustration on the book cover, or often just a carefully chosen title. Maybe a better title would have helped me?

My only other comment is that a story generally benefits from a strong-willed protagonist. Someone whose decisiveness helps shape the plot, rather than the plot occurring all around them and all they do is react. Drake seems to spend a lot of time being pushed around by others and being told off.

TC

Thanks for taking the time to give this a shot.

I guess that's something I didn't consider at first when working on this (Drake not being an "active" protagonist). The story was more or less an attempt to throw something at a wall to see if it stuck. It could benefit from more details, added grittiness, and perhaps the creatures introduced could've been handled better. That all improves slightly as the series progresses, but I know that first story is supposed to hook people in.

TheSailingRabbit
Nov 15, 2018, 03:29:47 PM
Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2018, 03:29:47 PM
Q
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12882583/1/Silver-Flower

So, this is story number two. You might notice the plot appears to go in one direction and quickly swerves in another. Yeah, this was still a rather experimental phase. There was a point where I wanted to go in the Xenomorph direction, and chose not because one, it didn't make sense, and two, I like character drama more.

Facebook Twitter Instagram Steam RSS Feed