Alien 3 Assembly Cut

Started by bacchus, Aug 27, 2018, 02:20:21 AM

Author
Alien 3 Assembly Cut (Read 17,328 times)

bacchus

bacchus

Just watched the 'Assembly Cut' of Alien 3 for the first time. Have to say, it's a much better film with the extra scenes - much more depth added to more minor characters, and makes the movie much more atmospheric to watch. Those early, establishing shots of the beach, the external shots of the prison etc. I might be wrong but I felt there were quite a few scenes where a few extra lines of dialogue were added (mainly between Ripley and Clemens).

Alien 3 has always been my second favourite Alien movie (I know it is widely hated on here and elsewhere), but this 'Assembly Cut' version takes it to a greater level. Wish Alien 3 had more love!

SM

SM

It's not widely hated here.

And yes, many scenes were extended.  Clemens talk with Andrews in the latter's office is an example, as are both the mess hall scenes.

I don't agree that "much more depth added to more minor characters" however.

bacchus

bacchus

Quote from: SM on Aug 27, 2018, 02:24:40 AM
It's not widely hated here.

And yes, many scenes were extended.  Clemens talk with Andrews in the latter's office is an example, as are both the mess hall scenes.

I don't agree that "much more depth added to more minor characters" however.

I don't post here much but always thought A3 was almost universally disliked on here as part of the series, to the point where the suggestion that Blomkamp's Alien movie would retcon/dismiss A3 and A:R was met with support/praise?

Re depth for minor characters - we see a lot more of their personalities - the scene near the beginning where a few of the prisoners whilst moving the dead bull talking about what they would say to Ripley etc. One or two of those prisoners pretty much just get killed barely speaking a line in the theatrical version.

I enjoyed it much more than I expected to.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Do you realize what you've done?

bacchus

bacchus

Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 27, 2018, 02:40:46 AM

Umm.................................................

SM

SM

QuoteI don't post here much but always thought A3 was almost universally disliked on here as part of the series, to the point where the suggestion that Blomkamp's Alien movie would retcon/dismiss A3 and A:R was met with support/praise?

Many don't like it, but it's far from universally disliked.  I think the Blomkamp idea got more praise among casual fans.  A lot of people here thought it was a good idea, but again, it was far from universal.

QuoteRe depth for minor characters - we see a lot more of their personalities - the scene near the beginning where a few of the prisoners whilst moving the dead bull talking about what they would say to Ripley etc. One or two of those prisoners pretty much just get killed barely speaking a line in the theatrical version.

I'd argue that we don't get any actual depth.  We're given a pretty good idea how Ripley is viewed from the first rumour control scene and the fact she's sexually assaulted.  Some real depth would've been, for example, Frank expressing disgust at Murphy's leering, and lecturing him on being virtuous and their vow of celibacy.  Instead they behave much as you'd expect.  All that frontloaded character stuff would've been better left to characters that make it past the half way point.

Quote from: bacchus on Aug 27, 2018, 02:47:06 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 27, 2018, 02:40:46 AM

Umm.................................................

Don't mind him.  I'm always intrigued to hear why people rate the Alien 3 special edition, even if I generally don't.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: bacchus on Aug 27, 2018, 02:20:21 AM
Alien 3 has always been my second favourite Alien movie (I know it is widely hated on here and elsewhere), but this 'Assembly Cut' version takes it to a greater level. Wish Alien 3 had more love!

Your first time. I envy you.  ;D

Even the assembly cut catches flack, but there are those among us who do appreciate what it was at least trying to be.  Welcome to the fold.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

I've said this in other threads, but while as a whole I like the Assembly Cut quite a bit more than the theatrical cut, my ideal version of the movie would be a blend of the two - keep the TC's opening, dog host, and the Queen chestburster popping out of Ripley at the end, and keep the AC's extended scenes and pretty much everything else.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: Xenomrph on Aug 27, 2018, 08:54:40 AM
I've said this in other threads, but while as a whole I like the Assembly Cut quite a bit more than the theatrical cut, my ideal version of the movie would be a blend of the two - keep the TC's opening, dog host, and the Queen chestburster popping out of Ripley at the end, and keep the AC's extended scenes and pretty much everything else.
Surely somebody must have put that cut together, right?

In any case it would be the perfect cut. Alien 3 is among the greatest 3rd act of any trilogy. It took shit and made it golden-bronze.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

What would you do about the egg?

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

What egg!?

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 27, 2018, 08:58:00 AM

What would you do about the egg?
The one in the opening title? I'd leave it, it's there in both versions of the movie if I remember right.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Some was doing a cut of the opening without the egg on here if i remember right. It worked well. I'd use that lol

The Old One

The Old One

The A3AC just needs some fat trimmed, fixed compositing but the dream egg removed from the edit first and foremost.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

I used to prefer the orginal because I found the ending in the AC where Ripley falls into the furnace weirdly shot, but Leigh pointed out about some of the extra character development in that version and I ended up like it just as much if not more so, though I agree it needs some more work done to it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed