THE PREDATOR - Bigger, Better, Badder Featurette | AMC Theatres (2018)

Started by Tetsujin, Aug 23, 2018, 05:22:16 PM

Author
THE PREDATOR - Bigger, Better, Badder Featurette | AMC Theatres (2018) (Read 27,232 times)

SiL

QuoteBut the technical side of his film making is original, unforgiving and ruthless.
I don't know what you're trying to say but there's nothing original about the technical side of his filmmaking. It's all very plain and functional with no real style of its own, attempting to recall an older period of filmmaking. That's not original, and about the only thing he's ruthless on is using film stock over digital.

The power of his films is that audiences think themselves clever after watching them, even if the films aren't half as smart as they think they are.

ELDERCLANLEADER

Ok siL if you say so. So all those films critics and fans who love his work are all lying are they? Could you do better than him?
Seriously if it's not Disney sour faces are bashing, it's someone else. In this case Nolan. It's almost as if to people like you anything commercial is dirty.

PredBabe

I guess I'm one of those who overrated The Dark Knight, but I enjoyed the dark and serious tone in that film especially with th Joker. I love that opening bank robbing scene, to me that scene is untouchable. But I can see where people are coming from with saying that most of his movies don't have much rewatch value and agree with the lot of you on that.

That being said I'm against a "serious" Predator movie. "Why so serious?"  :P
Even the first Predator movie didn't take itself too seriously. It was just very grounded compared to the sequels and spinoffs that have followed.

This new movie seems to have a good balance and I think Shane was the perfect guy for the job (hopefully I still find myself saying this on September 13th). Just looking at the upgrade concept, that idea could have gone in a completely outlandish direction but it seems they have gone about the design and character of the creature in the best possible way. They've already convinced me that he is a better portrayed "super predator" than what Predators gave us anyway and I think the "super pred" concept fits well in the series.

SiL

Elderclanleader, you need to stop getting so offended that people disagree with you. I didn't bash him. I just didn't attribute qualities to him that aren't there. I like quite a lot of his films, appreciate the work he does to keep it practical, and that he credits his audience with some level of intelligence, which is more than can be said for most filmmakers.

But his films are often convoluted rather than complex and he puts far too much effort into his narrative structures and neglects his characters immensely. It's not that his films aren't emotional, it's that his characters are largely all the same suit wearing cut outs of each other. The most memorable characters in his films are basically those invented and cultured by other people for his Batman movies.

This is said by plenty of people and even often the people who like his films.

For my money he'd be a bad choice for Predator because I've of the most consistent criticisms of him is that he's not great at handling action scenes. They're usually considered the weakest scenes in his movies.

ELDERCLANLEADER

SiL I made one opinion and everyone jumped me for it. If I took it the wrong way I apologise. I'm a man of seriousness I suppose. I love films that are grounded in reality , that have weight. That doesn't mean they can't be fun. However I will stand up for something when I feel the critics are being overboard and in this case I feel some of you are. Nolan hasn't got to where he has got to by being mediocre.

The dark knight will be for years and years to come a classic. And it's Nolan's vision who is responsible for it. The same goes for interstellar, easily my favourite sci fi film of the last ten years, but I'd agree it isn't perfect.  SiL I will agree with you also that his movies do have flaws, especially when it comes to characters development. But I love his attention to realism and grit. It's something I feel many directors cannot capture in the same way he does.

Change of subject anyone seen "the revenant" if so remember that epic first piece where the natives come after glass and his men? I remember watching it thinking, imagine if the natives in the trees were replaced with predators. That's the sort of epic set piece action I'm talking about that I would love to see in a predator film.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: SiL on Aug 27, 2018, 10:33:35 AM
The power of his films is that audiences think themselves clever after watching them, even if the films aren't half as smart as they think they are.

I think it's absolutely true for Inception and Interstellar especially. The Dark Knight Rises too, a bit.

Quote from: SiL on Aug 27, 2018, 11:22:07 AM
For my money he'd be a bad choice for Predator because I've of the most consistent criticisms of him is that he's not great at handling action scenes. They're usually considered the weakest scenes in his movies.

Then again, i totally agree. Just rewatch The Dark Knight, a great movie, but some action sequences are meh.

Highland

Inception is kinda clever though. Just the concept of it with the music and the levels is a cut above your average stuff.

I mean very few movies are actually that complicated, more thought provoking i'd say, unless you go for something like Primer, which still really left me with the feeling of - was it really that clever, or did they just deliberately try to confuse me.  :D

The Old One

The Old One

Inception is just an inferior Paprika though.

Ripping off whole concepts and scenes.

huntin8-t0n

This movie looks better every bits and pieces they release about it.

I think it's much more important to finally see a good predator movie than one which meets every expectation we have about the creature. Those are mostly just concepts in our heads anyway..

When I first watched Predator with people that weren't into/haven't heard about this universe at all, I could talk about it, make ideas together. They were interested by what they've seen. Not only because of the creature itself was good, but because the movie was too.

One doesn't want to talk about something that was utterly boring. And to be frank, as much as I like this place, I'm interested in the opinion of the people who are not that familiar with the franchise. Because they have a fresh look at things. I hope this movie will bring that.

Huggs

Quote from: SiL on Aug 27, 2018, 10:33:35 AM

Back in college, a friend of mine used to think he was just the coolest guy around simply because he could understand a Nolan film. I'm dead serious, he acted like he discovered some holy grail of cinema perfection that nobody else knew about or could ever possibly understand. God that was annoying. I'm not implying anyone here is like that, nor that all Nolan fans are that way, but that guy sure was. True story.

Highland

Quote from: The Old One on Aug 27, 2018, 03:31:50 PM

Never saw it. Still I liked Inception.

Danversity

I really like Paprika, but tbh I like Inception better, and I'm an anime freak. I think Perfect Blue is superior to Paprika.

skull-splitter

Quote from: Highland on Aug 28, 2018, 02:19:23 AM
Quote from: The Old One on Aug 27, 2018, 03:31:50 PM

Never saw it. Still I liked Inception.
As a fan of Inception, I saw Paprika and liked it immensely. It's a totally different take on the same concept of being able to influence one through dreams, but Inception was a very technically perfect experience.

tr00don

The only problem I've always had with the 'predator' characters is this: They look like intelligent creatures; why do they have to bellow like dinosaurs most of the time?

BigDaddyJohn

Don't we bellow sometimes in our every day life ? I have some specific moments in mind ahem...  ;D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed