The future of the Alien vs. Predator franchise

Started by The Cruentus, Aug 20, 2018, 08:14:45 PM

Do you think they should make another AVP film?

Yes, continuing from the previous films.
Yes, but disregarding the previous AVP films (New continuity)
No, they should be kept seperate.
No, the  AVP movies messed up the franchise.
Not sure/maybe.
Author
The future of the Alien vs. Predator franchise (Read 23,183 times)

SM

They can insist all they like.

Sometimes it's better to not be definitive about these things.  It stimulates discussion.

The Cruentus

True enough but such discussions about continuity and canonicity usually ends up heated. Best to avoid that personally,  but I suppose that is the risk and nature of forums.

SM

True, but any discussion can get heated when people are passionate about something.  Back when I was working on WYR, I had a lot of emails back and forth with the editor and Insight, discussing finer points of info and one concerned the intelligence of the Queen.  I thought it'd been churched up a little too much, and I don't remember what the final outcome was, but he said that sometimes it's better to not be too definite because it can stifle discussion.  And it was the nature of WYR, that we didn't have to be definite.

It was a bit of an eye opener for me, but he was completely correct.  This was licensed material for fans, and fans all have different ideas about stuff and sometimes you don't want to kill those ideas.

The Cruentus

I actually noticed that in the tidbits of the WYR that I saw online, a lot of the information is basically regarded as theories of the staff and "ancedotal evidence", making some of it to be left open for further information.

Mr.Turok

Honestly I never saw the appeal of starting anew and far away from the previous AVP movies. Granted I am aware they have their problems like poor writing or too dark to actually see anything. For me, I see the movies through the lense of lore wise and nothing in the movies contradicted established lore that would cause me to hiss and throw it away. Some people didn't like the Predalien's ability to reproduce but its been stated its how young queens establish a hive quickly, not a Predalien trait only. Plus it adds to the whole parasitic horror of violating the human body via dumping a bunch of bursters into a woman's belly as it eats the growing child.

Its not like for me with the Assassin's Creed lore for example where the newest game coming out is whoring away 10 years of established lore just to follow trendy RPG style by throwing in mythical monsters, swords with fire powers and f**king over the whole concept with genetic memory when the whole thing started as a historical fiction with a good side helping of science fiction, not this fantasy bullshit. If the DNA is so corrupt that we can't tell the gender of the character then its corrupt enough for it to not be readable for reviving at all, its why we can't even clone dinosaurs for f**k sake.

Seriously I am knee deep in both pools of the AVP and AC series and we have it good here compared to my comrades over in the Ubi Pit, its not completely f**ked yet.

SM

It's been suggested it was a PredAlien (may its name be forever cursed) trait taken from Predator reproduction.

The Old One

The Old One

The AVP films haven't been canon since 2012, & nor their concepts.

SiL

Quote from: SM on Sep 05, 2018, 01:48:09 AM
It's been suggested it was a PredAlien (may its name be forever cursed) trait taken from Predator reproduction.
Or that it's what juvie Queens do.

Or that "It's something you've never seen before so you should like it" (thanks, Crom!)

SM

Or that "It's something I'd never seen before and when I did see it I wish I'd never seen it".

Huggs

Ah, the Predalien. Loved the idea, not so much the final look. As for that rapid impregnation thing, don't knock the guy just because he can deliver on demand.  ;)

The Cruentus

Quote from: Mr.Turok on Sep 05, 2018, 01:28:14 AM
Honestly I never saw the appeal of starting anew and far away from the previous AVP movies. Granted I am aware they have their problems like poor writing or too dark to actually see anything. For me, I see the movies through the lense of lore wise and nothing in the movies contradicted established lore that would cause me to hiss and throw it away. Some people didn't like the Predalien's ability to reproduce but its been stated its how young queens establish a hive quickly, not a Predalien trait only. Plus it adds to the whole parasitic horror of violating the human body via dumping a bunch of bursters into a woman's belly as it eats the growing child.

I know it is supposed to be something young queens do but that new concept was just bogus, plus it made huggers and even eggs borderline pointless since they can deposit what? 4 to 5 embryos into a host. Another thing that doesn't make sense since Aliens take traits from the host, there is no way those five embryos are going to use that dna reflex from the stomach, the whole reason they gain traits is because that grown from the host body, which wouldn't happen if actual embryos where inserted into the host.

Quote from: SM on Sep 05, 2018, 05:06:15 AM
Or that "It's something I'd never seen before and when I did see it I wish I'd never seen it".

https://mygeekblasphemy.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/samneil7.jpg

You don't need eyes to see.

Mr.Turok

Quote from: The Cruentus on Sep 05, 2018, 09:31:20 AM

I know it is supposed to be something young queens do but that new concept was just bogus, plus it made huggers and even eggs borderline pointless since they can deposit what? 4 to 5 embryos into a host. Another thing that doesn't make sense since Aliens take traits from the host, there is no way those five embryos are going to use that dna reflex from the stomach, the whole reason they gain traits is because that grown from the host body, which wouldn't happen if actual embryos where inserted into the host.

From what I constructed, the young queens are the right size to do mouth to mouth impregnation. When fully matured, not only is she too big to do the process but the hive's numbers have swelled in numbers by that point already so adaptation kicks in for her to lay eggs instead her smaller minions can just bring all the hosts to her now.

As for the DNA Reflex, I figured for the same manner that the backbursters and chestburster all go by, as it goes in the wiki: 

Quotethat no actual embryo is inserted into the host. Instead, the infant Xenomorph begins its life as a knot of specifically tailored cancers that bring about chemogenetic restructuring of the host's cells, essentially "building" the Chestburster from the host's own biological material at a cellular level.

A human baby in there is just more DNA/Food for it as I recall in the behind the scenes extra of AVPR.

Quote from: SM on Sep 05, 2018, 05:06:15 AM

https://mygeekblasphemy.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/samneil7.jpg

Wonder what would happen if you threw a xenomorph in there, into the portal, like will it go mad or stay the same?

The Old One

The Old One

Don't defend AVPR.

BTW I don't know any AC fanatics that care about the storyline after what happened to Desmond Miles or Ezio.
Most are genuinely refreshed and interested in the changes of Origins and Odyssey.
Bring on the monsters, f**k the Animus.

SM

Wonder what would happen if you threw a xenomorph in there, into the portal, like will it go mad or stay the same?

The holes in the skull would be sealed up.  :)

The Cruentus

Quote from: Mr.Turok on Sep 05, 2018, 07:26:44 PM
As for the DNA Reflex, I figured for the same manner that the backbursters and chestburster all go by, as it goes in the wiki: 

Quotethat no actual embryo is inserted into the host. Instead, the infant Xenomorph begins its life as a knot of specifically tailored cancers that bring about chemogenetic restructuring of the host's cells, essentially "building" the Chestburster from the host's own biological material at a cellular level.

A human baby in there is just more DNA/Food for it as I recall in the behind the scenes extra of AVPR.

Except we clearly see the Predalien depositing something physically solid and big in the host, an embryo and it is going into their stomach, a place where they can't feed and grow in the host via an umbilical.

Both the chestbursters and backbursters are grown from the body, they have umbilical cords and even an amniotic sac in the case of chestbursters.

Quote from: The Old One on Sep 05, 2018, 07:34:44 PM
Don't defend AVPR.

He does have a right too if he wants to but regardless, it is an event that I would not like to see continued in any form, salvage some concepts and weapons if need be but keep the damn events of movie and silly new lore away from a new AVP film.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed