Space-Trucking Women - writing contest!

Started by FenGiddel, Aug 11, 2018, 08:41:29 PM

Author
Space-Trucking Women - writing contest! (Read 3,208 times)

The Old One

The Old One

Oh I'm aware, it's just with Arnold Schwarzenegger in the lead role I can't find the ground to take it 100% seriously, as I can easily do with Alien.

Xenomrph

Quote from: The Old One on Aug 18, 2018, 01:53:41 PM
Oh I'm aware, it's just with Arnold Schwarzenegger in the lead role I can't find the ground to take it 100% seriously, as I can easily do with Alien.
Arnold is capable of quality (and occasionally self-aware) roles. 'The Last Action Hero' is freaking great, and I don't think he'll ever top her performance in T2.

Wysps

Quote from: The Old One on Aug 16, 2018, 07:15:12 PM
I just have no interest writing an established character.

Same. Also, I'm terrible at writing  :-\

Russ

The Weyland Yutani Bulletin Facebook group is run be a lady, I think. While the demographic is overwhelmingly male, I'm sure there are a few female commentators on there - I'm happy to post the link to the competition (if you've not already done so - I just had a look and couldn't see one)

Corporal Hicks

It's run by a fella but they have at least one woman on staff.

FenGiddel

FenGiddel

Hi, Russ! That is very kind of you to offer, but thank you anyway. I did not post there as I am not a member of the group.

I followed the link to your site; my, aren't you the prolific one? Cool, how you channeled your love for history into that!

Russ

Sure, but I am can ask to post it there for you. No worries if you have enough entries, though :-)

Thanks so much - used to write books but haven't done for a while, I'm working on some screenplays at the moment, so we'll see how that goes.

Slowly, if the evidence to date is anything to go by *lol*

FenGiddel

Quote from: Russ on Aug 24, 2018, 08:47:26 AM
Sure, but I am can ask to post it there for you. No worries if you have enough entries, though :-)

Thanks so much - used to write books but haven't done for a while, I'm working on some screenplays at the moment, so we'll see how that goes.

Slowly, if the evidence to date is anything to go by *lol*
Awesome! I've been trying to break into the screenplay format for a couple of years, but I cannot seem to grasp the mode. I have tried taking a short story I wrote and breaking it down, but I ended up with a treatment style instead. Screenplay writing is, to me, to art of bare-bones storytelling within a very rigid framework. I'm just too wordy... :)  Good luck with it!

Russ

If you want to know how to write a screenplay, the best book by far is "Save the cat" by Blake Snyder - it is a brilliant "how-to" guide.

TC

TC

This is the age of the internet. Just go to YouTube and do a search with the keyword "screenplay" instead :laugh:

Hint: Or just look for a YT channel called "Film Courage."

TC

SiL

Quote from: Russ on Sep 03, 2018, 09:03:58 AM
If you want to know how to write a screenplay, the best book by far is "Save the cat" by Blake Snyder - it is a brilliant "how-to" guide.
It is a cancer on scriptwriting. A cancer!

But it is so f**king helpful for getting out of a tight spot.

Russ

Quote from: SiL on Sep 03, 2018, 09:44:58 AM

I dunno, man. Coming from writing novels where you have a lot more lawn to play on, I loved it. For me it was just so clear - and fun to read.

As an aside, if you've not read this, I highly recommend. It's less of a "How to" (there's one chapter on structure) and more about the movie industry in Hollywood - and its really funny.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Writing-Movies-Fun-Profit-Billion-ebook/dp/B0058N7SSQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1535980267&sr=1-1

Xenomrph

Quote from: Russ on Sep 03, 2018, 01:13:01 PM
Quote from: SiL on Sep 03, 2018, 09:44:58 AM

I dunno, man. Coming from writing novels where you have a lot more lawn to play on, I loved it. For me it was just so clear - and fun to read.

As an aside, if you've not read this, I highly recommend. It's less of a "How to" (there's one chapter on structure) and more about the movie industry in Hollywood - and its really funny.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Writing-Movies-Fun-Profit-Billion-ebook/dp/B0058N7SSQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1535980267&sr=1-1

Goddamnit, I've got a trillion other unread books on my bookshelf and my Kindle and here you go linking something like this. Goddamnit.

Russ

I'm sorry. I do feel your pain... I have the same issue *lol*

TC

TC

Quote from: Russ on Sep 03, 2018, 09:03:58 AM

Have you seen this? (Blake Snyder "beat sheet" template mapped to Aliens)

TC

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed