Box Office Takings for The Predator

Started by Tetsujin, Jul 20, 2018, 05:00:59 PM

Author
Box Office Takings for The Predator (Read 82,717 times)

Voodoo Magic

And I enjoyed it too.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Oct 14, 2018, 04:52:30 PM
Here is my bet.  If the next Predator film brought back Arnold Schwarzenegger in a starring role it would be a hit.  If the next Aliens film brought back Sigourney Weaver and the surviving stars from Aliens and continued where that movie left off, it would be a hit.  Other wise, every film skirts around the recipe yet does not quite deliver.

Quote from: The Old One on Oct 14, 2018, 05:03:30 PM
Alan Dutch Schaefer returning as a mentor/leader or even antagonist still could work though.

While I enjoy the action-comedy of The Predator, I didn't really enjoy the Predator lore aspect of the film - primarily because it didn't really know what it wanted to do in the end. I do agree that being Arnie back as some sort of mentor role would be a massive draw. Problem is all his returns in Terminator haven't exactly been a huge draw (as far as I'm aware). I think any future film is going to be have an up-hill battle. If we get another one.

Johnny Handsome

The thing is this, the Predator as a character only gets the fanboys into the seats, while this movie was largely ignored by the general public. They should get an action star, someone with a bit of presence.

Boyd who? Yeah. Alien Covenant at least had Fassbender, that helped a bit. Ever since AvP they rely on the Predator only and i think that's a mistake.

Get someone like Gerard Butler, Statham etc., they do small action movies (40 - 60 million) and each one is a success. The Rock is too expensive by now, but damn it woul be cool to get someone like this in a leading role.

I didnt care for The Meg at first, but when i saw that they cast Statham i was curious, as were others, as that movie made a shitload of cash... and my god, it was fun, but also really dumb, people don't care about quality and/or reviews if they are curious.

The Old One

The Old One

Shane Black isn't Ridley Scott either.

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: The Old One on Oct 15, 2018, 11:36:26 AM
I hadn't heard about the Russo brothers, Colin Trevorrow... yet their movies made 4 billion. I don't think directors are a selling point in todays cinema, it's the brand and the stars.

On a sidenote: Shane Black made more with Iron Man 3 than Ridleys past 5 movies combined... so, there goes that.

The Old One

The Old One

Then Predator is finished.

No stars.
Or creatives.

BigDaddyJohn

I agree, the Alien franchise is more encline to attract stars than the predator franchise, by a mile.

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: The Old One on Oct 15, 2018, 12:27:02 PM
Then Predator is f**ked.

(Because it hasn't the brand to attract stars.)
Or creatives.
Not really, if they do another movie in the vein of Predators it's all fine and dandy. 3 times the budget plus another 30 - 40 million in DVD sales... and that had an Oscar winning actor in it's lead.

It just means we won't get another 90 million Predator movie, which is fine by me.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: The Old One on Oct 15, 2018, 11:36:26 AM

If I take Ridley's body of work out of it and I just looked at "Alien Covenant", than I would say yes. Yes, Shane Black is Ridley Scott.  :P

QuoteThen Predator is finished

I didn't realize that. Thanks for letting us know. No reason to be here now. I'll delete my account.  ::)

Johnny Handsome

People said that after AvP-R, and in fact, the franchise came back stronger than both AvP's, with not only an oscar winning actor but also a great producer and a bunch of talented people behind and in front of the camera.

I'm relaxed, it's always the same when a movie comes out and it's getting pretty boring though.

In a couple of years, the next movie will be announced, people eat their words... been there, done that.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Oct 15, 2018, 08:34:23 AM
Get someone like Gerard Butler, Statham etc., they do small action movies (40 - 60 million) and each one is a success.

I LOVE this idea. Especially Gerald Butler!

That has always been blatantly obvious to me. Give us a memorable hero with on-screen presence in a Predator movie! Arnold had that charisma. He had that gravitas. Even Danny Glover had it. But when villians like Laurence Fishburne and Sterling K. Brown are outshining your 'charactor actor' heroes on screen played by Adrien Brody and Boyd Holbrook (which both lack natural lead charisma), you've casted your hero incorrectly!

TheBATMAN

Gerald Butler, haha.

Good one.

Voodoo Magic

Yeah after "Gods of Egypt" and "Geostorm", how would he ever stoop to the level of Predator?  ::)

Samhain13

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Oct 15, 2018, 01:40:56 PM
People said that after AvP-R,

I get that AVPR failed in regards to its reception to both critics and the fanbase, but it did 3 times its budget despite being rated R. So Fox got what they wanted out of it.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Oct 15, 2018, 01:32:47 PM
QuoteThen Predator is finished

I didn't realize that. Thanks for letting us know. No reason to be here now. I'll delete my account.  ::)

Childish response. I was making the point that if the franchise can't acquire stars-
and Directors don't matter as Johnny Handsome claims (Which is B.S) then the franchise is effectively done.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed