Box Office Takings for The Predator

Started by Tetsujin, Jul 20, 2018, 05:00:59 PM

Author
Box Office Takings for The Predator (Read 82,417 times)

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: The Old One on Sep 25, 2018, 06:36:42 PM
Controversial opinion;

I prefer Blade Runner 2049 over James Cameron's Aliens .

They're two different flavors of sci-fi.

Aliens is like a bacon cheeseburger with a large drink and fries. The Blade Runner movies are like dining at a nice restaurant. A meal of solid food, with a proper desert. I find the older I get, the more I'm gravitating towards the latter type of film.

Aliens holds a special place in my heart, and it always will, but it's not aging well with me. Conversely, the entertainment I derive from Alien and Alien 3 keeps increasing. I like them more and more, everytime I see them.

Nathsp

Nathsp

I prefer the bug aproach, i prefer something reslistic.. Cameron put a lot of efford expanding, in the concepts..
Blade runner 2049 is the same, with better cgi and less soul (for me).. I highly doubt anyone thinks its superior than the original while many people prefer aliens over alien (i prefer it, alien queen is a design i love)
And i dont buy the chessburger example, aliens is a war sci fi film, its just a different genere not quality.

The Old One

The Old One

I know a significant number that prefer Blade Runner 2049 over the original, I myself do not.

Alien I believe is incomparable to it's sequels, the original is the masterpiece.

Still Collating...

BR 2049 is close to a masterpiece for me at least. There's so much I adore in that movie. Too bad it wasn't successful but it gave me great respect for the director and writers.

And IMO Alien and Aliens are equal to me but they both have completely different merits. 

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Still Collating... on Sep 25, 2018, 08:10:20 PM
BR 2049 is close to a masterpiece for me at least.

It's a good one for sure. It's as close as we're going to get to the original. In a time when the magic of those older films seems to be long gone, there came 2049. It felt like a movie that would've been made back then. A time capsule of good film-making. If we could just get the same treatment for the Alien and Predator franchises, we'll be getting somewhere.

Game_Over_Man

I finally got to see The Predator last night, my thoughts? No way near as bad as the final batch of reviews were claiming. I think the Empire mag review is probably the fairest (quite unlike them tbh) - yes, it's occasionally messy and often looks like there was a better film underneath the (possibly unnecessary) reshoots.

The whole thing reminded me of an 80's / 90's Blockbuster video rental - something that didn't make it to theatres but you'd pick off the shelf to keep you amused on a Tuesday afternoon (remember the Barbarian Brothers? Maniac Cop?). The main difference being The Predator clearly had some money thrown at it.

Couple of questions; What happened to the Bulldog (last seen dashing to the little boy) and what happened to the Predator dog? I know, "who cares?" But they're examples of niggling things that were never tied up that undermine the films narrative. I'm surprised that Shane Black, with all of his experience, allowed the release of this messy edit. Maybe he didn't, maybe the producer's took over.

Shout outs to the cast; they were fantastic, but evidently struggling with the volume of material. I would have lost a couple of the characters to allow Sterling K. Brown etc to breathe.

6/10 for me - not horrendous, but not a patch on the classic either...I doubt we'll ever see the sequel the final scene promises (that was pure 80's btw!)

felix

felix

Worldwide total currently at $100,997,382.

skull-splitter

Quote from: felix on Sep 26, 2018, 09:54:37 PM
Worldwide total currently at $100,997,382.
Not bad, considered I have seen little marketing here in the Netherlands besides in the cinema, nothing on TV or radio, nor online through ads.

Even more so because of the very mixed reviews it gets...

Johnny Handsome

Not bad at all, it has the chance to at least surpass Predators worldwide. It's just that this and Alien Covenant were way too expensive. They should/could do more movies, but on a smaller scale again, which i would be fine with.

I don't think they will continue with this storyline, but there are so much storys and possibilities, i would love to see something during world war 2, where different nationalities have to work together to survive, it would so fit the "heat and conflict" aspect as well.

Samhain13

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Sep 27, 2018, 06:19:05 AM
It's just that this and Alien Covenant were way too expensive.

Prometheus was more expensive and did better. Don't remember if it was R-rated, could have been that or maybe not having ALIEN in the title helped it somehow.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Samhain13 on Sep 27, 2018, 07:00:05 PM
Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Sep 27, 2018, 06:19:05 AM
It's just that this and Alien Covenant were way too expensive.

Prometheus was more expensive and did better. Don't remember if it was R-rated, could have been that or maybe not having ALIEN in the title helped it somehow.

Don't forget the trailer for Prometheus was amazing. Lots of buzz surrounding that trailer.

Kailem

Kailem

Plus it was an "event" what with Ridley Scott returning to the Alien franchise for the first time, as as well marking the first time he'd made another sci-fi movie since Blade Runner. The Predator never had anywhere near as much hype behind it.

The Old One

The Old One

So, market an Alien film on the subtitle alone and the creatives behind it.
With an excellent trailer (No Alien Appearance)

Done.

Engineer

Shane Black returning to predator, as the director this time, did have a similar appeal to it as Ridley Scott returning to alien did...

BishopShouldGo

Maybe the only way left to do this is to bring Arnold back and team him up with a formidable A-list star. Which is what I thought The Predator was going to do when first announced in 2014.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed