Box Office Takings for The Predator

Started by Tetsujin, Jul 20, 2018, 05:00:59 PM

Author
Box Office Takings for The Predator (Read 83,298 times)

JCDenton

Quote from: zackpred12 on Sep 18, 2018, 11:35:55 AM
Is it just me, or is everyone else curious as to why Black hasn't said a word since the movie's release.  I would imagine that it's due to the scandal and poor response. I mean is he running away from it?  Or is it normal for a director to keep his/her mouth shut for a brief period after their films debut?

What could he say ? If there was a studio interference he would keep quiet- rule number one in order to stay in Hollywood - anybody ask Josh Trank if you could find him from his slumber shelter what happens when you openly confront the studio.

Secondly - i think he is too tired and no longer gives a shit anyway - many fans complaining, having to also agree with the test audiences and other craps and let`s not forget the reshoots. Nobody can convince me that this was just because of the daytime/nighttime shift

Third - i think he also knows he is to blame with Dekker for not creating more solid script for the movie in first place

In short - he is right to keep quiet until he  has something to say after the shitstorm

Johnny Handsome

Johnny Handsome

Is it just me, or is everyone else curious as to why Black hasn't said a word since the movie's release.  I would imagine that it's due to the scandal and poor response. I mean is he running away from it?  Or is it normal for a director to keep his/her mouth shut for a brief period after their films debut?
He just invested 3 years of his time making the movie, working his ass off, had multiple reshoots and rewrites, a me-too/sex controversy in between just before the press played the 'who could be the biggest asshole' game with the movie and now it's bombing... maybe there is not much to say at the moment?

Watched it again last night, my opinion still stands, it's not a perfect movie but one i'll still have fun with in the years to come and certainly better and much more entertaining than the crap that's doing really great at the box-office over the years.

No one can tell me that Olivia didn't influence this, even Mojo got their forecast way up because the movie really got marketed well, the the controversy started and there were hundreds of people saying "i don't watch the movie because of this". Now to be honest, with the critics and stuff i don't think this movie would have gone through the roof, but a 30 million plus opening was very likely if Munn didn't come out a day before the f**king premiere of the movie.

whiterabbit

There's no point to suing Munn and it didn't even have an effect on ticket sales.

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: whiterabbit on Sep 18, 2018, 01:05:14 PM
There's no point to suing Munn and it didn't even have an effect on ticket sales.
Don't be naive, it did, and boy did it have an effect.

Go to twitter, or any other social media site, type in #thepredator and you'll get hundreds of posts about the controversy and just as much people stating openly that they won't go see the movie now although they planned to.

It did hurt the movie, not by an astronomical amount, but a couple of millions. But... people got sued for a lot less in the past.

Russ840

I would agree that the negative press around said issue has had an effect on tickets sales. Not sure I agree with suing Munn though.

zackpred12

My whole thing is, is that Munn stated in an interview that she did all of this in part due to the fact that she didn't want the victim to be reminded of the events that took place with that actor.  However, if she was really so righteous,  she wouldn't have done a single interview with the press.  I feel as though she is kind of selfish in the aspect of the victim.  I believe that she obviously did in fact disagree with the scene shot, but is looking at this situation as her chance to be in the spotlight.  She's quite ardent if you ask me.  But yea, I guess if I were Shane Black, I would probably take a hiatus too.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Shame? Well after this mess of a movie he should be. Better for him to just move on. Like Paul Anderson and the Strauses did. The franchise will be better without him and he will be better without it.

Huggs

Huggs

I was reading on Wikipedia about how this was supposed to set up two sequels that Shane would be directing. I just don't see that happening.

Does anyone else think he'll ever work (or be allowed to work) on these movies again? Or that this particular storyline is even going to continue?

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: Huggs on Sep 18, 2018, 03:44:48 PM
Does anyone else think he'll ever work (or be allowed to work) on these movies again? Or that this particular storyline is even going to continue?

Probably no and I hope so. Seems as likely as that AVP3 on space the Strause Brothers wanted to make, they threw Yutani at the end hoping it would lead to a sequel.

Not only because of the below average reception, probable below expectations box office and Munn thing but didn't Shane said he didn't want to make another big studio movie like this again? I think someone posted a comment from him on social media saying that. Maybe it was Hicks. I remember reading people saying how tired he was with the movie and wanted now to only do his own things.

Serpico Jones

Quote from: zackpred12 on Sep 18, 2018, 03:32:32 PM
My whole thing is, is that Munn stated in an interview that she did all of this in part due to the fact that she didn't want the victim to be reminded of the events that took place with that actor.  However, if she was really so righteous,  she wouldn't have done a single interview with the press.  I feel as though she is kind of selfish in the aspect of the victim.  I believe that she obviously did in fact disagree with the scene shot, but is looking at this situation as her chance to be in the spotlight.  She's quite ardent if you ask me.  But yea, I guess if I were Shane Black, I would probably take a hiatus too.
This is going to end up affecting Munn's career as much as it'll affect Black, imo. She apparently angered the studio which is something you can't do in Hollywood.

Kailem

Kailem

I was reading on Wikipedia about how this was supposed to set up two sequels that Shane would be directing. I just don't see that happening.

If Predators didn't do well enough for them to move forward with the sequel ideas Robert Rodriguez had for that I can't see any way they'd go forward with sequels to this now either, and honestly that's probably for the best. The quicker they sweep the whole "Predator Killer" thing under the rug, the better.

Serpico Jones

The movie flopped so it won't get a sequel. Shane Black is going to have to rebuild his career after this with a smaller movie.

MudButt

Based off of the controversy he definitely won't be allowed to work on a large budget movie with Fox anytime soon. Another studio might pick him up, but Fox won't give him another big movie like this.

Also, based off of his comments about the experience and the stories that have been out there it doesn't even seem like he really enjoyed his experience making the movie. If we get a sequel I would be shocked if Black returns.

andreaNZ

If its gonna be a war between us and Predators..I def wont be going to watch the next one either. the Predator killer..please.

Dark Angel

Dark Angel

Sadly, I must say the movie was a disaster. I really did not like it. The best movies were the first 2. Predators was regular. I am not considering AVP movies because they belong to a crossover series.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed