Beautiful People: is AVP becoming too Hollywood?

Started by The Unknown, Sep 22, 2007, 09:26:55 PM

Author
Beautiful People: is AVP becoming too Hollywood? (Read 4,016 times)

gameoverman

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Sep 23, 2007, 12:06:39 AM
Quote from: Brightside on Sep 22, 2007, 10:45:12 PM
I felt Starship Troopers had the lamest, most annoying, two-dimentional, immature, obnoxious characters. I wanted them to die a horrible death. That's not what I felt for the Nostromo crew or the marines. Real life Ken and Barbie dolls is not what I like to see in science-fiction movies, especially the ones which are supposed to be horror.

Yeah... It had neither the most realistic characters or story. The director kept trying to make it into a satire and failed in a miserable way because of that.

If we were really 'at war' with those things, all they had to do was bomb whatever planets they were on. It wasn't as if they had spaceships.

Interestingly, the film has very little in common with the book because the initial draft was meant to be an original story.

If they had done a straight adaptation of the book, it could have been very interesting. It's virtually all about a boot camp of the future and the philosophy of a society psychologically geared towards a constant war footing. It neither says it's good or bad, but basically says that world kept doing it because it worked for them.

Showing beautiful people is not a bad thing. Populating an entire film with nothing but them, though, does tend to make the result look weird.

But the beautiful people was part of the satire in Starship Troopers.  It was partly a sendup of old 1940s propaganda films.  It was meant to cheesy and unrealistic.

Anyway, this thread has a good point.  Ugly people are more interesting.  Even in AVP, we got two great character actors - Lance Henrikson and the guy from Trainspotting.  In AVPR - not so much.  Just regular pretty boys/girls.

I think in terms of acting and realism, the cast of Alien was the best.

Porkus Maximus

I always thought Ripley was fairley do-able in Alien, especailly at the end in the shuttle.  :o

I understand where the OP is coming from, I'm getting tired of seeing hollywood casting attractive people as the geeks, losers etc. etc.   However if you're gonna see a "plain" character, it's more likely to be a man than a woman.

The Chibi Kiriyama

Steven Pasquale looks like he could pull off the tough guy role, though given who he's playing that's a dead giveaway. Reiko Alyesworth could, but the motherly role sort of dulls that point...or could sharpen it, depending on how they approach that.

Alienseseses

I don't think the Strauses had the authority to choose the actors. Probably some studio exec.

Snowfox

These guys direct music videos so at least they know how to deal with pretty faces who don't have an ounce of acting ability.

The Chibi Kiriyama

There's a difference. Those pretty faces open up their mouths, strike a few notes, and make millions. TV actors wouldn't be TV actors if they could do the same.

Alienseseses

AVPLR: Alien vs. Predator vs. Logan's Run

SiL

Those pretty faces don't have to act, either.

I recently saw Reiko Ayelsworth in The Killing Floor, and while she was quite good (And damned sexy lying naked in a bed), she wasn't anything to write home about.

That Yellow Alien

Dusk

Dusk

Quote from: Yellow Alien on Sep 23, 2007, 12:04:45 AM
No, we just don't want people who look amazingly good looking. They don't look like regular people. Ripley, Dallas, Parker, they looked like regular people.

You know, good looking people are people too. It's not like they only exist in a magical kingdom. Ever been to school? Don't tell me you never saw any amazingly hot chicks. And guess what, they're just regular people too.

Snowfox

People with 20 pounds of spray paint and make-up on.

Dusk

There are those, and there are others that still look hot without it.

SiL

But are they the norm?

No.

That Yellow Alien

Just imagine a big ol fat chick getting impaled on the wall instead of the hot chick. :D

gameoverman

Quote from: SiL on Sep 23, 2007, 08:12:28 AM
But are they the norm?

No.

I don't know about that.  There are a lot of attractive people out there.  I think it's harder to find, not ugly, but people who have more distinctive features.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed