Empire The Predator Subscriber Exclusive Cover

Started by Tetsujin, Jul 06, 2018, 10:39:16 AM

Author
Empire The Predator Subscriber Exclusive Cover (Read 54,002 times)

Huggs

Quote from: DarthWall275 on Jul 10, 2018, 06:36:20 PM
Couldn't help but facepalm at Olivia Munn calling it a "microaggression" that somebody wonders why a *biologist* knows how to use a gun.

Aside from being a trite "feminist" buzzword, it's a completely false accusation typical of SJW logic.
Every other character in the movie sans the kid has a military background and training, minus Casey, and it's immediately apparent the only reason they're doing this is they falsely associate "strong female character" with an ability to fight, even when it makes no damned sense given the character's background.

Oh my lord. Well, this movie is set in America. And we already saw Tennessee mentioned in the trailer. The types of people that own guns and are proficient in their use is infinite. I personally have known,

UPS drivers, USPS personnel, cashiers, fast food workers, college professors, doctors, preachers, city employees, politicians, soccer moms, Musicians, Lawyers, Factory workers, Misc. Hospital staff (including management and especially nursing), small business owners, cops, firemen, veterans, bikers, florists, coke and pepsi employees, janitors. High School graduates. College graduates. and yes, even highly intelligent and accomplished people within the sciences.

To deem it unlikely that a modern female american biologist shouldn't know her way around a firearm is not in keeping with modern society. I don't remember any stink being raised when the Bourne Legacy had a female scientist who owned an 8 shot 357 magnum revolver. Scandium alloy or not, it was still a formidable weapon, especially (you'd think) for a female. But I know a lot of American females that would have no problem shooting such a firearms. And, quite frankly, I think it's sexy as hell. There's nothing wrong with a capable woman, regardless of her occupation.

Wysps

Idk about the whole "microaggression" comment, but coming from the South, I also don't see the issue with a woman knowing how to use a firearm with a science/humanities/art/etc. background  :-\

BigDaddyJohn

I believe the point of this post was the use of the word "microagression", which can be excessive if it's about someone that stated his opinion politely... If it was stated in a rude way, well that would just be rude and stupid yes... No need to use fancy words that are trendy though, that's all  ;)

Huggs

Quote from: Wysps on Jul 10, 2018, 08:27:57 PM
Idk about the whole "microaggression" comment, but coming from the South, I also don't see the issue with a woman knowing how to use a firearm with a science/humanities/art/etc. background  :-\

Southern boys aren't intimidated by strong women. We prefer em'.  ;)

An attractive female biologist that can handle herself and run a gun. Get sum!

Original Predator

At this point "microagression" is seeming to translate into

"find something small and insignificant and be aggressive about it, by saying it's an issue, even tho it's not"

Seriously does anyone have an "issue" with a strong female character?  Fanbases across movie genre's all over the world have no qualms. 

Maybe Olivia needs to stop using the industry standard, rhetoric and culture that she's a part of and using it as a blanket to speak for movie fanbases. 

She's working for the "culture" she despises. Go figure.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: Original Predator on Jul 10, 2018, 08:36:54 PM
At this point "microaggression" is seeming to translate into

"find something small and insignificant and be aggressive about it, by saying it's an issue, even tho it's not"

Like getting wound up over someone using the term "microaggression" huh?

Wysps

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Jul 10, 2018, 08:29:08 PM
I believe the point of this post was the use of the word "microagression", which can be excessive if it's about someone that stated his opinion politely... If it was stated in a rude way, well that would just be rude and stupid yes... No need to use fancy words that are trendy though, that's all  ;)

Yeah, it's kind of a strong word for some - I mean, I can see how someone would question the idea of a character doing lab work or university work with all this combat knowledge. It's reasonable to question that, imo. But regardless, it's still fine for a women to know how to four wheel, hunt, and shoot. At least that's been my experience from this particular area lol  :laugh:

Seriously does anyone have an "issue" with a strong female character?  Fanbases across movie genre's all over the world have no qualms. 

Maybe Olivia needs to stop using the industry standard, rhetoric and culture that she's a part of and using it as a blanket to speak for movie fanbases. 

No offense to Munn, but I kind of feel this post. Though I remember from one of her interviews that her issue was with the two sides that female actors are normally lumped into: combatant-types or mother-types. Very little in between. This I can understand (even though in reality that is her role in this movie.)

PredBabe

PredBabe

Quote from: Wysps on Jul 10, 2018, 08:27:57 PM

Hey I'm from the south with a psych degree and a gun permit!   :D :P

Of course I have no qualms with a [female] character having experience in firearms regardless of their profession. People are full of surprises.

But I do have to agree with this post as well. The entertainment industry is one of the most prominent sexist and racist industries out there which probably does explain her use of the term "microaggression". If anything has irked me that she has vocalized, it's her views on cops being racist, though that's neither here nor there... 

OpenMaw

The bullshit word "Microaggression" can be shined up nicely and shoved up the keister of anyone who uses it in a serious context. I hope I "macro'd" my aggression on this subject well enough.

If she wanted to be flippant and demonstrate her point she could have just as easily said, ever hear of Sarah Connor, or Ellen Ripley?

Quote from: Wysps on Jul 10, 2018, 09:21:53 PM
Yeah, it's kind of a strong word for some

No. It's just a stupid new age hyper-politcally-correct empty, hollow, bullshit phrase invented to deflect argument. It's a word with dynamically shifting goal posts attached to it.

Can't even say i'm entirely surprised to hear Munn would use it. This idiocy is rampant in Hollywood.

Again, I stress, lot's of people in the United States don't know how to use guns. It's not unreasonable to ask why her character has that knowledge.

Hell, even the aforementioned RIPLEY and SARAH CONNOR had to learn.

Dusk

I honestly had to look it up, because I never heard of it before.  :laugh:

D88M

The first pic is cool though i dont like the AVP style scenery, the second one looks too sterile :/

Huggs

Quote from: Dusk on Jul 10, 2018, 10:21:15 PM
I honestly had to look it up, because I never heard of it before.  :laugh:

I still don't know what it is. But if it's anything like "short guy syndrome" I don't see how it applies.  ;)

OpenMaw

Quote from: Huggs on Jul 10, 2018, 11:51:32 PM
I still don't know what it is. But if it's anything like "short guy syndrome" I don't see how it applies.  ;)

It's in line with "check your privilege" and "male shit-lord" and "oppressive patriarchy."

Huggs

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jul 10, 2018, 11:53:30 PM
Quote from: Huggs on Jul 10, 2018, 11:51:32 PM

It's in line with "check your privilege" and "male shit-lord" and "oppressive patriarchy."

People nowadays sure come up with some strange concepts.

Original Predator

Quote from: The Old One on Jul 10, 2018, 08:57:28 PM
At this point "microaggression" is seeming to translate into

Like getting wound up over someone using the term "microaggression" huh?

Making an observation of irony (Munn working for the industry she dispises and blanketing fans with a made up term) is far from "wound up".

Opining on a forum.

Good try tho.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed