Alien Resurrection is a very enjoyable film.

Started by bobby brown, Jul 04, 2018, 11:21:47 AM

Author
Alien Resurrection is a very enjoyable film. (Read 12,953 times)

bobby brown

bobby brown

My main alien films are still the original trilogy, perfection, that's the core alien experience for me.
However, as redundant story wise as it is, I really like Alien Resurrection.
I view Alien Resurrection the same way I view a fun but flawed comic book. I don't take it too seriously and I enjoy it for what it is.

Visually:
Alien Resurrection has absolutely amazing production values, and absolutely gorgeous cinematography, perhaps....even the best in the series? I would say the original ALIEN 1979 is the most beautiful move but just look at these shots!

Jean-Pierre Jeunet and his usual crew really elevated this movie visually. I particularly like the opening credits, really atmospheric.

Story and execution:
First of, the pacing is just excellent, the movie just flows really well. The story, admittedly redundant, comes off as a pretty straightforward simple story, yet DOES explore new territory. We DO get to see the Aliens finally in the hands off a military force, we DO get that Alien-Human hybrid (that seems so inevitable) in the form of Ripley and the Newborn.

Cast:
Alien Resurrection has a very interesting cast, Michael Wincott specifically was really charismatic and died way too soon. Ron Perlman played his part really well. The scientists work really well for me too. Brad Dourif is terrifically insane and in love with the aliens (relatable).
J.E. Freeman as Wren, I LOVE his line in the special edition "A parasite!, a foreign element" So incredibly inhumane, yet very scientifically correct.  Sigourney Weaver returns again, now in her early 40s, and to give her us her most "sexiest" performance yet. She tries to pull a bit of Michelle Pfeifer ala Catwoman. And she delivers! (and that basketball sequence was awesome, admit it)
It´s also one of the few movies that actually feature a wheelchair-bound person, even features him in action scenes, and has him live throughout the end!

Design:
The AR Aliens are pretty disliked on these boards. I prefer the classic aliens myself, but these designs are very cool in their own right. I think the Alien Resurrection Warriors are ADI´s best work in terms of suits. It's a very stylized and ambitious design. probably heavily inspired by the way Chris Cunningham and Simon Bisley drew their aliens at the time.

The Newborn is perhaps the most hated alien creature to date, I think its only real mistake design-wise was the eyes, it should have been eyeless. Other than that, I think it looks like what a hybrid creature ought to.  and the actual execution of the special effects was VERY good (hole-sucking scene excluded) the rest of the bestiary is fine, the eggs, Facehuggers queen, and Chestbursters looks great.

The film only features two spaceships, but I really dig the design of the betty,

Final Notes,
Being an ALIEN film is both its biggest strength and its biggest flaw. If this was its own thing and not a part of the Alien franchise I bet this would be a full-on cult classic, an essential 90s sci-fi action movie. However, being the high-concept sci-fi action movie that it is, yet also features my favourite movie monster, AND Sigourney Weaver, well shit, that's awesome. Yes, yes, the breathalizer door access system is absolutely laughable, the newborn is ugly, and Dan Hedaya had very hairy shoulders.

But disregarding this film as a bad/shit movie just for being the worst alien film is just a shame, it got so much good going for it.

Olde

I agree about the visuals and those images really show what you mean quite well. It has striking images that are subtly evocative and drenched in mood somewhat similar to Alien 3. You didn't mention music but I will mention that I think it has better music than the previous three movies (perhaps not as iconic or energetic but technically better imo). Post-Op and The Chapel are hands down my favourite pieces from the entire series. The film itself is marred by an unnecessary plot, shallow characters, too many failed attempts at comedy, etc. but it's enjoyable nonetheless.

Axe

What I like about Resurrection:
- the experiment room with the ripley cloning failures, very strong;
- the nightmareish waking of the kidnapped passengers;
- the characters are actually more developed than A3 and both alien prequels at the points that you nearly care about them;
- Kim Flowers's ass.

What I did not like:
- Uhm... everything else? Starting from the whole concept of this hybridization human-alien that's across the entire movie
- Therefore...Ripley 8
- The shitty, forced, deaths like Christie
- The failed humor/black humor jokes
- The newborn face and strength..
- everything else again

;D

The Old One

The Old One

Unfortunately the maquette is so dynamic and that doesn't translate to the suit, because fundamentally you can't fit a human being into that design.
Or at least ADI can't.

Great little review.

bobby brown

bobby brown

The first movies couldn't escape the "guy-in-a-suit" vibe either, Its about how you frame the shots. When the aliens are seen in full figure in the movie, they were rendered with Cgi. Which by my standards, were fine. Especially in the escape pod shot.

Its all about creating an illusion utilizing various tools :P

However, the AVP films wich reused these designs, utilized them in a way less efficient manner. (by my standards)

PredBabe

I agree with your review on AR. I kind of look at it as an alternate universe sort of thing. The characters are fairly bland but there are some good concepts amongst the not so great decisions/designs and it is an entertaining movie.

The Cruentus

I actually do enjoy Alien Resurrection but due to the many silly elements I look on it as a parody rather than a true part of the franchise, obviously that is just my opinion. Canonically it is part of the series. At least for now.

I am actually not bothered by the Xenomorph designs in this movie at all because they are not true Xenomorphs, they are genetically mutated hybrids and their appearances works for the film. It just doesn't work when they are in AVP.

I agree about the cast, I think Michael Wincott bit it too soon.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

I'd say that this is the weakest entry of the four films in the franchise, and i'm not a fan of Whedon at all, but i'll admit that he had a few good ideas with this movie.

First, reusing the concept of bad guys being the main guys is cool, choosing a bunch of space pirates that are objectively assholes (smuggling humans in hypersleep is a bad thing lol) is a bold choice. Alien 3 did the same with the prisoners but they were too many of them and most were difficult to recognize. This isn't the case here.

Second, some scenes are really unsettling, like when Ripley discovers and kills all the failed "experiments". The acting and music are amazing. Disturbing material here. Which is great in this type of movie  ;)

Third, the unborn is really ugly, but in a good way IMO, just looking at this thing in the eyes makes me uncomfortable, which was the goal i think. That's why you needed eyes, it's where most emotions can be seen, and seeing this type of expressions on his face was really disturbing.

The Cruentus

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Jul 04, 2018, 02:41:05 PM
I'd say that this is the weakest entry of the four films in the franchise, and i'm not a fan of Whedon at all, but i'll admit that he had a few good ideas with this movie.

First, reusing the concept of bad guys being the main guys is cool, choosing a bunch of space pirates that are objectively assholes (smuggling humans in hypersleep is a bad thing lol) is a bold choice. Alien 3 did the same with the prisoners but they were too many of them and most were difficult to recognize. This isn't the case here.

Second, some scenes are really unsettling, like when Ripley discovers and kills all the failed "experiments". The acting and music are amazing. Disturbing material here. Which is great in this type of movie  ;)

Third, the unborn is really ugly, but in a good way IMO, just looking at this thing in the eyes makes me uncomfortable, whic was the goal i think. That's why you needed eyes, it's where most emotions can be seen, and seeing thys type of expressions on his face was really disturbing.

Interestingly, despite being bad guys, I don't think even they could have thought just how bad how those poor saps were going to be used,  the movie and novel implies that the betty crew feel somewhat guilty when they find the bodies later on.

Huggs

I enjoy Resurrection much more than the prequels. It still feels somewhat like an Alien film. It may have silly moments, and some odd stuff, but that just makes it feel more like an interpretation of one of the novels rather than a dead-serious Alien movie. There's plenty to like, if you just look for it. I'd much rather have Alien movies like Resurrection, than this mess with David. The only personal descent into madness that matters to me at this point, is my own with these prequels.  :D

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: The Cruentus on Jul 04, 2018, 02:45:08 PM
Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Jul 04, 2018, 02:41:05 PM

Third, the unborn is really ugly, but in a good way IMO, just looking at this thing in the eyes makes me uncomfortable, whic was the goal i think. That's why you needed eyes, it's where most emotions can be seen, and seeing thys type of expressions on his face was really disturbing.

Interestingly, despite being bad guys, I don't think even they could have thought just how bad how those poor saps were going to be used,  the movie and novel implies that the betty crew feel somewhat guilty when they find the bodies later on.

I agree that they seem to realize progressively the horror of what they've done... But they're bastards for having hijacked those guys cryotubes, even without knowing what they'll be used for. And they knew it wouldn't possibly be for honorable ends either.

426Buddy

Opposite for me, I enjoyed the prequels more than Alien Resurrection.

I do enjoy AR, it has some great visuals and some cool scenes.

However the whacky humor, plot, and some of the acting (Winona) hurts the movie as a whole. Also the creature  effects have a very squishy and floppy feel to them even though they are well done, they didnt feel right.

I loved Wincott and Dourif in this movie. At the same time i didnt like many of the others in the cast, Perlman (who is generally great) just didnt work imo. The guy that played Christy was awful.

And finally the newborn was pointless, felt random, and ruined the end of the film for me.

bobby brown

Quote from: Olde on Jul 04, 2018, 11:58:18 AM
I agree about the visuals and those images really show what you mean quite well. It has striking images that are subtly evocative and drenched in mood somewhat similar to Alien 3. You didn't mention music but I will mention that I think it has better music than the previous three movies (perhaps not as iconic or energetic but technically better imo). Post-Op and The Chapel are hands down my favourite pieces from the entire series. The film itself is marred by an unnecessary plot, shallow characters, too many failed attempts at comedy, etc. but it's enjoyable nonetheless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brCiNONqUCQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YR4eSdwgMfM

Thank you for contributing my dude! :)
Its a great score for sure, I just rarely pick up on the music in movies.
However, my favorite score is Alien 3. (ok, the one track I know "agnus dei")

Local Trouble

I hate this thread.

bobby brown

You have ugly kids.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed