A Series Set In The ‘Alien’ Universe Being Considered?

Started by Wobblyboddle77, Jul 03, 2018, 11:31:07 PM

Author
A Series Set In The ‘Alien’ Universe Being Considered? (Read 49,912 times)

OpenMaw

I'd rather have neither and instead get a quality f**king film for once.

It's either "Well, that was a shit show" or "Well, that was okay" or "Wow, that looked amazing but holy God that story."

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jul 06, 2018, 01:09:03 AM
I'd rather have neither and instead get a quality f**king film for once.

It's either "Well, that was a shit show" or "Well, that was okay" or "Wow, that looked amazing but holy God that story."

The averages say we have to eventually, all it takes is for one element to be good that consistently hasn't been since Alien 3: The Script.

Everything in the two prequels, apart from some questionable editing, would've fallen together well had the characters outside of David had consistent understandable motives, made intelligent decisions and spoke with some measure of realism that's  since been absent after 1992.

I'm just saying in my previous comment that I take issue with those that believe the recent Alien films haven't hit the mark because of lack of the titular beast, Rebecca Jorden, Dwayne Hicks or Ellen Ripley being dead or the SJ being an Engineer. These are not the things that hold back an Alien/Prometheus film from being good and never have been. Since 1997, it's been the script.

brokentusk420

TV series could be fine. But leave that bumkamp BS fan service in the garbage.  People think that's what they want to see but have no idea how horrible it really is.  There is nothing wrong with the killing of a pointless character like Newt off, and Hicks. It makes for a more realistic circumstance. Another movie retreadingthoae characters is purely too satisfy the fanboys and not about telling a compelling story 

OpenMaw

Some of us don't consider them useless characters. Particularly Newt who was PROFOUNDLY important to Ripley's character growth in Aliens.

There's plenty wrong with killing characters just because you can't be assed to continue from where the previous film left off.

Aliens took the care to replicate the end of Alien to ensure continuity before carrying on with it's own narrative. It didn't flip a bird at Ridley Scott and change everything or kill Ripley off to start fresh with it's own characters.

SM

Was Fincher not allowed to flip the bird at Cameron?

The Old One

The Old One

The previous characters from Aliens departure could've been handled differently yes, but I believe it was handled effectively- building Ripley's character growth through to it's conclusion.

But more than that, even if you see no merit in A3 whatsoever- it's near 30 years too late to change anything. The story has been concluded for decades.
Bringing them back would be PATHETIC at this point and so transparent that even Local Trouble would see the skeleton.

OpenMaw

Quote from: SM on Jul 06, 2018, 06:18:28 AM
Was Fincher not allowed to flip the bird at Cameron?

Yeah, go for it. Be spiteful. Flip your birds up.  Doesn't mean it's a quality creative decision.

If Alien 3 were it's own film, with no ties to the Alien series, it would be one thing, but there was a lot of audience good will built up from Aliens.

You can't create a franchise film in a vacuum. Those considerations have to be taken into account. Especially when you're talking about killing off main characters. Aside of the autopsy(Which Fincher himself was little more than a means to tell the audience that this film was going to be uncomfortable and not a fun ride) and the funeral scene, nothing is done with Ripley's character regarding these characters. She just shuts down. That's it. Nil.

Which again, stark contrast to what Aliens did going from Alien. Ripley's story continues. PTSD, nightmares, survivors guilt, fear of having to face the Alien again. These are all threads pulling from the previous film to great effect. Why wouldn't you want to do that going into the third film?

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jul 05, 2018, 08:52:30 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 04, 2018, 10:21:16 AM
So we're debating whether or not to post this on the front-page now that Omega has broken the news but the short is I've known something about this for a few months now, and have spoken to a small handful of people in the know. I've got no real concrete info other than that there's something in the works/being developed regarding some sort of Alien series thing.

Some of the bigger news sites are now also running with this:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danidiplacido/2018/07/05/the-alien-franchise-would-work-way-better-as-a-tv-series/#64040e1616b6

A couple of the other bigger movie/nerd outlets are running it to. Seems to be a fairly positive response to this so even if it's not a usual TV series, I guess Fox now knows there's some wider interest in this.

SM

QuoteWhich again, stark contrast to what Aliens did going from Alien. Ripley's story continues. PTSD, nightmares, survivors guilt, fear of having to face the Alien again. These are all threads pulling from the previous film to great effect. Why wouldn't you want to do that going into the third film?

Because you've already done it in the second one.

Why would you need to do anything with Ripley in regards to Hicks and Newt?  They're dead.  Once she knows there's an Alien running around she acts like Ripley always does and tries to find a way to stop it.  You want to her mope around?

The Cruentus

Quote from: The Old One on Jul 06, 2018, 02:07:42 AM
The averages say we have to eventually, all it takes is for one element to be good that consistently hasn't been since Alien 3: The Script.

Everything in the two prequels, apart from some questionable editing, would've fallen together well had the characters outside of David had consistent understandable motives, made intelligent decisions and spoke with some measure of realism that's  since been absent after 1992.

I'm just saying in my previous comment that I take issue with those that believe the recent Alien films haven't hit the mark because of lack of the titular beast, Rebecca Jorden, Dwayne Hicks or Ellen Ripley being dead or the SJ being an Engineer. These are not the things that hold back an Alien/Prometheus film from being good and never have been. Since 1997, it's been the script.

I agree with this, while Hicks and Newt's death was not handled right, I think the third film wrapped Ripley's arc up well. I just think there should have been a movie or two in between 2 and 3, so what was built up in Aliens could have been explored while still allowing Ripley to have a suitable end.
I don't their deaths would or should hold an Alien movie back from being great, its called Alien, not the "Adventures of Hicks, Newt and Ripley"

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jul 06, 2018, 06:16:30 AM
Some of us don't consider them useless characters. Particularly Newt who was PROFOUNDLY important to Ripley's character growth in Aliens.

There's plenty wrong with killing characters just because you can't be assed to continue from where the previous film left off.

Aliens took the care to replicate the end of Alien to ensure continuity before carrying on with it's own narrative. It didn't flip a bird at Ridley Scott and change everything or kill Ripley off to start fresh with it's own characters.

Cameron even used the same camera styles I believe for the intro. Hicks and Newt should have not been disposed of like that but at the same time an Alien movie should not have to be connected to them or have them in just because. 

If I was writting Alien 3 and there was no way around keeping them out of the movie, I would just say the EEV crash severly damaged the cryo tubes so that they cannot be woken up safely unless in a place with proper equipment, its lame I know but at least the characters would be spared, and after Ripley's death, it would be interesting to see how they would react and come to terms with it. Perhaps motivated to find and wipe out all the Xenomorphs, thus given a franchise a new character to follow with personal motives to go after them.

Because how many times could one justify Ripley facing her literal nightmares?

SM

It's been the script a long time before 1997.

Perfect-Organism

You can justify Ripley facing her worst nightmares plenty of times.  She's one of the few people in the galaxy that knows about the aliens, and she's motivated to destroy them.  Do you think that after Aliens she would just walk away and live out her life in anonymity in the suburbs?  Come on!  She would either be chased by WY for destroying Hadley's Hope or chased by the Colonial Marines so they can get all the info they can out of her.  She would lead a persecuted life, knowing that WY and CM don't want to destroy the Aliensbut breed them.  The same would go for Hicks and Newt.  They are bound together by their knowledge and horrific experiences.  Misery loves company.

As a result of the above, the trio would want to exterminate the aliens.  It would be just a question of time before WY and CM got their hands on the species, perhaps another 30 years or so.  Hicks, with his military expertise would be monitoring the activities of WY and CM.  At the right time, they would strike like Sarah Connor.  There's your third film.  Or series.

During the fight against WY and CM perhaps David would appear??  Perhaps everyone stumbles upon engineers?

Denton Smalls

I'll go ahead and start this now.

#BringBackBiehn

Hicks would be great in a mentor role, training a new generation of bug stompers in a series.

Vermillion

That's Space Above and Beyond right there.

Make it "Tour of Duty" style.  Where main characters get whacked weekly.  Vietnam style.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Denton Smalls on Jul 06, 2018, 11:24:37 AM
I'll go ahead and start this now.

#BringBackBiehn

Hicks would be great in a mentor role, training a new generation of bug stompers in a series.

I got your back on this one!  There's a FB page dedicated to resetting the timeline...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed