Prometheus and Alien: Ridley Scott’s feeling for flutes

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jun 20, 2018, 02:20:50 PM

Author
Prometheus and Alien: Ridley Scott’s feeling for flutes (Read 9,170 times)

Huggs

Quote from: Scorpio on Jun 21, 2018, 10:24:02 PM
What if they do have proof and they're just not releasing it to the public?

Interplanetary contract violation. Nobody wants to be the first to get probed.

That and Will Smith just won't allow it.  ;)

MU-TH-UR 6000

Why would they keep it a secret? There's no reason for that, it wouldn't make a big rucus at all. As it was mentioned here, most people are dumb as bricks and this being news would just fly over them. You have flat-earthers and people denying dinosaurs ever existed aplenty, so.  :P

Huggs

Quote from: MU-TH-UR 6000 on Jun 21, 2018, 10:37:42 PM

Why would they keep it a secret? There's no reason for that, it wouldn't make a big rucus at all. 

The days are gone when you might expect full-out panic in the streets at the mention of Aliens existing. No doubt due to the movies, radio productions, and literature of the time. Little men from Mars were the thing back then. Now we have zombies. If aliens were announced to exist, you'd have a slight sales increase in gas, guns, ammo and food for about a week or two and then everybody would be talking about how cool it is that aliens exist. The kids would all be wanting flying saucers for Christmas. A month later, some celebrity would check themselves into rehab, and the space men would be forgotten.

OpenMaw

Quote from: Huggs on Jun 21, 2018, 10:50:30 PM
The days are gone when you might expect full-out panic in the streets at the mention of Aliens existing. No doubt due to the movies, radio productions, and literature of the time. Little men from Mars were the thing back then. Now we have zombies. If aliens were announced to exist, you'd have a slight sales increase in gas, guns, ammo and food for about a week or two and then everybody would be talking about how cool it is that aliens exist. The kids would all be wanting flying saucers for Christmas. A month later, some celebrity would check themselves into rehab, and the space men would be forgotten.

It's amazing just how true all of that is.

whiterabbit

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jun 22, 2018, 12:14:54 AM
Quote from: Huggs on Jun 21, 2018, 10:50:30 PM

It's amazing just how true all of that is.
Yea but what happens if the aliens look like the devil complete with skeletons riding on horses?

OpenMaw

That would be a helluva thing.  ;D

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: whiterabbit on Jun 22, 2018, 12:46:02 AM
Yea but what happens if the aliens look like the devil complete with skeletons riding on horses?

Simple. I have a insane view where I live. I'll bust out a lawn chair, blast some Iron Maiden or "black hole sun" over the stereo, and await an apocalypse of sheer awesomeness.  ;)

Scorpio

Quote from: MU-TH-UR 6000 on Jun 21, 2018, 10:37:42 PM

Why would they keep it a secret? There's no reason for that, it wouldn't make a big rucus at all.

Same reason they keep other things secret.  Or downplay/de-emphasise them.  Power/control, the usual.

QuoteAs it was mentioned here, most people are dumb as bricks and this being news would just fly over them.

A bit arrogant, maybe.

QuoteYou have flat-earthers and people denying dinosaurs ever existed aplenty, so.  :P

Yeah, and so?

I don't believe anything is 'real'.  As Morpheus said "How do you define real?" 

You decry anything that doesn't fit your narrow reality as 'nonsense'.  The joke is on you.  Anything is possible.

Huggs

Quote from: Scorpio on Jun 22, 2018, 03:11:16 AM
I don't believe anything is 'real'.  As Morpheus said "How do you define real?" 

I stubbed my toe today. I assure you, it was 100% real. And I defined it with an eclectic list of screaming expletives that immediately followed the incident.  ;)

Scorpio

Well pain is just a signal interpreted by the brain, some people have apparently learned to minimise or eradicate pain through various techniques.

Huggs

Quote from: Scorpio on Jun 22, 2018, 03:22:20 AM
Well pain is just a signal interpreted by the brain, some people have apparently learned to minimise or eradicate pain through various techniques.

I am apparently not one of those people.  :D That hurt like crap.

SM

More or less than this thread?

OpenMaw

Quote from: Scorpio on Jun 22, 2018, 03:22:20 AM

Hey Scorpio, since nothing is real can I have all of your non existent Earthly possessions?

Quote from: SM on Jun 22, 2018, 03:39:15 AM
More or less than this thread?

Scorpio

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jun 22, 2018, 03:43:38 AM

Hey Scorpio, since nothing is real can I have all of your non existent Earthly possessions?

I don't have many 'possessions', I only have what I need.  Why would you want them in the first place?  You think having 'stuff' makes you happier? 

Wysps

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 20, 2018, 02:20:50 PM
http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/ridley-scott-alien/58449/prometheus-and-alien-ridley-scott-s-feeling-for-flutes

QuoteFor years, that seemed to be as far as we could get with the flute mystery. But then, in 2017 - almost exactly five years after we talked to Anil Biltoo - we finally got to raise the subject with Ridley Scott. Ostensibly, Scott was in the country to promote Blade Runner 2049 - the sequel to his own 1982 classic, which he produced and Denis Villeneuve directed. But Scott's mind is far too alive and restless to stick to one topic for long, and so our conversation veered quite dramatically from Blade Runner to World War II bombs to the question of whether Leonardo da Vinci was some form of artificial intelligence.

From there, Scott began to muse on the subject of ancient aliens - and whether the extraordinary creativity displayed by someone like Da Vinci or Mozart might have been the result of an intervention by an extraterrestrial power. Seizing the moment, we asked: was that why the flute was in Prometheus and Alien: Covenant? Was it Scott's way of saying that music was something given to us by ancient aliens?

"Well, yeah," Scott said, as though it was the most obvious thing in the world. "The flute would probably be the most basic instrument - you get a reed, you punch a hole through it, blow, and you get sound. So I felt the flute was the most basic of all instruments - the air. Or you could have percussion, drums. But I think it was air, to get an interesting, magical sound. But I always revolve around the idea of, I like the genius of Michelangelo. In terms of his brain, his mathematical, engineering, artistic mind. It makes him one of the absolute greats, really. He was 100 years ahead of his time. So yeah, the flute is a symbol of simplicity, but also, it's a sonic lock: you play the right notes, it opens a door."

I was going to reply to this thread with a snobby, "shows how much he knows" (honestly, flutes are rather difficult to play - the amount of control needed in the lips and diaphragm is no joke).  But then I actually read up on prehistoric flutes....damn, the man's right!  Put me in my place.  I do appreciate his metaphor.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed