Can we just forget about the Predator Hierarchy?

Started by Jigsaw85, Jun 14, 2018, 11:32:59 PM

Author
Can we just forget about the Predator Hierarchy? (Read 7,783 times)

OpenMaw

CH and JH are hunters.

The three stooges are like poachers.

skull-splitter

Sort of, yes.

Master

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jul 02, 2018, 10:59:20 PM
CH and JH are hunters.

The three stooges are like poachers.

Yep, this is exact analogy I used in 2010 ;D

The Cruentus

Indeed. Another addition to the Predators is temperament, just like most species, they would have an individual personality, so regardless of hunting rules, they can't always be generalized by the actions of one or two. Some Predators might be more sporting and even merciful, others might be just dicks. While others just indifferent.

Technically speaking, we can't really place or compare our morality, rules and sense of honor on to them because just like real life, different cultures of humans have their own society, rules and morality. Like we generally don't don't really care about eating cows and pigs, and we dislike other countries eating dogs and dolphins, but to some other countries, our eating of cows and pigs is considered horrible and atrocious.

yautjapet

Quote from: The Cruentus on Jul 03, 2018, 11:07:49 AM
Indeed. Another addition to the Predators is temperament, just like most species, they would have an individual personality, so regardless of hunting rules, they can't always be generalized by the actions of one or two. Some Predators might be more sporting and even merciful, others might be just dicks. While others just indifferent.

Technically speaking, we can't really place or compare our morality, rules and sense of honor on to them because just like real life, different cultures of humans have their own society, rules and morality. Like we generally don't don't really care about eating cows and pigs, and we dislike other countries eating dogs and dolphins, but to some other countries, our eating of cows and pigs is considered horrible and atrocious.

Agreed with all of this, great points. I definitely think there's a lot of room for variation among predators, both due to differing cultures (I always liked the "clans" thing) and their unique personalities and preferences.

skull-splitter

Quote from: yautjapet on Jul 03, 2018, 05:15:35 PM

Agreed with all of this, great points. I definitely think there's a lot of room for variation among predators, both due to differing cultures (I always liked the "clans" thing) and their unique personalities and preferences.
Enter diversity. Which I really would use in order to explain all the different predators by now.

PredBabe

PredBabe

Which I think is what this movie is going for so we's on the right track!

OpenMaw

I don't think anyone really has an issue with diversity, indeed I welcome it and it's one of the fun aspects of the Predator species. Just visually alone you can do a lot of stuff. It's a great deal of fun just to go on figure realm or youtube and see some of the custom Predator figures people have come up with.

https://www.figurerealm.com/customfigure?action=view&id=89866

https://www.figurerealm.com/customfigure?action=view&id=81733

https://www.figurerealm.com/customfigure?action=view&id=67974

https://www.figurerealm.com/customfigure?action=view&id=66192

The big issue is in portrayal. When it becomes what "they" do, for example. "They" have strict honor or "they" are modifying themselves with our DNA, etc...

Wysps

Those first two figures are pretty awesome - especially the second.

Quote from: yautjapet on Jul 03, 2018, 05:15:35 PM

Differing cultures, personalities and preferences. This is what I'd like to see going forward in the franchise. A move away from focusing solely on the humans, maybe make a Predator a legitimate "main" and survive the ordeal. There's just so much more that could be done with the Predators without even encroaching on their "culture/customs/etc."

OpenMaw

it speaks to the good writing in Prey, the comic, and Briggs' script that Broken Tusk is a Predator you want to see live.

PredBabe

PredBabe

Agreed, I'd like to see a movie where one actually survives.
They probably could have worked this out for Captured but no, oomans have to save the day.

In regards to the differing Predator personalities, I find it funny how Shane describes The Predator to be similar to a western. We literally have "the good, the bad, and the ugly" Predators running around.

The Old One

The Old One

Dirty oomans.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed