Open Maw's Alien III Fan Edit Development

Started by OpenMaw, May 27, 2018, 06:19:30 PM

Author
Open Maw's Alien III Fan Edit Development (Read 13,688 times)

OpenMaw

Potential new title face-type for the opening.

My two minor edits that started this whole adventure.

Alright, this is rumor control, here are the facts. This is going to be like an adventure. We're going to explore, experiment, and see what happens. 

Feedback, criticism, and suggestions, will be appreciated...

With all that said, the one thing I want to stress is I am not interested in trying to make Alien 3 more like what David Fincher wanted to do. I'm not interested in what vision he or Fox had for the movie.

I'm interested in making Alien 3 closer to the kind of film I would have wanted. Some puritans are going to hate what I have in mind. That's okay.  I'm interested in exploring what might be done to make the things within it's two versions more effective. I'm interested in applying bits of grout to try and smooth some of the rough edges and make it feel more consistent with it's predecessors.

What you are about to read is not listed by priority.

• Improve the opening of the film. Eliminate the "egg" continuity problem. Either via a complete re-edit, or with small tweaks.
  • Utilize the best bits of both assembly and theatrical cuts. Junk everything else. Trim the fat.
  • Integrate some sound design from Alien and Aliens. Specifically for computer terminals, and the WY Pulse Rifles.
  • Reduce the alien encounters early on. Maintain better mystery and audience connectivity with Ripley.
  • Using bits of stuff unused from the opening to create a nightmare sequence for Ripley to wake up from. Primarily to smooth out a broken transition I will create when I remove a scene.
  • Dog, not ox. Dillion's speech is far more fitting with the innocent dog giving birth to the alien.
  • Remove as much of the rod puppet and Alien POV shots as possible.
  • Ripley, Clemens, Dillion, Andrews, 85, Morse, and Golic to be emphasized. Trim,cut, and reduce everyone else.
  • Trim down final act. The tunnel run in particular. *****
  • Remove the attempted rape scene. *
  • Remove or reduce implications that Clemens and Ripley hooked up. **
  • Most of Golic's additional scenes will be restored, but the creature will not be captured. ***
  • Tweak ending to extend drama for Ripley's jump, and to increase sense of series closure. ****
  • Additionally, I hate the Assembly Cut fall. Looks like an animatic. Plus, having her burst is fitting to me. It's been one of her greatest fears. Her literal worst nightmare. So i'll be using the actual bursting shot from the theatrical cut.
  • Use Dillon's speech from the theatrical cut.
  • trim little bits and pieces of various scenes that don't really add anything or are essentially repeating the same shit for no reason.

* Maybe. It doesn't really add anything. Even as a kid I always felt like this was just the writer trying to throw obstacles in Ripley's way. We learn nothing about anyone in this scene that we don't pick up on from other scenes. We do not need to see Dillion save Ripley, and it doesn't really do Ripley's character any harm or disharm. the rest of the film is completely unchanged for it.

** They share a connection, but it never goes beyond that. Their relationship just never sat right with me. No matter how charming Charles Dance is. I just never cared for Ripley jumping into bed with literally the first guy she sees upon waking up. It just seemed off to me, and I much prefer their relationship without the sexual implication.

*** I'll be using as many of Paul Mcgann's scenes as I can because I think he gives a great performance. However, I do agree with Weaver that capturing the Alien is no good. So i'll be creating an alternate death scene for Golic. I have two ideas in mind. The first one will help me remove some of the rod puppet stuff from the infirmary.

**** For starters, I'll use the extended assembly version of this sequence, sans the "Your crazy" line from Ripley. In her final moments, Ripley will be hesitant to make her jump. She'll recall memories from her recent past. A shot of her with the Nostromo crew eating dinner. The final moment between Ripley and Hicks from Aliens SE. The last moment I want here is Ripley and Newt in Medlab. "I'm not going to leave you Newt. I mean that." "Promise?" "Cross my heart." "And hope to die." And that's when she'll take the plunge.

***** The tunnel run is going to be like a meat grinder. There's just enough footage to recut the sequence to avoid most of the POV and puppet shots, and eliminate the tedium. Again, the focus will shift towards Ripley, Dillon, and Morse.

More to follow.

Huggs

Huggs

Awesome job so far. That new opening is simply fantastic. The only issues that stand out to me is the pulse rifle effects in 85's death edit. The sound effect for the longer distance shots is a bit too loud and pronounced for the distance the camera is from the rifle, and the sound effect when the camera is close to the rifle sounds more quiet and farther away. Were these effects to be swapped, resulting in 3 lower and one close up at higher volume, I'd say you were dead on. Of course, if the problem is just my speakers, then I do apologize.

I don't mean to nitpick. You're doing awesome work here. And the working list sounds good, all except for removing the junkyard assault, the early encounters with the xenomorph, and Ripley's death.

The junkyard adds more to the movie than it takes. Clemens says, he's going to point her in the right direction, and we get to see where. We also get to see what happened to bishop before he gets plugged in, and it is an emotional scene in the fact that the body of this character we came to respect and know in the last movie has basically been abandoned on a junkpile. It's almost shocking to see. Another thing it shows is that the inmates are truly losing control, and it also demonstrates the authority Dillon has and showcases his abilities as the alpha male and leader. It's not so much that the weak woman is saved by the man, as Ripley gets a good shot in herself, but it does demonstrate why Dillon is not one to screw with, and why he's somewhat in charge.

The biggest reason to keep it though is because without it, Dillon's later comments about Murder, Rape, and brothers in trouble would make no sense at all. I'm referring to the final rumor control scene, where Dillon rushes through his prayer and proceeds to lose his cool before Andrews is killed by the alien. The audience would be left wondering what rape Dillon was talking about.

As for the early encounters with the alien, I think it's the same as Bretts death. The first kills showcase the creatures ability for individuals who may be new to the franchise, and the later scenes where Golic is fascinated by the creature and then escapes and when Murphy falls into the fan would make no sense without them. And honestly, I just think those scenes were very tense and scary and very well done. I do agree about the dog being more shocking though.

And the tunnel chase was just a bad idea to begin with. But they simply had too many characters left and needed a quick way to thin the herd. Had they opted to eliminate the "hell yeah, let's go for it" vibe and instead had them heading through the tunnels because some of the guys on watch had been killed and they were all being stalked, it would've been somewhat better. Or they could've just filmed a scene where Dylan wakes up and one of the inmates is quietly giving him a sitrep, and informs him that several of the guys went missing last night, and that they need to leave the area as quickly as possible. Or maybe Ripley wakes up and Dillon tells her what's going on.

As for Ripley's death, bursting is more gory, but I always found the bursting ending to be a bit too cringy. Her falling and holding that thing was just alittle too much. It happens to burst at that exact moment? And she should have been dead instantly, and not able to hold onto the thing. It's all just alittle too symbolic and cheesy, and kind of screams that you're watching a movie. It's enough for her to know she's going to die, and to fall alive and aware into a lake of molten fire is far more horrifying, sad, and courageous of an end than the counterpart I think. But seeing as how they were bound to (and did) make more movies, I actually would've liked to have her be captured, or at least be injured to the point losing consciousness, and be rescued against her will. Seeing her go through all this hell only to ultimately lose the big objective would've been great.

Maybe that's how they'll do Alien 5. The ending where she killed herself is the dream, and Fury was still real, but the company did get her. Maybe Dillon just knocked her out when she asked him to kill her, everything after that was a dream. Maybe he thought she was now a liability or going crazy and therefore an actual danger to him and his people.

But like I said, fantastic work. I really wish the kind of opening you've created would've been used in the actual film. I look forward to the next edit. It's really cool seeing this stuff.

The Old One

The Old One

Well, you already know what I think;
So I won't be bring down this topic with hateful comments.

I find some of the changes you intend to make, like the very idea of an Alien sequel that retconned Alien 3 or parts of it, frankly repugnant.
I thought the existence of Turk would be proof enough that nothing good can come from this.

OpenMaw

Quote from: The Old One on May 27, 2018, 10:45:59 PM
Well, you already know what I think;
So I won't be bring down this topic with hateful comments.

I find some of the changes you intend to make, like the very idea of an Alien sequel that retconned Alien 3 or parts of it, frankly repugnant.
I thought the existence of Turk would be proof enough that nothing good can come from this.

Turk is a tad. Just a tad more hackneyed and shit then anything I suggested here.

Still, I welcome your thoughts, no matter how hateful you feel you might be.

Quote from: Huggs on May 27, 2018, 07:35:01 PM
*snipped for size*

No nitpicks at all. You've raised some valid points and concerns.

However, to clarify - I'm not going to remove the entire junkyard scene. Just the return trip that leads into the rape. It would go from Ripley finding Bishop into the next scene.

My objective would be to pull down a lot of the alien action in the first act. Keeping it to much tighter glimpses. Spikey barking at the hugger would stay. Murphy's actual death excised, leaving only the aftermath. Why? Well, this is the biggest issue I have with the movie on the whole. One, it tries for all of these mysterious scenes, but it's already given us the answers. Two, we don't know Murphy. We have no idea who he is. So his death is really just there for gore. So cut it out, and save showing the Alien for later. Build up the suspense in a way that makes sense.

Basically my goal is to push the actual reveal of the alien all the way back to when it eats Boggs' and Rains. That scene in the tunnel with the candles is actually very effective and on par with the landing leg scene from Alien. Especially, when you reinsert the character setup with Boggs, Rains, Golic and Dillon. It feels, to me, like the more natural place to reveal the Alien. A much stronger reveal for the creature too, and focuses the character aspects of the story a little more. It shifts the attention towards Clemens trying to figure out what Ripley is hiding, and what's going on, and it focuses the attention towards Golic and his relationship with the other prisoners, as well as with the Alien. It pushes everything a little tighter in towards a point.

Here's another edit. This is more tweaking scenes to see if I can really push these ideas in there. The setup here is, of course, they try to trap the Alien, and it doesn't work out. However, in my overall edit, Golic will still be alive in the infirmary at this point. So Morse will be guarding Golic, but some of the dialogue in that scene won't work in that version of events, so I've tried to cleverly trim and rework the audio so that it syncs up.

I also tried something with Golic's demise to see how it plays. I might revert that last change. Keep in mind this is actually two separate scenes here, not continuous. Stuff happens in between these two moments.

This is idea one for how Golic's story might play out. I have another idea where Golic get's butchered in the infirmary after saying his "Magnificent" line. That's a little more tricky though.

SM

The Sulaco is moving in the wrong direction across the frame.

In Aliens the Sulaco - outward bound - moves left to right; in Alien the Nostromo - homeward bound - moves right to left.  In Alien 3 the Sulaco - homeward - also moves right to left and the Patna - outward, moves left to right.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I know where you're going with this, but space is space.  The "camera" could be viewing the Sulaco from the opposite direction during its return trip.

Or OpenMaw could invert the picture just to change the direction of the Sulaco's course across the screen.  :P

I can't say I agree with removing the rape scene.  I think it's an important payoff to Andrews' warning to Ripley in the morgue AND to show us that Dillon is different when he charges to her rescue.

Wow, it looks like OpenMaw is already on Fox's radar!  :o

SM, can't you do something??

Quote from: The Old One on May 27, 2018, 10:45:59 PM

>:(

SM

SM

You can't just flip the frame.  You need to reverse the Sulaco signage.

It'd be easier to flip the Patna shots to keep it consistent.

QuoteWe have no idea who he is.

And this is one of the main problems with Alien 3.  No amount of recutting will fix it.  You either have an intro for Murphy with Frank in the abbatoir, or you have an intro for Murphy when he finds Spike after he's been missing.  Same with Boggs and Rains, they have a scene to intro them and when you see them next, they're killed.

I'd keep the rape scene too, then in the fire sequence try and cut/ dub in a callback to make it more obvious to the audience that Ripley is helping save her would-be rapists.

QuoteSM, can't you do something??

The what now?

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on May 28, 2018, 05:22:12 AM
You can't just flip the frame.  You need to reverse the Sulaco signage.

It'd be easier to flip the Patna shots to keep it consistent.

Invert, not mirror.  Like I said, space is space.  Why can't we show the Sulaco flying upside-down?  At least then it'd be going in the right direction.  :P

Quote from: SM on May 28, 2018, 05:22:12 AM
QuoteSM, can't you do something??

The what now?

With Fox.  They got that Golic video removed already.  Can't you make some calls?

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Local Trouble on May 28, 2018, 05:05:13 AM

Wow, it looks like OpenMaw is already on Fox's radar!  :o

Of course, what with all the millions still to be made off of Alien 3.  ;)

Man, I was really looking forward to seeing that Golic video.

Oh and SM, if you do get ahold of anybody over there about pulling this stuff, tell em I said "they suck".   :D

Local Trouble

Shit, Fox should be paying HIM to do it.

SM

QuoteInvert, not mirror.  Like I said, space is space.  Why can't we show the Sulaco flying upside-down?  At least then it'd be going in the right direction.

Because it'd look stupid.

QuoteWith Fox.  They got that Golic video removed already.  Can't you make some calls?

Out of Skype credit.

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on May 28, 2018, 05:37:04 AM
QuoteInvert, not mirror.  Like I said, space is space.  Why can't we show the Sulaco flying upside-down?  At least then it'd be going in the right direction.

Because it'd look stupid.

Of course it would, but at least you'd get your right-to-left flight.

Quote from: SM on May 28, 2018, 05:37:04 AM
QuoteWith Fox.  They got that Golic video removed already.  Can't you make some calls?

Out of Skype credit.

:'(

SM

QuoteOf course it would, but at least you'd get your right-to-left flight.

Ah.  So the idea is not to improve the film after all.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I think the idea is to fix the problems with the limited resources that he actually has.  Frankly, I'm just impressed that he was able to change the color of the nebula in the background.  That was just enough to fool my brain into seeing it as different than the same scene in Aliens.

SM

It looked decent enough - but it didn't look like anything other than a colour corrected shot from Aliens.  Bit too brown.

The insert of the Aliens tubes looked okay - then you bugger up your continuity straight away with the dropship insert showing the missiles and loader.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed