"The Best Part Of Filming Had to be the Ensemble" - Shane Blacks Interview

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 15, 2018, 02:32:52 PM

Author
"The Best Part Of Filming Had to be the Ensemble" - Shane Blacks Interview (Read 17,767 times)

ELDERCLANLEADER

ELDERCLANLEADER

OpenMaw you have seen a 90 second clip , stop acting like you know what's coming when you haven't even seen it, please for the love of god if you are a true predator fan you would give the film a fair chance and watch it then make your own judgment. Presides the script wasn't all bad anyway , I have the script at hand , and there is plenty in there to like. Any script can sound bad on paper but actually be kick ass with final product. I'm not having a go but I think a lot of the negativity is largely sheepish behaviour, and if the snowball carries on going down hill at the rate it's going , it's going to seriously hurt the film even if it is actually good. Just give it a chance before you slate it , that's all I ask .

And for the record I'm very sceptical of who actually has read the script and who is basing it on hearsay . The script isn't even online anymore , I have it because a very friendly Australian fan gave it to me , it's largely inside circles where the script is floating about , you can't just google it and find it , so I'm very wary of this whole "I've read the script" thing , sure you might off , but I think a lot of people are just regurgitating what other people have told them. I've read the script 3 times , and each time I read it , it got progressively  better and better so there's that.  ::)

MudButt

In all honesty it's about execution. Whether or not that made changes to that script is meaningless. You can make a bad movie from a good script and vice versa. Plenty of things sound bad on paper and work out just fine. They've reshot the third act which in my opinion is where that script went way south. There's some good ideas there, it just needs to be reigned in a bit.

OpenMaw

Quote from: ELDERCLANLEADER on May 19, 2018, 01:03:20 AM
OpenMaw you have seen a 90 second clip , stop acting like you know what's coming when you haven't even seen it, please for the love of god if you are a true predator fan you would give the film a fair chance and watch it then make your own judgment. Presides the script wasn't all bad anyway , I have the script at hand , and there is plenty in there to like. Any script can sound bad on paper but actually be kick ass with final product. I'm not having a go but I think a lot of the negativity is largely sheepish behaviour, and if the snowball carries on going down hill at the rate it's going , it's going to seriously hurt the film even if it is actually good. Just give it a chance before you slate it , that's all I ask .

And for the record I'm very sceptical of who actually has read the script and who is basing it on hearsay . The script isn't even online anymore , I have it because a very friendly Australian fan gave it to me , it's largely inside circles where the script is floating about , you can't just google it and find it , so I'm very wary of this whole "I've read the script" thing , sure you might off , but I think a lot of people are just regurgitating what other people have told them. I've read the script 3 times , and each time I read it , it got progressively  better and better so there's that.  ::)

A "true" fan doesn't blindly swallow whatever slop they are given. You can stop telling me what I can or cannot do based on what I do or do not know, thank you.  :)

You need to stop being so insecure about other people having opinions that are not glowing praise. No, they will not hurt the film. The people putting together the ads, the writers, the director, the actors. They are the ones that will either make this thing succeed or fail. It's not up to the audience to make it succeed. We're the ones putting down money to see it. It's up to them to deliver quality, one way or the other.

Quote from: MudButt on May 19, 2018, 01:24:19 AM
In all honesty it's about execution. Whether or not that made changes to that script is meaningless. You can make a bad movie from a good script and vice versa. Plenty of things sound bad on paper and work out just fine. They've reshot the third act which in my opinion is where that script went way south. There's some good ideas there, it just needs to be reigned in a bit.

Up to a point. Terrible ideas are terrible ideas, you can only work against that so much. Now, if they take them out and replace them with more sensible or less insane stupidity then yes. You can change jokes, you can resequence events.

ELDERCLANLEADER

ELDERCLANLEADER

OpenMaw tell me where I told you what you can and cannot do ? I said just could you at least just watch the film first before you slate it , i said stop acting like you know what the film will turn out like , and that's exactly what you are doing . Where did I say the film is going to be awesome ? I didn't . Im simply implying that it's too early to judge the film currently, if it's bad believe me I'll be the first to be negative but right now your opinion isn't based on fact it's based on nothing. You remind me of those Star Wars fans that just skate every Star Wars film that comes out even thought they claim they are "fans"

Also if it was all that bad fox would of just pulled the plug , I don't accept any old slip either , I hated avp and predators and I'm not insecure by your opinions either , your entitled to them , especially when there is reason behind them , but right now openmaw frankly your opinions are largely just based on nothing but your own bias , I was the same a few months ago I'm no saint , and I'm not accusing you of hating on the film either ,  I'm cautiously excited, but some fans seem hell bent on sabataging any hype this film has got , and that's where it's damaging to the films box office , we live in the world of the internet , especially on Reddit and YouTube. I just don't like it when people pretend they know what the film will be like when they haven't even seen it , it's pretty arrogant in my opinion.

Stealth_Hunter

Quote from: MudButt on May 19, 2018, 01:24:19 AM

I agree with this. I'm having fun thinking about the movie before it comes out, but I do have standards and won't praise what I don't like once I see it before my eyes. It depends how it's executed.

Still haven't seen anything I hate.

ELDERCLANLEADER

Also the new judge dredd film was awesome but failed at the box office because of a dodgy trailer and negativity , so your wrong openmaw negativity can kill a films success regardless of its good.

brokentusk420

Openmaw is right.  Get off your high horse old man clan leader. You been at it since the trailer.  Given the track record of the movies that came after predator 2 it is a safe assumption this movie will be garbage too.  It hasn't really show to be much else with the horrible leaked scripts, bad test screenings, extensive reshoots, and not to mention the lazy jump the shark idea of bringing in hybrids....

OpenMaw

Quote from: ELDERCLANLEADER on May 19, 2018, 02:15:05 AM
Also the new judge dredd film was awesome but failed at the box office because of a dodgy trailer and negativity , so your wrong openmaw negativity can kill a films success regardless of its good.

Dredd did not fail at the box office because of some random assholes on a forum like me were saying it looked like garbage. Honestly, nobody knew that movie was coming out until it was already released. If anything is to blame for Dredd's poor reception, it was bad marketing. Nobody knew about it.

I get where you're coming from, but you're ultimately wrong. If they've made major changes, which I will restate the trailer we have seen does not indicate at all, then there's a change we're going to get something decent, but between the leaked outline, the script, this trailer, and other aspects I don't have hopes we're going to get a quality Predator film this time.

I'm not someone who goes into movies with blind optimism that it'll be good, especially when things indicate the opposite. I do try to go into films in a neutral position.

I'm not saying it can't be good. I'm saying that some very basic fundamental things in that script need to change before it can be good, and I hope that Shane Black was sensible when he read the script that he said "Wow, that's a terrible. Let's change that."

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: brokentusk420 on May 19, 2018, 03:43:00 PM
Given the track record of the movies that came after predator 2 it is a safe assumption this movie will be garbage too.

Yes that makes perfect sense... Wait...

Master

Quote from: brokentusk420 on May 19, 2018, 03:43:00 PM
Openmaw is right.  Get off your high horse old man clan leader. You been at it since the trailer.  Given the track record of the movies that came after predator 2 it is a safe assumption this movie will be garbage too.  It hasn't really show to be much else with the horrible leaked scripts, bad test screenings, extensive reshoots, and not to mention the lazy jump the shark idea of bringing in hybrids....
Quote from: OpenMaw on May 19, 2018, 03:54:09 PM
Quote from: ELDERCLANLEADER on May 19, 2018, 02:15:05 AM

Dredd did not fail at the box office because of some random assholes on a forum like me were saying it looked like garbage. Honestly, nobody knew that movie was coming out until it was already released. If anything is to blame for Dredd's poor reception, it was bad marketing. Nobody knew about it.

I get where you're coming from, but you're ultimately wrong. If they've made major changes, which I will restate the trailer we have seen does not indicate at all, then there's a change we're going to get something decent, but between the leaked outline, the script, this trailer, and other aspects I don't have hopes we're going to get a quality Predator film this time.

I'm not someone who goes into movies with blind optimism that it'll be good, especially when things indicate the opposite. I do try to go into films in a neutral position.

I'm not saying it can't be good. I'm saying that some very basic fundamental things in that script need to change before it can be good, and I hope that Shane Black was sensible when he read the script that he said "Wow, that's a terrible. Let's change that."

Basically this. You guys are right. It's not negativity for the sake of it, it's the story full of stupid ideas. No one who read the script said "woah, it's the great story! Can wait!". Most outright say it's crap and others who are more toned down and/or positive say "let's see who it turns out". I'm the most towards third group, but the crapieness of the script is a fact.

ELDERCLANLEADER

Yeah I mean don't get me wrong openpaw I like your logic , as it does have solid reason , the same reason I was negative for a while for. But honestly when people say the script isn't bad Im wary of they have actually read it , I've read the script 3 times now , and there was plenty I did like , and some things I admittedly didn't , for me it was the third act where things were very questionable,  but seeing as they reshot the entire third act I have hope , however I don't think the trailer was bad , but it wasn't great either , providing they follow up with a solid trailer in the coming weeks , it did what it intended which was a sneak peak. This isn't a personal attack on you openpaw , as I've said you are more than entitled to your opinion, but I'm equally entitled to mine. And I still think the simple fact remains we just don't know how well this film will turn out , it could be bad , it could be good. Like I said previously the original predator had massive changes made in its production, the script was quite a bit different too. My point being one bad early script does not mean it's going to suck , there are countless examples for films that shouldn't work on paper , turning out to be great films. Like many people have said it's ultimately down to execution. As long as the predators are badass and have flavour I'll be happy , as it's ultimately why I love the franchise , to just have fun !  ;D

ELDERCLANLEADER

My guts tell me this film will flop , not because it's bad but because of the negativity, websites like rotten tomatoes can seriously damage a film , the way they rate films is a bit of joke , even studios have accused rotten tomatoes of trying to sabotage their films , however I think it will end up a cult classic in the long run , I just honestly think the film will be far better than it seems right now. But of course that's only my opinion.

OpenMaw

Quote from: ELDERCLANLEADER on May 19, 2018, 05:17:02 PM
My guts tell me this film will flop , not because it's bad but because of the negativity, websites like rotten tomatoes can seriously damage a film , the way they rate films is a bit of joke , even studios have accused rotten tomatoes of trying to sabotage their films , however I think it will end up a cult classic in the long run , I just honestly think the film will be far better than it seems right now. But of course that's only my opinion.

What part of this film that you've heard about or read about so far screams "cult classic" to you?

ELDERCLANLEADER

Like I said , it's all on execution. The fact is we have a good solid cast , a good director and a large budget , it has a lot going for it .

I'm not going to throw all my eggs in one basket all because of a old bad dodgy script. Without the changes made to the original predator film during its production , it would of just been another B movie , instead it's now a cult classic. The Predator could easily do the same. Also if you go into the cinema with totally negative vibes to begin with , you are just going to pick the film apart , rather than enjoying it for what it is , and again openmaw ehy can't you just admit that the truth is you don't know how it will turn out. You seem convinced it's going to bad , it's like your not prepared to give it a chance first.

Huggs

Quote from: ELDERCLANLEADER on May 19, 2018, 05:17:02 PM

If the film has received negativity, it's earned it. Between what I've heard of the leaked script, the lack of marketing thus far, and some of the set photos that have been seen, plus the trailer, it doesn't "look" (at this time) like a good movie. Goodness gracious, the reactions to the previews were such that a chunk of the movie had to be redone, and some tonal changes made.

Now is this enough to say it sucks? I don't think so. Websites that review movies can say whatever they want, but as an individual, I prefer to form my own opinions on whether something was good or not by experiencing it for myself. I wouldn't give R.T. too much credit for whatever happens to this film, nor would I say it's going to be a cult classic. It will be released and real life everyday people (like us) will see it. It's going to work for some, and fail for others. And for certain viewers, it'll be downright terrible

In my personal opinion, if this film flops it will simply be because it will have failed to resonate with the majority of the modern audience. I see it bringing in 215m-260m on the high end and definitely no more. Maybe 275m, if all the planets line up correctly. Probably making back 125% on top of it's production budget, or something to that effect. People want Dinosaurs and Pixar movies now; stuff the whole family can see. The market and the audience for this sort of thing is simply not what it used to be. And don't forget a pg-13 "Meg" is coming out in August, with a large budget and a barrel of laughs apparently. So that's not going to help any.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed