What would be a proper title for the third (and maybe last) prequel?

Started by Immortan Jonesy, May 12, 2018, 11:12:20 PM

Author
What would be a proper title for the third (and maybe last) prequel? (Read 12,166 times)

Master

Alien: Valhalla

We had one from Greek mythology and one from Hebrew. It's time for Norse cause why not.

Spoiler
Another  that comes to mind is Alien: f**ktard -
It focus on the plot abit more.
[close]

tleilaxu

Quote from: SM on May 18, 2018, 06:22:04 AM
Covenant 2 - Synthetic Boogaloo
Is this funny for boomers/gen x'ers?

Quote from: Master on May 18, 2018, 10:27:06 AM
Alien: Valhalla

We had one from Greek mythology and one from Hebrew. It's time for Norse cause why not.

Spoiler
Another  that comes to mind is Alien: f**ktard -
It focus on the plot abit more.
[close]
No, that's a really bad name. Valhalla is the Norse equivalent of heaven. There are other things in Norse mythology that could be potential candidates though. For example, there's a ship called Naglfar https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naglfar

Master

I wouldn't name the ship Naglfar. I wouldn't call it Titanic either.

SiL

Quote from: tleilaxu on May 18, 2018, 11:22:37 AM
Quote from: SM on May 18, 2018, 06:22:04 AM
Covenant 2 - Synthetic Boogaloo
Is this funny for boomers/gen x'ers?
And Millenials who know movies from before the 1990s.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on May 18, 2018, 12:29:06 AM
Quote from: whiterabbit on May 17, 2018, 11:45:04 PM
The thing about the prequel names is that they barely make any sense outside of being the name of the ship. What does the name Covenant even have to do with the movie aside from it is the name of the boat. It's the same with Prometheus. We all try to find a deeper meaning to it but there isn't any outside of it being the name of the boat.

They were planning on getting/taking/stealing something of those who they considered to be gods.

"The Titan Prometheus wanted to give mankind equal footing with the gods... And for that, he was cast from Olympus. Well, my friends, the time has finally come for his return." -Peter Weyland in Prometheus

As for Covenant.
Covenant -> Ark Of The Covenant -> The Covenant is an ark.

Quote from: Scorpio on May 18, 2018, 01:44:47 AM
Quote from: whiterabbit on May 17, 2018, 11:45:04 PM
What does the name Covenant even have to do with the movie aside from it is the name of the boat.

It has a lot to do with the movie, actually.  A covenant is basically a deal with God.

But the Covenant broke the deal by altering their course, and were thus punished.
No that is the meaning we give to it. The reason the films are called such is because the ships were named such. I mean hell even Ridley called Alien: Covenant, Alien: Paradise Lost just a week before later taking the ships name for the title. Same thing probably happened with Prometheus. Every movie needs a name and at the moment the scheme is clearly name if after the ship. Plus the ark of the covenant is a weapon not a boat load of couples.

Quote from: Master on May 18, 2018, 11:26:02 AM
I wouldn't name the ship Naglfar. I wouldn't call it Titanic either.
Man calling the next movie Titanic would be more on the nose than Space Jesus. :P

Paranoid Android

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on May 18, 2018, 12:29:06 AM
Covenant -> Ark Of The Covenant -> The Covenant is an ark.
The covenant is the Ten Commandments. It is the set of rules the Israelites accepted upon themselves when accepting God. It was the deal the two parties struck - God would help and provide for the Israelites, if they follow the ten rules he had written down for them. The ark in "Ark of the Covenant" is just the golden chest in which the Ten Commandments are stored. The chest in itself is worthless (other than, perhaps, its value in gold) - what's important is what's inside.

Which is exactly why the symbolism in Alien:Covenant is so shallow: The Covenant was the holiest artifact in the Israelites' possession, while the film features several instances in which the crew of the ship is shown to not give a flying f**k about the ship's cargo. The symbolism doesn't work beyond 'Here's a biblical term I recognize!'

SiL

Ridley said in one of his many rambling responses that the covenant in question was between the crew before they left on their mission.

Baron Von Marlon

Ark, like Noah's Ark.

"Shallow symbolism" or not. It's how I interpret it.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Scorpio on May 17, 2018, 09:05:03 AM
How about "Aliens on a Spaceship"

Dude, Scott already said he's had it with these muthaf*cking Aliens on these muthaf*cking spaceships.

Stolen

whiterabbit

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on May 18, 2018, 04:06:21 PM
Ark, like Noah's Ark.

Yea, that's were we have found ourselves. Doing the writers job. :P

This is getting much worse than trying to give the possible at one time Alien 5 movie a name.

tleilaxu

Quote from: whiterabbit on May 18, 2018, 09:12:33 PM
Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on May 18, 2018, 04:06:21 PM
Ark, like Noah's Ark.

Yea, that's were we have found ourselves. Doing the writers job. :P

This is getting much worse than trying to give the possible at one time Alien 5 movie a name.
Why is it the writer's job to hold your hand and tell you exactly what the title means? A good title is one that can be interpreted in multiple ways imo. It doesn't necessarily have to 100% mean a pact or an Ark containing commandments.

Paranoid Android

Quote from: tleilaxu on May 18, 2018, 10:42:40 PM
Why is it the writer's job to hold your hand and tell you exactly what the title means? A good title is one that can be interpreted in multiple ways imo. It doesn't necessarily have to 100% mean a pact or an Ark containing commandments.
It doesn't need to be 100% the same, but it does need to at least have similarities in the general sense, as in: "Something that's of great value to someone". The only one in the film who cares about Covenant's cargo is David, and to him they are just a resource. This leaves the Covenant with the symbolic gravitas of the Ore the Nostromo was carrying (and as a side note, Nostromo - a foreigner used as a tool by the rich for the sake of their greed - demonstrates how to properly use a ship's name in a symbolic way), which truly does reduce the film's title to "Eh, it's just the name of the ship".

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: Paranoid Android on May 18, 2018, 10:54:53 PM
It doesn't need to be 100% the same, but it does need to at least have similarities in the general sense, as in: "Something that's of great value to someone". The only one in the film who cares about Covenant's cargo is David, and to him they are just a resource.

A resource of great value.

SiL

SiL

Yeah, guys, again, the director of the film said "covenant" was meant in the sense of an agreement, between the crew towards their mission? This ... this is answered, why are we acting like the writers are withholding information?

EDIT

Ah; and Ridley being Ridley, he also said it's the sense of an Ark:

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/1630560/what-the-title-of-alien-covenant-really-means

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed