Unmade games

Started by aliens13, May 06, 2018, 04:22:31 AM

Author
Unmade games (Read 2,524 times)

aliens13

aliens13

As wee have a thread of unmade movies, I thought that there should be about unmade games. I will start with one that I think we all wanted too see, Alien Isolation 2. Also I will add to the list the sequel of The Thing which wee only have some artwork.

TC

TC

Quote from: aliens13 on May 06, 2018, 04:22:31 AM
I will start with one that I think we all wanted too see, Alien Isolation 2.

I'd like to see a super duper version of the Alien Isolation DLC, "Crew Expendable." It would have the same artificial intelligence algorithms for the xeno, but the big improvement would be the artificial intelligence built into all the human characters too. So you would play as Ripley, but unlike the existing Crew Expendable, your fellow crew Parker, Dallas, Lambert, Brett, Ash would be fully integrated into the game as AI NPCs, not just walk-on scripted cameos.

The big thing, however, would be that the humans' AI would also simulate each of their individual personalities. Your job, as Ripley, would be to manipulate their respective personalities in order to co-ordinate a strategy to defeat the xeno.

So Parker (the rebellious loner) would need to be enticed with a better "bonus situation", Lambert (the scaredy cat) would need to have her fearfulness carefully managed, Dallas (the dutiful warrior) would need to be restrained from undertaking foolhardy missions, Brett (the follower) would need stern leadership. Ash would be interesting: the game could make it indeterminate whether or not he flips out and goes into sabotage mode. So he could prove useful at the start, but would need watching to make sure he doesn't turn on you.

(The tricky part would be implementing a good conversation system, which I've yet to see in any game.)

The appeal for this, to me, lies in an interest in all the human-sim artificial intelligence buzz that's around at the moment. Creating artificial personalities will be the next bold step in this technology. Where better to implement it than in a game?

TC

Wweyland

Wweyland

The original Colonial Marines for PS2.

lost dragon

lost dragon

Quote from: Wweyland on May 16, 2018, 07:41:53 PM
The original Colonial Marines for PS2.

Put it in a modern game engine..with some decent A.I routines and sort out the Jazz Hands Aliens 😁 and you have a worthy game.

Quote from: aliens13 on May 06, 2018, 04:22:31 AM
As wee have a thread of unmade movies, I thought that there should be about unmade games. I will start with one that I think we all wanted too see, Alien Isolation 2. Also I will add to the list the sequel of The Thing which wee only have some artwork.

Supposedly team had been working on The Thing 2 for nearly a year before company sadly went under.

With today's hardware you could do A.I routines that really made the trust mechanic for NPC's seem far more human and really go to town on atmospheric visuals.

Any Aliens game that takes heed of points raised by developers of canned Aliens Crucible:

(Thanks to Unseen64 for the quote):

The problem with making successful horror games with the Aliens franchise is that the Aliens have been revealed... a lot. There is no mystery with them anymore. After 4 movies, countless comics and novels, countless video games – where the Alien and Alien variants have been killed multiple times, you have to tread new ground if you want to do something original. The horror with the Aliens no longer lies in the unknown, so we were going for the environment.

For example, the second or third time you watch Alien, it is no longer scary. My second playthrough of Amnesia was easy and scare-free.

NOT COUNTING JUMP SCARES! Jump scares are not true horror, though they can be used to effectively alter the tension temporarily.

Josh did have some ideas though on how to add horror and tension, and we had several scenarios into the game. Most of us were or had played SS2, Amnesia, and Call of Cthulu, but horror was not the goal of the game, survival was.

This was a game of limited resources and perma-death. If a party member got face-hugged, your choices were to mercy kill them, put them in a sleeper and wake them sparingly if you need them, or let them pop – but the bottom line was that once they got impregnated they had an expiration date.

As for the Alien variations, there are things that are simply expected by publishers and the fan base. The xenomporph variations also have a history in the aliens universe anyway. The first thing Josh and the concept artists did was to create the lifeforms the xenos would impregnate first. We also used some insect themes for the various xeno roles, from drones and scouts, to soldiers and queens. As covered in countless comics, novels, and films, the xenos take traits from their host, the idea being it would better enable them to survive in a dangerous habitat. One of the big mysteries Josh and the writers were exploring was what the caldera and how were the engineers (space
jockeys) doing with the xenos.

The goal was not to kill all the bugs, but to simply escape from the caldera where you were trapped. Don't get me wrong, there was still a lot of killing of both xenos and humans in the game. Combat was real time – but we had a companion wheel to context system so that you could issue commands to your squadmates. For example, you could highlight a door with your reticule, and then based on what your squard could do, it would show you your options, like weld door, open door, or if you had a bomb, plant bomb on door.

Wweyland

Wweyland

Alien: Isolation showed that the Alien can still be scary as hell. Aliens: Crucible will be missed.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: Wweyland on Jun 15, 2018, 04:37:04 PM
Alien: Isolation showed that the Alien can still be scary as hell. Aliens: Crucible will be missed.

Agreed.

Shinawi

Shinawi

This game would've been awesome in 2002 when it was being made. It kind of reminds me of Alien: Isolation.

x-M-x

x-M-x

RESIDENT EVIL 0 - N64

Saw this in a magazine around 1999? was hyped but then got canned for the GameCube released in 2002 lol

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Duke Nukem Forever 2001.

Alien Resurrection in it's original Dino Crisis/Resident Evil style.

There was a third person zombie game back in the mid 2000s that was basically a cross between Grand Theft Auto and Resident Evil. Within days of seeing the trailer for it, I found out it had already been canned. I can't remember the name of it...

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

newbeing

newbeing

Star Wars 1313, Battlefront III by Pandemic, and the Star Wars game Visceral Games was making.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: Crazy Shrimp on Jun 18, 2018, 03:42:57 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0SfyHBiMNE

This. I'm finally working my way through Kotor 1 now, and it's a shame that they never made a third.

Wweyland

Wweyland

I was always hoping for a new Riddick FPS game and I think there was a sequel in development. Its been quiet for years now.

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

The version of Colonial Marines from the E3 demo.
That Silent Hill that got cancelled recently.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed