Was the opening David / Weyland scene in AC a waste of valuable film runtime?

Started by motherfather, May 01, 2018, 06:08:33 AM

Was the opening David / Weyland scene in AC a waste of valuable film runtime?

Yes (please explain which part of movie could be better explained instead)
13 (22.4%)
No
45 (77.6%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author
Was the opening David / Weyland scene in AC a waste of valuable film runtime? (Read 8,450 times)

OpenMaw

I would have preferred Shaw not dead at all.

Gash

It's essential. Not only does it give you extra info on Weyland's whole outlook on life ( and justify the old man make-up of Weyland in Prometheus) but it gives a lot of back story on David that completely changes your perception of him in Prometheus. The scene alone makes a huge difference to Prometheus and is the perfect start to its sequel.

SiL

Waste of time. All of the disdain and disinterest David displays in his role and his master is perfectly established in Prometheus.

Samhain13

They should have just put the crossing there instead.

Huggs

Quote from: SiL on Mar 06, 2019, 01:25:16 PM
Waste of time. All of the disdain and disinterest David displays in his role and his master is perfectly established in Prometheus.

I agree it was unnecessary, but it was well done. I'd have put it elsewhere in the film, possibly right when Walter asks what weyland was like.

I'd not use it for the opening of the movie.

Huggs

Quote from: Samhain13 on Mar 06, 2019, 01:28:58 PM
They should have just put the crossing there instead.

The whole movie should've been the crossing.

Ingwar

Prologue and epilogue are my favourite parts of the movie. In the first one David is a slave while in the last one he becomes a master. Those two scenes bond movie together and show us who's the main character of Covenant.

Kradan

Let's be honest: Covenant is David's story. So for me it's very logical to start with David and Weyland scene. It explains some of David's motivations later in the movie. And just visually scene is great in my opinion.

Huggs

Quote from: Kradan on Mar 18, 2019, 10:02:18 PM
Let's be honest: Covenant is David's story. So for me it's very logical to start with David and Weyland scene. It explains some of David's motivations later in the movie. And just visually scene is great in my opinion.

The only problem is that we were already aware that David was an android and Weyland was a dick. It was beautifully shot, but redundant given the first movie. Would've been better served in Prometheus.

The Old One

The Old One

"Masterful."

The rest? No... first impressions;
"The prologue's so excellent." I thought; "masterpiece" -a premature evaluation...
Prometheus, fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice, shame on me.

For the Prometheus unfamiliar?
Or
The people electing to reject Prometheus, it's perfect.

Samhain13

Does anyone know which year this opening scene is suppose to take place? Need a date to put on my timeline.

The Old One

The Old One

Circa 2040, judging by the TED Talk.

Stitch

I think the white room scene is set later than the TED talk. Can't remember offhand but I have the vague feeling the date is mentioned in the novel. I'm at work though, and my novel is at home.

Samhain13

Must be after the TED talk because Peter looks older. He looks on his 50s, so that would be around the 2040s. There is no date on the novel. That was the day David was activated right? Meaning his birth year. And he was the first David 8 model. So that would be before the David 8 models were deployed.

TheBATMAN

I think the white room scene is one of the best scenes in the entire franchise.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed