Was the opening David / Weyland scene in AC a waste of valuable film runtime?

Started by motherfather, May 01, 2018, 06:08:33 AM

Was the opening David / Weyland scene in AC a waste of valuable film runtime?

Yes (please explain which part of movie could be better explained instead)
13 (22.4%)
No
45 (77.6%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author
Was the opening David / Weyland scene in AC a waste of valuable film runtime? (Read 8,383 times)

Scorpio

She was given proper closure, though, more so than Hicks who was only mentioned once by Clemens and then forgotten for the rest of the movie.

MU-TH-UR 6000

As some of you peeps mentioned, it's one of the best sequences in the movie and shouldn't even been considered to be removed. Not only does it set the gothic tone of the movie really well, it also bridges one of the most interesting aspects from Prometheus, the "daddy" issues, which are also closely related with David's path in Covenant. He wants to be a creator. He wants to be a father. He is awakened surrounded by art made by us, in an almost suffocating way, with Weyland immediately telling him how superior we are because we're capable of both giving life (organic and synthetic) and create such beautiful pieces. When you start a conversation with an android with a (probably) superior intellect than us, some resemblance of free will and a very tepid sense of morals, you're in for a ride if you're not careful.

The viral video for Walter served as an awesome counterpart. Much more formal, cold and robotic. Couldn't be squeezed onto the movie for obvious reasons but I really enjoy these complementary little shorts.

Huggs

I wouldn't call it a waste. The scene could've been alittle shorter though. It was good to see Guy again, and the birth of David was a cool idea. I just didn't care for the whole "why are we here" dialogue that took up the later portion of the scene. I was saying, "oh god, not this stuff again." And boy, did they nail that teapot lift right on the money. Had I looked away for a moment, I'd have sworn David was peeing in that poor mans drink.  :D

SM

MU-TH-UR 6000

"Bring me this pee, David. Bring me the pee!"

Evanus

Quote from: Scorpio on May 01, 2018, 07:15:24 PM
Quote from: 0321recon on May 01, 2018, 04:11:48 PM
It nicely set up David's story though...the 12 minute Prometheus bridge is what got sacrificed in the process. Due to that we don't know if David truly cared for Shaw, did he kill her before the bombing or was she asleep and awaken afterwards.

Scalia should had respected Scott and kept the crossing or at least moved the entire unedited sequence were we see David and Walter in Shaw's grave than what we got in the viral or in the film itself.

The Crossing does not belong in the movie because Shaw's story is over.  It's just a pointless cameo. 

The cut that exists is perfect and is the best cut.  The Evanus cut is a boring and overlong film with weird edits, imo.  But if you enjoy it, that's fine.
Thank you!  :D

But on topic, I love the opening scene. Perfect opening to the film, in my opinion. Seeing a younger Weyland was also pretty cool.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Huggs on May 01, 2018, 10:06:41 PM
And boy, did they nail that teapot lift right on the money. Had I looked away for a moment, I'd have sworn David was peeing in that poor mans drink.  :D

Now you know why David was so eager to make Ms. Vickers a cup of tea after she manhandled him.

Huggs

Highland

I like the scene, but if the movie had to be cut inside 2 hours it should have been chopped with that time put on the back end.

Ideally, keep the scene, but add 20 minutes on the movie split between Oram and the final ship.

bb-15

Quote from: Evanus on May 02, 2018, 10:21:12 AM
But on topic, I love the opening scene. Perfect opening to the film, in my opinion. Seeing a younger Weyland was also pretty cool.

Yeah. The AC opening sets up David's character for the rest of the movie but also helps explain his relationship with Weyland in Prometheus.
Good stuff.

;)

OpenMaw

I'll be honest. I just don't like it. I don't like anything they did with David in Covenant, though.

I felt what Covenant says of their relationship does not jive with what Prometheus showed us. It was ironically enough the subtlety of Prometheus that appealed to me with regards to David. His disdain for human grew slowly. It was a journey we took with him. I never got the impression that Weyland and David shared animosity at all in Prometheus. I got the impression David did feel a sense of morose over Weyland's line about his lack of a human soul.

Do you really think Weyland wouldn't have pulled the plug the moment David showed signs of rebellion? Putting myself in Weyland's shows there's no way I would have stood for it. Starts with the tea, ends with a magazine shoved down my throat. Nope.

Huggs

Quote from: OpenMaw on May 03, 2018, 11:25:20 PM
I'll be honest. I just don't like it. I don't like anything they did with David in Covenant, though.

I felt what Covenant says of their relationship does not jive with what Prometheus showed us. It was ironically enough the subtlety of Prometheus that appealed to me with regards to David. His disdain for human grew slowly. It was a journey we took with him. I never got the impression that Weyland and David shared animosity at all in Prometheus. I got the impression David did feel a sense of morose over Weyland's line about his lack of a human soul.

Do you really think Weyland wouldn't have pulled the plug the moment David showed signs of rebellion? Putting myself in Weyland's shows there's no way I would have stood for it. Starts with the tea, ends with a magazine shoved down my throat. Nope.

The beauty of holographic technology, less paper. That, and it's hard to choke somebody to death with an accordion.

SM

QuoteDo you really think Weyland wouldn't have pulled the plug the moment David showed signs of rebellion?

He would.  And David knew it.  So he played the servant, knowing he would outlive his creator. 

OpenMaw

Quote from: SM on May 03, 2018, 11:52:19 PM
QuoteDo you really think Weyland wouldn't have pulled the plug the moment David showed signs of rebellion?

He would.  And David knew it.  So he played the servant, knowing he would outlive his creator.

I just don't see it. Weyland is portrayed with such a strong ego and need for control that I can't see the character not immediately terminating David.

426Buddy

426Buddy

David could have been programed to actually serve Weyland. After Weylands death David was freed and not controlled by any other behaviorial inhibitors (they always were a bit twitchy).  He aslo had his head ripped off and went a long time without maintenance.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed