William Gibson's Alien 3

Started by Ultramorph, Apr 26, 2018, 08:06:32 PM

Author
William Gibson's Alien 3 (Read 150,798 times)

Still Collating...

I hope this does very well so we see all these scripts and the few original novels being adapted to comic form eventually.

Perfect-Organism

Yes, I agree.  Thinking about this has just given me a new way of looking at the Alien series.  Many have been arguing about what is canon and what is not canon.  Should Alien films be retconned or not?  I propose to just let it go and accept the Alien series as an exploration of alternate possibilities.  None of which would be intended to be more valid or real than the other.  It's fiction!  I think that the core kernel of the series is Alien and possibly Aliens, and then as time goes by it would be awesome to see different takes on not just where those films' stories could continue, but also completely different interpretations of what the aliens and the space jockeys are.

This way, Alien 3 is valid, Blomkamp's film is valid, Gibson's script is valid, etc...

Huggs

Huggs

Seeing as how this is not some purely original endeavor, but an actual unused movie script for the franchise, I'm mostly interested to see what (if any) effect this will have on the future of the films. Most likely, the effects will be negligible. But I'm hoping somebody in a decent position will be paying attention, should this receive a positive reception. It's time Hollywood got back to making actual Alien films again.

Don't get me wrong, I've come to appreciate the prequels quite a bit. Yes, even covenant for what it tried to be. But the 5-7 year wait for these kind of films is just too long a time span to waste on underwhelming products that can't quite figure out where they were going in the first place.

SM

SM

Make Space Commies Great Again.

Seriously - it's a comic book based on a very old script that was almost instantly outdated.

Xiggz456

Xiggz456

Quote from: SM on Jul 15, 2018, 02:07:04 AM

Seriously - it's a comic book based on a very old script that was almost instantly outdated.

Haha true but Russia is currently back in the fore front of shady shit in the world. So it's somewhat fitting to use this script now.

Perfect-Organism

The probability that we are doomed to repeat the mistakes of the past is probably fairly high.

SM

SM

Quote from: Xiggz456 on Jul 15, 2018, 03:29:44 AM
Quote from: SM on Jul 15, 2018, 02:07:04 AM

Haha true but Russia is currently back in the fore front of shady shit in the world. So it's somewhat fitting to use this script now.

I don't think they ever stopped.  ;D

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jul 15, 2018, 05:04:16 AM
The probability that we are doomed to repeat the mistakes of the past is probably fairly high.

The Cold War went far better than any intellectuals and academics expected. The constant unrelenting fear of total annihilation, which we somehow managed to avoid and beat the odds. I can only hope we repeat those mistakes that kept us alive.

As to whether it was instantly dated or not... I mean... This is the Alien franchise. All three of the original films are of their time. James Cameron laughs at the USCM tech remarking "we thought we were being so high tech." Even though, to give the film some credit the idea of using computers to operate robotic sentries is actually very of the now. And of course in Alien 3 the phrase "terminal with audio capabilities" makes me laugh a little every time.

It's actually one of the things I love about the original films. Big bulky old school analog technology. There's something really satisfying and meaty about it.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Peter Briggs' AVP would be neat to see as a comic (especially if he can remember what was different in the second draft :laugh:) Might be a bit too similar to the first AVP series though.

Russ840

Russ840

Yeah that would be interesting.

I would choose Blomkamps sequel and Alien Engineers first though

SM

SM

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jul 15, 2018, 09:43:46 AM
Peter Briggs' AVP would be neat to see as a comic (especially if he can remember what was different in the second draft :laugh:) Might be a bit too similar to the first AVP series though.

A comic based on a script that was based on a comic.

The Old One

The Old One

Lort, what have we done.

skull-splitter

skull-splitter

Quote from: SM on Jul 15, 2018, 10:52:46 AM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jul 15, 2018, 09:43:46 AM

A comic based on a script that was based on a comic.
Briggs managed to alter quite a few things. I've read it about ten years ago, should read it again, but there where more suspenseful scenes as I remember...

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SM on Jul 15, 2018, 10:52:46 AMA comic based on a script that was based on a comic.

Kinda like Street Fighter - they made a video game based on the movie which was based on the original game.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Briggs' script is actually very different to the comic. The setting is a jungle canopy with lot's of swamp, instead of the dry desert. The characters have almost completely different roles except for Machiko. The interactions between Alien and Predator are all completely different. The relationship between Broken Tusk and Machiko, though ultimately the same, is setup and plays out very differently until the end. There is one description in the script that basically says the aliens are using all the wild life to generate new variations we've never seen before. The entire young queen being born in the hive... Lot's of shit.

In my Oasis project I actually lifted some of the redneck stuff. I love when science fiction mixes in a bit of that southern flavor. Ties in nicely with the frontiersmen spirit of space.

As to Vincent Ward's script, it already has a (partially finished) graphic story on his website:
http://vincentwardfilms.com/project/concepts/alien-3/graphic-novel-in-8-parts/part-1/

I hope that get's finished someday, the art is beautiful. Very evocative of the religious imagery that no doubt inspired Ward's direction.

I know, everybody thinks the wooden planet is bat shit, but I think if Ward had been given a chance to actually see that project through to the end it would have been a far more special piece than what we ultimately got, which was choice cuts from his story with the more conventional "prison planet" grafted into place. 

By no means would it have been a mainstream hit. Hell no. I think Fox pretty much knew that it had doomed the project.

Gibson's Alien III was the most sensible of all the proposals. For me the idea of seeing all the Soviet-inspired space stuff would have been so much fun. It's one of things I love about 2010, seeing that big ol' industrial space ship. Or seeing Cherno in Pacific Rim. Something about that Cold War inspired imagery is just really fun.

Not to mention, thematically, it's doing what a natural progression from Alien and Aliens should be doing. Expanding on the themes and narrative threads. This isn't just one corporation being greedy, this is an interstellar cold war. This isn't just about Ripley, this is about the whole of the human race now being put on the line.

Plus, the original Alien is still there, and it has one of my favorite reveals in any of the old scripts. Hiding amidst a piece of machinery, blending in, unseen, until it stirs...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed