William Gibson's Alien 3

Started by Ultramorph, Apr 26, 2018, 08:06:32 PM

Author
William Gibson's Alien 3 (Read 150,888 times)

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Not sure why they should play it down.  I like when they go retro, Isolation-style.

Perfect-Organism

I'm not sure that the whole commies vs capitalists angle is the best direction for the overall Aliens series.  It's supposed to be about the lead characters, the monsters and secondly about the cold company.  It's now also become about the androids and engineers so adding another conflict layer as a focal point is questionable.  But this is an alternate take, and I am all for going full tilt in exploring the dynamics of the communist / capitalist conflict in this context.  The series should be true to the script.  Otherwise, why bother?

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

If the company's primary interest in the aliens is in their potential application as bioweapons, it makes sense that there may be some hostile foreign power that they could be used against.  Otherwise, why bother?

The Old One

The Old One

Indeed.

It's just a matter of time
before they're introduced
somehow in the films.

Capitalism Vs Communism
At least would be relevant
to the themes of Alien and
follow through with and
conclude the bioweapon
subplot effectively.

Rather than just:

"Waylen is teh evilz!"

The Old One

The Old One

Now, that's an idea
I can get behind.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Could be that Ripley and the aliens were simply cloned by the other side.  Their inadequate containment methods even mirror those of the UPP, not to mention their apparent disdain for "greedy corporations."

The Old One

The Old One

V- True.

Perfect-Organism

The need for weapons does indeed indicate that there is an enemy that they will be used against.  Communism may have made sense back when this was written.  I would think that a better reason to have a need for such advanced weapons would be the engineers.  That of course hinges on whether humans are aware of their existence.

The Old One

The Old One

Hopefully not.

I don't want Alien to turn into a
full blown Mass Effect Space Opera, although I love Mass Effect.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Maybe Arcturians are like the asari.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: The Old One on Jan 21, 2019, 07:58:02 PMI don't want Alien to turn into a full blown Mass Effect Space Opera, although I love Mass Effect.

The Rage War novels already did that.

I really enjoyed those books.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jan 21, 2019, 09:40:36 PM
Quote from: The Old One on Jan 21, 2019, 07:58:02 PMI don't want Alien to turn into a full blown Mass Effect Space Opera, although I love Mass Effect.

The Rage War novels already did that.

I really enjoyed those books.

Trash Novels. IMO.

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 21, 2019, 08:58:50 PM
Maybe Arcturians are like the Asari.

The "Arcturians" should simply be a human colony with a high percentage of intersex people on a planet orbiting Arcturus.
Turning them into Asari doesn't fit the lonely universe Alien presents and
I believe the actual intention of the line in Aliens is more a suggestion of a further parallel
in James Cameron's Vietnam allegory; where treating another race as subhuman because they were different,
was either not acknowledged as heinous or perhaps even encouraged by military superiors.

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jul 20, 2018, 06:58:16 PM

The whole Arcturian's are aliens thing is actually rather sickening when you understand
James Cameron's intent with the line.
He was drawing Vietnam Parallels there.

IE, this was basically like that one scene in Full Metal Jacket where Joker tells his buddy Rafterman
"Half these gook whores are servicing the Vietcong, the other half have TB.
So make sure you only f**k the ones that cough."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hch3HL8gPTk

IE: The Arcturian colony is full of "sub-human trash" and it doesn't matter if they're transsexuals, dudes, or chicks.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Sounds more like current-day Bangkok.

http://www.bangkok.com/magazine/ladyboys.htm

Corporal Hicks

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed