Which do you prefer

I love the sequels! the prequels stink
I like the sequels better
The prequels! the sequels stink
I like the prequels better
I like them both
I don't care and I'm annoyed of this subject
Author
The prequels or the Sequels? (Read 10,263 times)

SiL

SiL

She's very clearly not suicidal in any of the films.

Even the one where she commits suicide.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Local Trouble on May 21, 2018, 08:35:52 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 21, 2018, 12:35:09 PM
My Mrs hates the Alien films purely because she doesn't like Ripley. I don't get it myself.  :-\ Weirdo.

Just a theory, but could she be jealous that she has to (in a sense) share you with Ripley?

Ha, no. She just genuinely just doesn't like Ripley. It's been a while since we talked about it but it was (IMHO) silly reasons. I vaguely remember her saying something about disliking Ripley wanting to leave Dallas, Kane and Lambert in the airlock.

She enjoys the Predator films, though.

SM

SM

Quote from: Local Trouble on May 22, 2018, 06:24:04 AM
Quote from: SM on May 22, 2018, 01:49:53 AM
If she'd said to Bishop 'the Aliens are all over at the colony, I should have a good chance' this wouldn't even be an issue.

It didn't take Mr. Floppy Tubes very long to get Newt back to the nest and cocooned though so why assume that the rest of the aliens remained at the colony?

Great big tracker signal and a lack of Aliens in the nest.

QuoteShe's suicidal, that's the only way to explain it.

ye gods...

Explain it.  Please.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on May 22, 2018, 09:04:39 AM
If she'd said to Bishop 'the Aliens are all over at the colony, I should have a good chance' this wouldn't even be an issue.

It didn't take Mr. Floppy Tubes very long to get Newt back to the nest and cocooned though so why assume that the rest of the aliens remained at the colony?

I meant why would Ripley assume that before going after Newt?  I agree about the tracker, but it also means that the aliens who attacked them at the colony also had time to return to the nest.

Scorpio

Scorpio

Quote from: SiL on May 22, 2018, 08:26:56 AM
She's very clearly not suicidal in any of the films.

Even the one where she commits suicide.

She did try and kill herself 2 or 3 times in Alien 3.

In Aliens she puts her life in danger (deliberately, not by accident).

Explain it.  Please.

I was responding to Local Trouble's post.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

She tried to kill herself only after she found out she had a chestburster growing inside of her.  If she was truly suicidal, she wouldn't have been tempted by Bishop II's offer at the end.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 22, 2018, 08:45:21 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on May 21, 2018, 08:35:52 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 21, 2018, 12:35:09 PM
My Mrs hates the Alien films purely because she doesn't like Ripley. I don't get it myself.  :-\ Weirdo.

Just a theory, but could she be jealous that she has to (in a sense) share you with Ripley?

Ha, no. She just genuinely just doesn't like Ripley. It's been a while since we talked about it but it was (IMHO) silly reasons. I vaguely remember her saying something about disliking Ripley wanting to leave Dallas, Kane and Lambert in the airlock.

She enjoys the Predator films, though.

We were all supposed to dislike Ripley for doing that.  Her caution was vindicated at the end though, so why would the Mrs. Hicks hold a grudge?

I think Ripley personifies your fandom to her.  ;)

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Local Trouble on May 22, 2018, 09:32:49 AM
We were all supposed to dislike Ripley for doing that.  Her caution was vindicated at the end though, so why would the Mrs. Hicks hold a grudge?

Nah, Ripley is completely in the right there. I can't dislike her for that. But for it to still through as one of the main things that always gets brought up in why she doesn't like her after 4 films... :laugh:

QuoteI think Ripley personifies your fandom to her.  ;)

I'll put that theory accross to her and see what she thinks. lol

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Expect denials.  8)

Scorpio

Scorpio

She tried to kill herself only after she found out she had a chestburster growing inside of her.  If she was truly suicidal, she wouldn't have been tempted by Bishop II's offer at the end.

If you try to kill yourself, then you're probably suicidal.

People have all different reasons for killing themselves, the reason doesn't matter.  Just the fact she is trying to kill herself means she is suicidal. 

She is suicidal in Alien 3.  Borderline suicidal in Aliens.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Are we having a heated argument yet?

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Scorpio on May 22, 2018, 09:28:24 AM
She did try and kill herself 2 or 3 times in Alien 3.
She tries to get Dillon to kill her earlier and the Alien slightly later.

QuoteIn Aliens she puts her life in danger (deliberately, not by accident).
That's not at all synonymous with being suicidal.

Quote from: Scorpio on May 22, 2018, 09:53:10 AM
If you try to kill yourself, then you're probably suicidal.
In Ripley's case she's not trying to kill herself, she's trying to kill the Alien. It's just that the Alien is in her and the only way to kill it is to kill herself. Sure, it's technically suicidal ideation -- but she's not the person she's trying to harm, the Alien is.

SM

SM

Quote from: Local Trouble on May 22, 2018, 09:27:40 AM

I meant why would Ripley assume that before going after Newt?  I agree about the tracker, but it also means that the aliens who attacked them at the colony also had time to return to the nest.

Calculated risk.  The Aliens were still chasing them after Newt had been abducted.

QuoteBorderline suicidal in Aliens.

Seeing as Sil has already debunked the rest of your baseless guff - what's this based on?

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

His irrational tenacity?

TheRaven

TheRaven

I enjoy ALIENS, ALIEN3 (the directors cut version), PROMETHEUS and ALIEN: COVENANT.

and the first AvP is an enjoyable fun film tbh, the rest I coulda done without in my own opinion.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 22, 2018, 09:38:32 AM

Nah, Ripley is completely in the right there. I can't dislike her for that. But for it to still through as one of the main things that always gets brought up in why she doesn't like her after 4 films... :laugh:

I never disliked Ripley for that either, she was being smart even if it was cold. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, plus the quarantine procedure was quite clear. I don't condemn her actions in Aliens either, going back in to the hive to get Apone and Dietrich would have been risky with no guarantee of success and probably almost certain casualities for the rest of the squad. I love how she evolved towards the end and her motives are quite clear but objectively, its strange that she risks all for one with less favourable odds and suceeds, when she wouldn't for Apone or Dietrich when she had more manpower. It makes you wonder. I don't know what I would I have done. On one hand, I wouldn't want to leave anyone behind but on another, I don't want to risk more lives for one who may or may not be infected already.

With a Xeno number of over a hundred, a big signal in one area wouldn't necessarily mean another area is clear since there is more than enough Xenos to go around. Both were risks, its just she had grown close to Newt and projected her maternal instincts onto her. It is understandable and acceptable as a good mother would go to hell and back for their child no matter the risk, I don't condemn her for it personally, she is human and love is not rational. I suppose a better word would be emotional bias than hypocrite, as her actions were the result of her maternal instincts towards Newt. I don't know if growth is the right word since we don't know if she would have done that for anyone else. Dying in Alien 3 put stop to any potential heroics.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed