What do you want for the future? Possible Covenant sequel aside.

Started by Baron Von Marlon, Apr 24, 2018, 10:17:35 AM

So what do you want?

A movie with one xenomorph. Something like Alien or Alien 3.
Just give me a movie with multiple xenomorphs.
Xenomorphs are ok. But I also want other variations like neomorphs and deacons.
I want more Engineers, black goo and strange creatures. Xenomorphs and AI optional.
Author
What do you want for the future? Possible Covenant sequel aside. (Read 58,102 times)

Evanus

Quote from: SM on Apr 25, 2018, 02:16:42 AM
There is no massive prequel hate (at least around here).  Most people are able to make legitimate criticisms without descending into hate. 
Not around here, indeed. But any other place... whew.

I can't decide what to vote for. They all sound fine to me, but right now I just want Ridley to finish his story. And I want it to be epic.

Jonesy1974

I don't want anything other than to see a sequel made.

I try not to go into films wanting them to be something in particular, its a bad idea and the reason people end up disappointed. I'd rather have an open mind and enjoy it for what it is rather than be disappointed because the film makers didn't share the same vision for the film that I did.

The Cruentus

Having high expectations can be a problem, in fact I think that is one of many reasons why Alien 3 failed, Cameron had raised the bar too high, It was unlikely that Alien 3 was going to surpass or match it.

That said, even going in with no expectations you can still be pretty disappointed. I became cynical with the franchise after Resurrection/AVP and I still get disappointed by Prometheus and Covenant, I guess when you got Scott as a director, you tend to expect more whether you aware of it or not, especially since he is the guy who directed the first film, which was a masterpiece. Granted he wasn't alone in making that film as good as it is.

As what I want for the future...I would like to see a reboot of the AVP side of things, perhaps kept in a seperate continuity with nothing to do the previous AVP films.

And maybe, just maybe a reboot on the origins of Alien where its not really revealed where they come from or if they are natural or unnatural, only that they were used as bio-weapons. The more I think about the prequels, the more I think they shouldn't be part of the main continuity. Have it as a spin off's or an alternate take instead. Like a "what if?" story.
There is many reasons why I have come to think this way recently, namely one of them is that like Resurrection, the tones of prequels don't really fit in my opinion and they largely ignore science and plausibilty. It probably doesn't bother many of you of course but I see the first film as fairly grounded in reality and I think such a gritty tone should have been kept in the series, instead they got more and more grandiose and loose with laws of reality.

reecebomb

Quote from: The Cruentus on Apr 25, 2018, 03:36:16 PM
Having high expectations can be a problem, in fact I think that is one of many reasons why Alien 3 failed, Cameron had raised the bar too high, It was unlikely that Alien 3 was going to surpass or match it.

That said, even going in with no expectations you can still be pretty disappointed. I became cynical with the franchise after Resurrection/AVP and I still get disappointed by Prometheus and Covenant, I guess when you got Scott as a director, you tend to expect more whether you aware of it or not, especially since he is the guy who directed the first film, which was a masterpiece. Granted he wasn't alone in making that film as good as it is.

As what I want for the future...I would like to see a reboot of the AVP side of things, perhaps kept in a seperate continuity with nothing to do the previous AVP films.

And maybe, just maybe a reboot on the origins of Alien where its not really revealed where they come from or if they are natural or unnatural, only that they were used as bio-weapons. The more I think about the prequels, the more I think they shouldn't be part of the main continuity. Have it as a spin off's or an alternate take instead. Like a "what if?" story.
There is many reasons why I have come to think this way recently, namely one of them is that like Resurrection, the tones of prequels don't really fit in my opinion and they largely ignore science and plausibilty. It probably doesn't bother many of you of course but I see the first film as fairly grounded in reality and I think such a gritty tone should have been kept in the series, instead they got more and more grandiose and loose with laws of reality.

Agreed, the prequels take place in a different (fake) reality.

DerelictShip

At this point just finish what you started, Covenant should have never had xenos, if it was only Neomorphs that movie would have been 3x better

tleilaxu

Embryos, engineers and black goo is all I ask for.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: The Cruentus on Apr 25, 2018, 03:36:16 PM

That's mainly what I want next. A new AvP, completely unrelated to the others but something more in line with the comics or the games.

Quote from: DerelictShip on Apr 25, 2018, 04:02:21 PM
At this point just finish what you started, Covenant should have never had xenos, if it was only Neomorphs that movie would have been 3x better

I wish they'd have committed to going with the Neomorphs too. Instead of shoe-horning in the Aliens at the end, go full hog and do something interesting with them.

Evanus

Yeah I really wanted to see some Neomorph action on the Covenant. Too bad it never happened. The Xenomorphs felt so rushed.

Scorpio

I did not think the xeno was "shoe-horned" in Covenant, same reason why I didn't think the Queen in Aliens or the Newborn were shoe-horned in those films.

Practically no build up at all to their appearance, where another creature provides the main menace in the first part of the film.  Then a new creature is introduced in the 3rd act and becomes the main villain for the rest of the film.  That's the standard formula for Alien by now, shown by Aliens, Alien Resurrection and Alien Covenant.

SM

There was a build up to the Queen.

Corporal Hicks

And Resurrection makes it plainly clear that there's been genetic crossover involved. Complaints of the Alien being shoehorned into Covenant aren't about build up - it's about pushing the new creature out the way, speeding up the lifecycle (I know we can fansplain it), recycling Alien in a third the time and not really doing anything with it.

SM

And the Queen and Newborn weren't really shoehorned, since they didn't exist prior.  The Alien did and it can be argued was shoehorned in to add extra appeal for the audience.

Scorpio

Well, if you want to put it that way, and each point of view is equally valid, then you could say they built up to the alien in Covenant as well through David's dialogue.

Otherwise the shoe-horned argument doesn't hold water for me - it is an Alien film regardless - how can you shoe-horn something when it's in the title?   I don't understand this line of reasoning.

Paranoid Android

You can shoehorn something that's in the title when its impact on the story being told is next to zero, making it obvious to the audience that its inclusion wasn't for the sake of the story, but rather for the sake of money. Every single scene with the Xenomorph in Covenant could've been done with the Neomorph and nobody would've noticed, which is in itself just a reskinned Xenomorph. The Xenomorph is in the film in order to advertise it; Not because someone had a story to tell that involved it.

Scorpio

Ridley mentioned somewhere on the bluray features that he didn't just want the alien in it.  So they added the Neomorph.  So in a way the Neomorph was shoehorned in, because it was supposed to just have aliens in it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed